U.S. Makes $150 Million Commitment to ASEAN

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

WASHINGTON (NNT) - The United States has promised to spend US $150 million on Southeast Asian infrastructure, security, pandemic preparedness and other efforts that observers say are aimed at countering China’s influence in the region.

On Thursday (12 May), U.S. President Joe Biden started a two-day summit with the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in Washington with a dinner for the leaders at the White House ahead of talks at the State Department on Friday (13 May).

Biden smiled broadly as he took a group photo on the South Lawn of the White House before the dinner with representatives from Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines.

While Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is on the agenda, Biden’s administration hopes the efforts will show the countries that Washington remains focused on the Asia-Pacific and the long-term challenge of China, which the U.S. views as its main competitor.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Responding to Biden’s latest move, China’s foreign ministry said it welcomes any cooperation that promotes sustainable development and prosperity in the region.

Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian told reporters in Beijing on Friday that "China and ASEAN do not engage in zero-sum games and do not promote bloc confrontation."

Analysts have noted that Biden’s commitments pale in comparison to China’s deep ties and influence.

In November alone, China pledged $1.5 billion in development assistance to ASEAN countries over three years to fight the pandemic and fuel economic recovery.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The United States has promised to spend US $150 million on Southeast Asian infrastructure, security, pandemic preparedness and other efforts that observers say are aimed at countering China’s influence in the region

So Thailand will be omitted from any payments, as they're are joined at the hip with China?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

The USA will still be short changed; ASEAN has already gone to the highest bidder. Time for America to leave ASEAN to the Chinese. Move their factories to South & Central America where the shipping lanes are easier to protect.

Certainly an option needing the economic studies ... but then, somehow I am guessing American companies are already working the figures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I think US know how corrupt this region is ...anything they are giving is going to Elite's pockets!

I used to think I could criticize this as an American. The more history I studied and reflecting on the current corruption in American institutions ... well, I no longer feel in a position of moral high ground ... sad to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I used to think I could criticize this as an American. The more history I studied and reflecting on the current corruption in American institutions ... well, I no longer feel in a position of moral high ground ... sad to say.

Who says that an immoral would like to see immorality from others?  Corruption is Institutionalized in this region and if not for China, SEA would have been LATAM for USA.

Edited by RandiRona