Car seats set to be mandatory for children up to age 6 in Thailand - more laws to curb street racing

webfact

Just a thought. Someone has Chinese mate who will now flood the market with substandard child car seats and there will be a nice little kickback. Jeez I cant even get the missus to put her seatbelt on half the time. Nevermind she says. No police. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Article 123 has been amended and will mean that all children aged up to 6 years old will have to be in a car seat.

I've seen kids younger than that clinging-on for dear life on the back of motorbikes!  Only yesterday, in my rear-view-mirror, there was a guy riding a motorbike with a kid of about 2 years old who he was holding on his left knee, and he was right up my backside!

Article 123 can be amended all it wants, but it'll mean SWA!

• Like 1

So potentially millions of parents in Thailand will be faced with having to buy a car seat in the coming months before the September deadline. 

Or a lot of 2,000 baht fines are going to be levied.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They need to put their money where their mouth is then and bring Childrens Car Seats down to a price people can afford; have you seen the price of them here ?

Anyway; more window dressing to make it appear to The World (yes; that big place outside the Bubble that Thailand lives in ) that all is well for Health&Safety in La La Land !

Just as low-quality helmets at low price are on sale in supermarkets there are local companies who will produce child seats to match.

Car seats for children to be mandatory

Right, and 3 kids and a mom and dad on a motor bike is ok? Only if the front kid has both hands on the rear view mirrors?  ????

Car seats for children to be mandatory

Right, and 3 kids and a mom and dad on a motor bike is ok? Only if the front kid has both hands on the rear view mirrors?   You just can't make this stuff up????

• Sad 1

actually I found this funny at first but on reflection I'm pretty annoyed... why do these people bother to make such laws when they know with absolute certainty that they will be neither followed nor enforced. How can they stand there and publicly say this is the law without any embarrassment or people laughing in their faces!!! This clearly demonstrates the circus that is Thailand... Ridiculous absolutely ridiculous.... and yet here I am! ????

• Like 2

This is so ridiculous is makes me upchuck. Thai police can't do their jobs properly with drivers or motorcyclists. Do we really think they will patrol this law? Nothing but jokes and thought it was April fool's Day again. 

• Like 1

The windows are so blacked out, you couldn't even see into most cars.

Their way around it will be to make the windows darker - as cheaper than buying a kid's seat ????

• Like 1

Well the concept of child seating in vehicles is noteworthy, however the execution of the law might be a farce. It might also be difficult to adapt a cane barstool on the scooter in order to expand the child restraint concept to scooters, so scooters. Maybe the child can be restrained with a bungy cord 

38 minutes ago, tandor said:

...so the over 6 junior astronauts are still allowed to fly around the cabin.

Not really, it's already law in Thailand that people in the back seat (and front seats) must wear seat belts.

But of course for the back seats never enforced. 

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

So will a parent's lap be considered a child's car seat? 

I've been trying to persuade members of my wife's family that it is a not a good idea at all. But it goes in one ear and straight out the other.

One old dear, my wife's S-I-L always ends up having the next new born dumped on her to care for and she always carries the child on her lap, in the front with no seatbelt. Even pointing out the danger presented by the airbag makes no difference.

I'm convinced now that Thais take no notice of advice given regarding safety and just carry doing it the way they always have. Law or no law.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

How they are going to put car seats on back of open pickup??

Or the Motorcycle, where one can often see a family of 4, all on a single bike.  Nevermind,  that they ride on sidewalks and the wrong way in traffic. 

But if elected  officials  don't  make new laws, it would appear that they wouldn't  be doing their job. 

I digress, others already have said what everyone  is thinking.  Good on them to at least put the safety of children in the books first.  Now if they only could manage drunk driving. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What about all the motorbikes stopping at the red light on intersections.  There are always more than 5 there!!!!  

Are you implying  that they actually  stop at crossings  and obey traffic signs?  Lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Just a thought. Someone has Chinese mate who will now flood the market with substandard child car seats and there will be a nice little kickback. Jeez I cant even get the missus to put her seatbelt on half the time. Nevermind she says. No police. 

Sadly, you may actually be onto something  here.  If the law says one must have, and its the safety  of the child being put first, then some may purchase inferior seats to beat the law, and not for safety. 

1 hour ago, greenmonkey said:

actually I found this funny at first but on reflection I'm pretty annoyed... why do these people bother to make such laws when they know with absolute certainty that they will be neither followed nor enforced. How can they stand there and publicly say this is the law without any embarrassment or people laughing in their faces!!! This clearly demonstrates the circus that is Thailand... Ridiculous absolutely ridiculous.... and yet here I am! ????

In a similarity to your comment using the word,"Circus."

In Pattaya near Terminal 21 there is what used to be a round about, Dolphin Circle.  One way takes you back to beach road, another to Naklua, and lastly 3rd Road.  The official  name of this round about is, "Dolphin Circle," but the police box positioned at that point written  in English on the Box reads, "Dolphin Circus," Police box.  Clearly the translator understood that the money buying the English Translation was correct.  Its comical  because  you called it a circus, and it seems they agree.

1 hour ago, greenmonkey said:

First they can do it because  of the defamation laws.

Second  they can do it, because  they have to put something in the books, so it looks like they are actually  working for the public.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Or a lot of 2,000 baht fines are going to be levied.

Like they have license,  insurance,  registered the vehicle,  and pay fines when they are caught for other violations. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

In a similarity to your comment using the word,"Circus."

In Pattaya near Terminal 21 there is what used to be a round about, Dolphin Circle.  One way takes you back to beach road, another to Naklua, and lastly 3rd Road.  The official  name of this round about is, "Dolphin Circle," but the police box positioned at that point written  in English on the Box reads, "Dolphin Circus," Police box.  Clearly the translator understood that the money buying the English Translation was correct.  Its comical  because  you called it a circus, and it seems they agree.

Maybe giving away your nationality? Never heard of Piccadilly Circus?  

A Circus is a circle or ring. 

Maybe don't mock until you understand the language?

Edited by VocalNeal

21 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Sadly, you may actually be onto something  here.  If the law says one must have, and its the safety  of the child being put first, then some may purchase inferior seats to beat the law, and not for safety. 

I remember years ago you could buy a bt90 plastic motorcycle helmet. This was and probably still is satisfactory for motorcycle helmet laws.