Tenants Rights 2018 amendment to law

I am having a problem with my landlord. There was a problem with a water leak and he did a sub-acceptable job of it. He told us that he will no longer maintain the house and that it is our responsibility (as per contract) to maintain the house the way it was as when we first rented. That was 12 years ago. I am not very happy about this and I started to do some digging. The law changed in 2018 giving tenants more rights, but I can't find the exact name of the law and seeing how it is my wife who will have to do the talking I need to find it in Thai. Does anyone have any idea about the amendment number or name, or where I can download a copy in Thai? 

This is one of the links I have found:

https://www.samuiprestigeproperties.com/new-tenancy-act-in-thailand/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-tenancy-act-in-thailand

I have also read that for help we should contact the consumer protection agency, but my wife tried and... as in all Thai government offices she couldn't get through.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pouatchee

I had a horrible landlord tried that on us too. After a year all repairs etc our responsibility even structural stuff. Had a concealed water pipe leaking from the ceiling first level. U cud see the water stain through the gyprock. Told them, sent them photos. Replied back up to you. They havent made repayments for 3 months so bank would be foreclosing soon anyway. Ended up leaving a couple of months after kept our deposit and had the hide to try and sue me for the ceiling damage. Most horrible people I have ever met here

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

@Pouatchee what does your lease actually say?? Was it even renewed?

It is automatically renewed every year... lease says the house must be left in same state as when we moved in... whatever that means... but the law (new law) takes precedence over an old lease agreement, I believe.

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I had a horrible landlord tried that on us too. After a year all repairs etc our responsibility even structural stuff. Had a concealed water pipe leaking from the ceiling first level. U cud see the water stain through the gyprock. Told them, sent them photos. Replied back up to you. They havent made repayments for 3 months so bank would be foreclosing soon anyway. Ended up leaving a couple of months after kept our deposit and had the hide to try and sue me for the ceiling damage. Most horrible people I have ever met here

This is why finding the amendments to the law are important... for everyone... If you read my link you will see that the landlord cannot make you pay for the kind of damage you mention you suffered.

Contact the source and post the link/law...

I believe there are many points in that link that are not true/implemented.

You sign a contract from date x to date y under certain conditions.

A tenant can move out with 30 days notice and many more in that after a contract has been signed - I'd be surprised.

I don't know of any agent that specifies those in their contracts - and I rent out some personal condos.

I would pursue getting this new law - even if it;s in Thai and post it.

You'll have stacks of people giving 30 days notice, expecting their deposit back in 7 days - and if not off to the court....

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Does the landlord have more than five rentals? 

If you change the terms of the lease in your favor, it is safe to assume the landlord will raise the rent. 

Does he have more than 5 rentals? He is a Monopoly wizard. Any leads as to where this law can actually be found? Or what it is called in Thai would really help. I plan on leaving the house in the very near future and I don't want this guy to try to get me to pay for this broken down house.

24 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Does he have more than 5 rentals? He is a Monopoly wizard. Any leads as to where this law can actually be found? Or what it is called in Thai would really help. I plan on leaving the house in the very near future and I don't want this guy to try to get me to pay for this broken down house.

How can he make you pay? 

And if you've torn it up, why should you not pay? 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How can he make you pay? 

And if you've torn it up, why should you not pay? 

No I did not tear it up. Termites are reeking havoc on the house. Landlord now refusing to pay for anything.

I would move too, but if I had really low rent and a landlord that never came around I would do my own maintenance, lest they get POed and raised the rent.  

The money has to come from somewhere. 

I appreciate your opinions, but back to the OP. Has anyone any idea of the actual amendment to the law and can anyone point me or anyone else in the direction? I did my homework but I just, short of going to see a lawyer, can't find the actual law.

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

I appreciate your opinions, but back to the OP. Has anyone any idea of the actual amendment to the law and can anyone point me or anyone else in the direction? I did my homework but I just, short of going to see a lawyer, can't find the actual law.

Civil and commercial code sections 537 to 571.

Good luck!