Crypto Crashes

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Tesla's share price has recently suffered, thanks to Elon Musk loading off to finance his private acquisition of Twitter.

Back to topic. It's not just cryptocurrencies. Most assets are in a bear market now. - All my equity investments, incl. tech stocks, I have now temporarily 'written off' until 2040, not expecting a profit before:

2022-2030: recession, stocks flat,

2030-2040: recovery, 10% rise of stock markets/year.

(This is not investment advice, just gut feeling.)

Bear mkts last 1 to 5 years typically

Modern ones 6 mths to 2 years. Too much money to stay low

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense, mass adoption is happening, presidents bought the dip. Large institutions are buying, countries, etc. 

I think it would be foolish not to put a small proportion of your wealth into this, especially as fiat is losing 10% + every year. 

What in term is is mass adoption by numbers? How many people do invest in crypto currency’s and which known presidents have bought in? 

Cooperates invested in crypto by january not so impressive. Elon Musk is a financial stuntman, and nobody should follow hiscexample no matter how impressive can be on some areas. He is out of our legue

https://qz.com/2118492/the-biggest-corporate-holder-of-bitcoin-is-not-square-or-tesla/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough. I hope your investments are fruitful. 

I was still young enough when I did my last larger investment in 2006 and pulled out of the more risky investments, and now in it for the long run. Will Still be working another 10 years maybe, and already secured my future if not a complete melt down happens, I would be fine. Most people should pull out before to late, and especially if they already managed to be economical solid before 50, why continue to take risks? 

Risk everything in a age of 60 or 70? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Ladyfern

excuse me......say what, you mean buy PRCL? really

The Ladyfern area encompasses opportunities ranging from long-established pools which still hold development potential, to wide-open exploration fairways. Over much of the area, deeper targets have been the focus of exploration drilling, so there has been relatively little systematic exploration of the Lower Cretaceous.

Edited by ThailandRyan

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense, mass adoption is happening, presidents bought the dip. Large institutions are buying, countries, etc. 

I think it would be foolish not to put a small proportion of your wealth into this, especially as fiat is losing 10% + every year. 

How did you come up with that 10%+ nonsense?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

excuse me......say what, you mean buy PRCL? really

The Ladyfern area encompasses opportunities ranging from long-established pools which still hold development potential, to wide-open exploration fairways. Over much of the area, deeper targets have been the focus of exploration drilling, so there has been relatively little systematic exploration of the Lower Cretaceous.

Ladyfern was the natural gas investment bust of the early 2000s. In an environment remarkably similar to today's, people rotated into oil and gas after the 2001 tech crash. Oil I believe briefly hit a low of $6 or $8/barrel. NG storage was low and their was a drilling crisis. Ladyfern with its trillion cubic ft of ng was the promised land, supposed to last 20 years. It played out in two or three. The point is that people threw money at oil and gas like they had at tech. Buyers got burned everywhere. 

Lets put this into perspective for those that trade in Forex, Crypto trades similarily.

https://www.benzinga.com/money/forex-vs-crypto/

Forex and Crypto Play Together

The most important similarity between crypto and forex is that they now hold value relative to each other. You may not believe in Bitcoin or Ripple as a legitimate currency, but forex exchanges do. The Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) also believes in crypto enough to offer options contracts on them. 

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Ladyfern was the natural gas investment bust of the early 2000s. In an environment remarkably similar to today's, people rotated into oil and gas after the 2001 tech crash. Oil I believe briefly hit a low of $6 or $8/barrel. NG storage was low and their was a drilling crisis. Ladyfern with its trillion cubic ft of ng was the promised land, supposed to last 20 years. It played out in two or three. The point is that people threw money at oil and gas like they had at tech. Buyers got burned everywhere. 

Of course there is always that chance, but if you trade wisely, as a day trader, there is money to be made.  Taking your gains daily and reinvesting on another up cycle after a down cycle, candles etc...reduces risks.  Some are believing they can become rich overnight without understanding the risk and managing it, this is a problem for folks that do not understand this.  Risk vs. Uncertainty is a prime example.  HODLing Crypto's only makes sense if the amount bought was at such a low level that you can ride the waves, and you did not bet the farm.....Diversification is always a best bet.  Taking a Risk always comes with the expectation of a loss.  Never over react to the risk of loss if you can not afford to loose what you invest.  Limited liability, but we can go on and on here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

The problem with buying something that has no value is - how do you value it? How do you know when it's cheap? 

Digital art who uses blockchain to verify ownership, have a value, but again, who decide the price of art? The answer is the marked decides

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

The problem with buying something that has no value is - how do you value it? How do you know when it's cheap? 

Chart tells you when buyers are coming in

Valuations are largely bs.

Who decides what a house is? The market

Shares are valued on future earnings which are a guess

Its all bs

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) also believes in crypto enough to offer options contracts on them

And MGM believes in slot machines, at least enough to offer them at their Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lkn said:

And MGM believes in slot machines, at least enough to offer them at their Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas…

Your point is what that buying crypto is like gambling? Well hell yes it is, just like day trading and playing the stock market it is a gamble the same with FOREX.  If you want to be safe, leave your money in a CD or savings making squat, but for those that do play the game and gamble most don't bet the farm now do we.....those that do go all in, well as the saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted" Just like the penny stocks or the old great Pump and Dump cons.  Life is unpredictable, but if your going to play at least learn the game and research it, just do not go in on a word from another, in the stock game a word heard before earnings reports come out and the buying of stocks is called insider trading.

Edited by ThailandRyan

33 minutes ago, lkn said:

Do you know what an options contract is by the way....thought not....you could have made money selling short.

2 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

how do you value gold and silver? Why does gold cost 1500 USD per ounce not 15 USD? or whichever is the price right now.

Not only in Crypto but also in stocks.  I find that the persistence of market volatility is starting to weigh on many investors, understandably. Volatility is almost always unsettling, especially when it is accompanied by worrisome headlines about inflation, a war, Federal Reserve policy, and lockdowns in China.

Investor sentiment surveys I have looked at have shown that by early May, over 50% of respondents were bearish about the market’s direction over the next six months. 26.6% of respondents were neutral, and just 24.3% were bullish. This is what corrections do to investors. 

Fear has started to grip the newer investors versus the seasoned investors.  Of course having lived through the 2002 and 2008 crashes in the Stock Market and dot com bust, it was only a matter of time and why many of the folks I invest with started pulling back and playing the short game.  I now only trade on Monday mornings, in options, between 9:30 am EST, and 11am EST in the US.  I then sit back and sell on Friday if it looks like a reversal is occurring and hits my stops.  

The markets, both Crypto and Stocks seem to be about on par as far as the current pullbacks, at least in the major indexes.  Natural Gas and Oil still are up especially one I invest in ....I won't name it as that would get me accused of being like someone playing a pump and dump....

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I was in just for a laugh, it went to $4 and I could have made $150 if I had sold.

I know someone who made $1000 by buying Lina yesterday for $100 Pure gambling. 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your point is what that buying crypto is like gambling?

It was that just because CBOE wants to sell you options, does not mean they believe in the underlying asset. They just believe they can make money selling these options, just like Robinhood is happy to sell you meme-stocks (or crypto, for that matter).

• Haha 1