42-year-old man electrocuted to death after accidentally stepping on live power outlet

snoop1130

279366626_459497042614926_1712919676152828654_n-696x385.jpg

A 42-year-old man was electrocuted to death after accidentally stepping on a live power outlet on a wet floor and breaking it.

Today, May 13th, Pol. Capt. Kunthawat Ruamjit from the Chonburi Police Station responded to a fatal accident in the Ban Suan sub-district, Mueang District, Chonburi. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

According to Captain Kunthawat, the police found the body of Yuttana Wanthayat, 42, facing upside down on a wet floor with a fractured power outlet at his feet. The police then unplugged it, assuming the victim had stepped on it by mistake and been electrocuted to death.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/13/42-year-old-man-electrocuted-to-death-after-accidentally-stepping-on-live-power-outlet-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I must admit people here do seem to be careless about where they step....although this looks like too large an item to be overlooked, perhaps using it to reach higher? 

In my garden I often ponder how my gardener or bug sprayer will step, on the stepping stones I laid, or simply on the grass, no, more likely directly on the hose pipe...(I don't have any live wires trailed across my grass). 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A 42-year-old man was electrocuted to death after accidentally stepping on a live power outlet on a wet floor and breaking it.

Easily preventable death... absolutely shocking.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Please can you check your grammar this reads like he broke a wet floor. :unsure: No RCD fitted. end of. My RCD is so sensitive it flips off even when lightning  is close by.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Electrocuted to death? If he wasn't electrocuted, he wouldn't be dead.

Anyway, sad loss of life that happens here so frequently.

8 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Uh, electrocuted to death?

Electrocuted means death, lol

Definition of electrocute

transitive verb

1: to kill or severely injure by electric shock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thais are totally without spatial awareness; watch them on pavements as they lurch in to others; as they gather for a chat at the top of escalators; when they are driving across three busy lanes to U-turn.

Yup. They don't think about their surroundings at all. Frustrating at times. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

RIP seen so many unsafe exten, leads 90% unsafe 

Me too, and the state of some of the multi-outlet extension leads is downright deplorable and just waiting for some poor soul to depart this mortal coil by touching or using one.

My ex GF had a couple of these leads that weren't working, so gave them to me to have a look at, and I decided to take them to pieces to have a look inside, and what I found was frightening: – the size of the internal wiring was about 0.5 ml and the soldering on it/them was minimal; the live and neutrals "changed places" as they went from pin to pin (these were made in China) and the metal connectors were thin steel, coated with brass, but still showing signs of rust.

Furthermore, the way that they are used in many Thai households is just asking for trouble.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Me too, and the state of some of the multi-outlet extension leads is downright deplorable and just waiting for some poor soul to depart this mortal coil by touching or using one.

My ex GF had a couple of these leads that weren't working, so gave them to me to have a look at, and I decided to take them to pieces to have a look inside, and what I found was frightening: – the size of the internal wiring was about 0.5 ml and the soldering on it/them was minimal; the live and neutrals "changed places" as they went from pin to pin (these were made in China) and the metal connectors were thin steel, coated with brass, but still showing signs of rust.

Furthermore, the way that they are used in many Thai households is just asking for trouble.

As far as I am concerned it ain;t working, then into the bin it goes.

Buy a new lead, although have very few extension leads and no multi power boards

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

As far as I am concerned it ain;t working, then into the bin it goes.

Buy a new lead, although have very few extension leads and no multi power boards

Agree in the main, however I thought I would have a look inside of these extension leads/multi-power boards just to see what the quality was like, and it was, in a word, disgusting/terrible.

In the apartment in which I live, I only have a double socket outlet on the wall where my electrical equipment is (computer, monitor, TV, Soundbar, CD player etc) so unfortunately I have to use a multi-power board or two, however I buy the most expensive ones and ones which I give the once over before I buy.

I do have an electrical engineering qualification from way back, so I do back myself on these things, however some of the "installations" I see here absolutely terrify me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

Definition of electrocute

transitive verb

1: to kill or severely injure by electric shock

Definition of electrocute (dictionary.com)

verb (used with object), e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing.
to kill by electricity.
to execute (a criminal) by electricity, as in an electric chair.

Regardless, he's dead.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, maingmoom said:

What always worries me is electrical wires all over the floor in open air markets. they must be easily damaged on the rough dirt floors. When it rains this must make it highly dangerous.

Try walking up or down Lower Sukhumvit passing the odd Soi's at the cables crossing the whole sidewalk being used by the street vendors, my trolley wheels were catching the cables all the time and I had to keep yanking them.

I was not going to stop and keep lifting my trolley over them all the time. One thing I do not want is big biceps looking like an over muscled monkey man.

11 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Uh, electrocuted to death?

Electrocuted means death, lol

No it doesn't you can be electrocuted and not die. It happens a lot most people are thrown back from the point of electrocution because it is AC power and receive burns to the point of contact What can happen is the heart is stopped by the shock which causes death (by electrocution) which is probably what happened to this poor chap. If he is standing in water the electric shock can continue through the water and cause convulsions which kill.

23 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Electrocuted to death? If he wasn't electrocuted, he wouldn't be dead.

Came here to say the same thing.  What next?  Murdered to death?  Drowned to death?

Unfortunately, "electrocution" (death by electricity) has been perverted into any severe electric shock.  Which, of course, is ridiculous.

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

Love to see bare wires stuffed into the socket holes on extension chords, with a few bits of wood holding them in!

• Like 1