Two border crossings open in Ubon - but few people bothering to visit Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The article fails to mention that Thailand Pass is also required. A significant barrier to non-English speaking Laos and Cambodians.

In Cambodia  a cottage industry has sprung up doing Thailand Pass applications for Khmers, they charge them around $50 USD. Unless the trip is urgent, most people won't come until Thailand Pass requirement is dropped.

Yet it goes on to say

"Visitors to Thailand need to show two vaccinations and a negative RT-PCR test result."

I thought all testing had been scapped?

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Siam Rath went to the border crossing of Chong Mek in Sirinthorn district of Ubon Ratchathani in north eastern Thailand yesterday where provincial governor Pongrat Phiromrat and his entourage were inspecting operations.

Maybe the welcoming committee was off-putting.

• Like 1

Well, it seems that Thailand is still stumbling around. Maybe by November or high season, they

may realize that the Thailand Pass is costing them big money, and will finally drop it for all

travelers. One can only hope.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The article fails to mention that Thailand Pass is also required. A significant barrier to non-English speaking Laos and Cambodians.

In Cambodia  a cottage industry has sprung up doing Thailand Pass applications for Khmers, they charge them around $50 USD. Unless the trip is urgent, most people won't come until Thailand Pass requirement is dropped.

50 dollars? - A Laotian told me recently that '1,000 baht is a lot of money in Laos', so I guess, only a successful salesperson, or someone very keen to work in Thailand would fork out such money for the Thailand Pass. And wasn't there news recently that, down south, even (the, comparably, more affluent) Malaysians are shunning this expense and trips to Thailand?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I applied for and received my Thailand Pass yesterday all that was required was details of two Covid vaccinations plus the Insurance cover.

I am sure you did but the cost of obtaining the TP for Cambodian and Lao citizens is very expensive compared to their salaries.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

50 dollars? - A Laotian told me recently that '1,000 baht is a lot of money in Laos', so I guess, only a successful salesperson, or someone very keen to work in Thailand would fork out such money for the Thailand Pass. And wasn't there news recently that, down south, even (the, comparably, more affluent) Malaysians are shunning this expense and trips to Thailand?

It is a lot. And then there is the compulsory insurance on top of it. So, as I said, unless the trip is really urgent (or they are very rich - in which case likely speak English and have a computer in the family and computer-savvy kids to help) , most Cambodians will not come. Even for those wo can afford, it is a lot of hassle for a casual trip and they'd rather wait.

Mostly who are coming now, are middle and upper class Cambodians seeking medical care, and they mainly come by plane. There is quite a backlog of these, I know several personally - the Cambodian middle & upper class get all their health care abroad, usually in Thailand, and the 2 year border closing hit them hard.

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Why didn't Laotian billionaires queue up at these border crossings? - An investigation will be mulled soon...

They didn't want to travel with their designer, clothes, jewellery or bags, and pay import duties. :unsure:

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2022 at 5:07 AM, Andycoops said:

I am sure you did but the cost of obtaining the TP for Cambodian and Lao citizens is very expensive compared to their salaries.

My response was in relation to the testing requirement I don’t disagree about the cost of insurance for citizens of  bordering countries.

However if you exempt them everyone else will complain, hopefully it will be dropped.

However pre Covid they could cross for a day without a visa however if I want to cross into Laos, Cambodia or Burma I have to buy a visa.