Jump to content

Airlines See Recovery as More Routes Reopen


snoop1130
 Share

Recommended Posts

f4682f4348ff392a7713796a3b2d75a9_small.PNG

 

BANGKOK (NNT) - Several airlines have started reopening their pre-pandemic routes, reflecting ongoing recovery in the aviation industry.

 

Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, president of Bangkok Airways and the Airlines Association of Thailand (AAT), said this was made possible by the recent relaxation of COVID-19 travel restrictions. He also cited lower expenses for inbound and domestic travelers.

 

The AAT President further indicated that many airlines under the AAT started to reopen both local and international routes, with more destinations to be considered depending on demand.

 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

 

Puttipong said he was confident that more routes would be available in the remaining eight months of this year. These include new destinations that will be explored as the tourism industry continues to recover. More local and international travelers are meanwhile expected to make their way to Thailand after the government removed the Test and Go policy, along with the RT-PCR test requirement upon entering the kingdom. These moves have allowed airlines to engage in aggressive strategies with countries that do not require quarantine for visitors.

 

According to the AAT president, reopening the nation to tourists from regions such as Japan, India, Europe and the Middle East will play a crucial role in the recovery of the aviation industry.

 

He added that “Short Haul” trips should make a strong comeback this year, while “Long Haul” travel will likely make waves next year.

 

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-17
 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The level of domestic air travel can only rise at this stage, from where it has been. Hoping for more routes and more flights soon. 

Don't hold your breath! Thai Smile reduced daily services to/from Udon Thani from 3 to 2 yesterday, put me on a later flight. Forced me to cancel my booking and opt for another airline to make an International connection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Be even happier if EVA and BA started their regular flights again 

BA can stay shut for me......

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

BA can stay shut for me......

Need more airlines open - even if you do not use them - to hopefully give alternatives and drive tickets down, Currently Thai are onto a winner as they are the only direct flight to Heathrow and can charge what they like - usually about double what EVA was

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The level of domestic air travel can only rise at this stage, from where it has been. Hoping for more routes and more flights soon. 

After a year or so of nothing flying overhead, recently I've noticed some high altitude aircraft flying from the south heading in a northerly direction.

Possibly flights from Singapore or Malaysia heading west after over-flying Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Pre pandemic return flights were €450 to €500, now most are showing €1,000+. Hopefully extra routes will bring prices down again.

Agreed.  Just booked a flight to MAN UK; 300/400 UKP more expensive than 3 years ago on a less convenient route. + extras like you buy a place on the plane then they charge you extra for a seat!

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Not happy with it but they lost a lot during the pandemic. The only fair thing to do is add 2000 + baht to each ticket sold to a Chinese as a covid tax. Charge another 2000 for each Russian as an Ukraine tax. THese are the two reasons mentioned by 99% of the companies and politicians why everything goes up and becomes more expensive. Principle of the polluter has to pay.

What a great idea. Also 2000 BAHT for every meat eater, car owner, smoker - because they are the main reason for global warming. 2000 BAHT for every person who can't speak the language of the airline as because of them cabin crew must learn another language which makes their training longer and salaries higher. 2000 BAHT extra for using the toilets at the airports and on board airplanes.

I can probably come up with some more groups of people that must be charged extra...

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The level of domestic air travel can only rise at this stage, from where it has been. Hoping for more routes and more flights soon. 

The majority of domestic flights seem to be via Bangkok . I would like to see more inter provincial flights that do no entail touching Bangkok . Or another airport that is more up country as an alternative hub for domestic flights . Bangkok is good for international arrivals and then take a domestic flight but when living here it is difficult to avoid Bangkok for local flights .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, superal said:

The majority of domestic flights seem to be via Bangkok . I would like to see more inter provincial flights that do no entail touching Bangkok . Or another airport that is more up country as an alternative hub for domestic flights . Bangkok is good for international arrivals and then take a domestic flight but when living here it is difficult to avoid Bangkok for local flights .

Absolutely agree. Especially regional airports like Hua Hin, one of the least utilized airports in the world, despite it's perfect location for a regional hub. They have been talking about more flights for years now, but so far nothing but blabber. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

What a great idea. Also 2000 BAHT for every meat eater, car owner, smoker - because they are the main reason for global warming. 2000 BAHT for every person who can't speak the language of the airline as because of them cabin crew must learn another language which makes their training longer and salaries higher. 2000 BAHT extra for using the toilets at the airports and on board airplanes.

I can probably come up with some more groups of people that must be charged extra...

Global warming has been excuse a couple years ago. The airline pays already for a carbon tax and YOU can do the same when you buy a ticket. The use of toilets is paid to the airport authorities it is already calculated in the ticket price. The training of the cabin crews and pilot is mostly paid by the parents. Internal training is mostly paid by the airlines except Vietjet they charges a young pilot 2,8 million to get trained on the A 320, without a job guarantee.  Stick to the point please

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely agree. Especially regional airports like Hua Hin, one of the least utilized airports in the world, despite it's perfect location for a regional hub. They have been talking about more flights for years now, but so far nothing but blabber. 

To close to BKK and to risky with the fleet they own at the moment, except maybe flights from CNX, Konkaen, Ubon, Krabi, Phuket etc. Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan could work if they (corrupt officials and politicians) stop interfering.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

To close to BKK and to risky with the fleet they own at the moment, except maybe flights from CNX, Konkaen, Ubon, Krabi, Phuket etc. Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan could work if they (corrupt officials and politicians) stop interfering.

It is ideal as a gateway to the south, and as a way to ease congestion on the roads. Getting in and out of Bangkok is so difficult, and the highways are a nightmare during the day. There is more going on than meets the eye here. No idea what the agendas are, but they make no sense to most of us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is ideal as a gateway to the south, and as a way to ease congestion on the roads. Getting in and out of Bangkok is so difficult, and the highways are a nightmare during the day. There is more going on than meets the eye here. No idea what the agendas are, but they make no sense to most of us. 

They need smaller airplanes to give that BKK service and the costs and risks are to high. Cessna Caravan, GA 8, Kodiak Quest (8 passengers) there are a couple 19 seat airplanes as well, the new cessna courier and the Indonesian Aerospace Na 219 they could start with that short route (and others) but those who start with it would become slaves of the bigger airlines.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect exorbitant price hikes in airfares everywhere.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Global warming has been excuse a couple years ago. The airline pays already for a carbon tax and YOU can do the same when you buy a ticket. The use of toilets is paid to the airport authorities it is already calculated in the ticket price. The training of the cabin crews and pilot is mostly paid by the parents. Internal training is mostly paid by the airlines except Vietjet they charges a young pilot 2,8 million to get trained on the A 320, without a job guarantee.  Stick to the point please

I see. So my suggestions were dumb (well they were meant to be) but yours, charging Chinese and Russian citizens that probably had nothing to do with the spread of the virus or the war in Europe are very logical....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be even happier if EVA and BA started their regular flights again 

EVA are supposedly recommencing their London Heathrow - Bangkok route from 3rd July. I did have a flight booked with them for 1st June. They were prompt in providing a refund once they actually agreed to do so (didn't tell me the flight wouldn't be operating - took several phone calls for them to admit they wouldn't be flying the route during June). Managed to get a Thai Air flight for the same dates but had to accept the increase in fare. 

 

I have got a flight booked with EVA for October/November which I booked some months ago. Premium Economy circa £1,100. When I looked on their website the other day to price check the same dates had increased to £1,500. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Keeps said:

EVA are supposedly recommencing their London Heathrow - Bangkok route from 3rd July. I did have a flight booked with them for 1st June.

I was looking at return flights next year in March/april, they were coming back on search as the leg to London on Thai and the return on EVA !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, superal said:

I would like to see more inter provincial flights that do no entail touching Bangkok

I totally agree. When I lived in Thailand pre-Covid-19, my local airport was Khon Kaen and there were domestic flights with Thai Air Asia that avoided Bangkok (DMK). We had direct flights to Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Phuket and U-Tapao. May they soon return. Thai Smile, Nok Air and Lion Air were Bangkok only. I was a regular passenger on the KKC - CNX flight which was usually full.  

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I was looking at return flights next year in March/april, they were coming back on search as the leg to London on Thai and the return on EVA !

One thing I omitted to mention was I believe EVA are only operating the LHR-BKK route 3 days per week initially. I don't know whether this could have had an effect on your flight search? I would imagine the frequency will increase as things pick up but their current published schedule may have had a bearing on your search.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for airfares to go down to pre-covid times is futile. The cost of fuel is up 2x. Besides, planes of European companies must now take longer costlier routes to Asia as they can’t fly over Russia due to mutual sanctions.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some creativity is needed. Something. Anything. Just one soul thinking outside of an incredibly small box of convention. The level of conservatism and conformity here is mind boggling. 

100% correct, example the smaller airplanes I mentioned are allowed for single pilot operating in almost every country, except Thailand. (hence why the operating cost are higher) Took a lot of paperwork to even get them in the air for passengers, the problem was they missed an extra engine. Rules stipulated that in Thailand in order to allow passengers flights the aircraft needed two engines. I fly only in Australia light sport and gliders, ten minutes after arriving at my club I'm in the air (after signing the paperwork) In THailand it takes forever and I probably would not be allowed even to start training.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

100% correct, example the smaller airplanes I mentioned are allowed for single pilot operating in almost every country, except Thailand. (hence why the operating cost are higher) Took a lot of paperwork to even get them in the air for passengers, the problem was they missed an extra engine. Rules stipulated that in Thailand in order to allow passengers flights the aircraft needed two engines. I fly only in Australia light sport and gliders, ten minutes after arriving at my club I'm in the air (after signing the paperwork) In THailand it takes forever and I probably would not be allowed even to start training.

Just feels like there is a niche in the inter-provincial flight market that may not be viable for the big boys but for a small lean team it  could be an attractive business . I would think that there must be similar foreign business models operating somewhere that could show the way ?

Flying in smaller aircraft may not suit everyone as you are certainly aware that you are flying compared to large aircraft . Two pilots per flight could be enough to repel investment in small , light passenger flights , unless its easy to get a pilots licence in Thailand . 

         BTW did you see the video of a passenger taking controls of an aircraft after the pilot had collapsed   www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbMoyWukjbs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, superal said:

Just feels like there is a niche in the inter-provincial flight market that may not be viable for the big boys but for a small lean team it  could be an attractive business . I would think that there must be similar foreign business models operating somewhere that could show the way ?

Flying in smaller aircraft may not suit everyone as you are certainly aware that you are flying compared to large aircraft . Two pilots per flight could be enough to repel investment in small , light passenger flights , unless its easy to get a pilots licence in Thailand . 

         BTW did you see the video of a passenger taking controls of an aircraft after the pilot had collapsed   www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbMoyWukjbs

Pilot licenses in Thailand are expensive (like all over the world) Yes I have seen the latest, it happened before. In THailand the authorities are the main problem way this will not work here unless you have connections. Investments are to high for the risks and the return is minimum because of all the rules. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...