Jump to content

What Is The Future Of Pattaya’s Walking Street?


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I seriously hope it's not safe from development as it's an absolute dump and an eyesore these days.  A large part of that is due to City Hall doing nothing to maintain or tidy up the public areas, road and pavements, but the rest of it also looks tatty and unattractive. Well past its sell by date in its current state for me. 

 

 

 

Yeah gentrify walking st like they did with khaosan road, how did that go? ruined it. I have a better idea leave it well alone and let market forces prevail 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might resemble  Singapore.. is he having a laugh.? .. Walking st.. is a badly maintained, Rat infested, S**t hole...

Link to post
Share on other sites

They had plenty of time to bull doze the place and make into an semi-upper scale development keeping a similar theme.  Bangla for example is nicer then WS, is more expensive and attracts plenty of people.  But it appears WS will actually be worse then previous.  Just some patch work here and there and lucky if they still attract the same people as before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kinyara said:

I think that's why Pattaya has been so successful in the past with its ability to attract such a diverse mix of nationalities, it literally caters to everone.

 

Let's be honest, it's the sex trade that "attracts such a diverse mix of nationalities."  It's certainly not Pattaya Beach, which is terrible.  

 

Imagine for a moment Pattaya's sex trade moving to Nakon Nowhere, that's where the "diverse mix of nationalities" would be going to. 

 

Take the sex trade out of Pattaya, what has Pattaya got, and for whom? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2022 at 12:13 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

That bugged me over the past couple years; more and more convenience stores, pharmacies, and fast-food restaurants on Walking Street. - I want a night out, why would I want to go where there's a 7-Eleven right next to a Boots, and just opposite, there's another 7-Eleven... Do people really venture to Walking Street these days to buy paracetamol and bottled water?

dont forget my mama cup

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

 

Let's be honest, it's the sex trade that "attracts such a diverse mix of nationalities."  It's certainly not Pattaya Beach, which is terrible.  

 

Imagine for a moment Pattaya's sex trade moving to Nakon Nowhere, that's where the "diverse mix of nationalities" would be going to. 

 

Take the sex trade out of Pattaya, what has Pattaya got, and for whom? 

If you're going to generalise I'd say two of Pattaya's biggest markets the Chinese and Russians aren't attracted to Pattaya for the sex trade, as you yourself have said many times the Chinese are observers to the action on Walking Street not participants. The Chinese get bussed around to the touristy stuff like Nong Nooch, Floating Market, Silverlake etc, boat across to Koh Larn in their thousands,  and the Russians seem to like the beach fine enough, that seems to be what they enjoy the most, It's an affordable seaside resort holiday for many.

 

No one is arguing the nightlife isn't a draw, but I was actually pointing out the variety of entertainment and areas on offer which draws more people in regardless of whether they are solely interested in one aspect. I get it that you can't appreciate or acknowledge anything outside of the sex industry, to do so would put you in danger in stepping into the positive zone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, kinyara said:

If you're going to generalise I'd say two of Pattaya's biggest markets the Chinese and Russians aren't attracted to Pattaya for the sex trade, as you yourself have said many times the Chinese are observers to the action on Walking Street not participants. The Chinese get bussed around to the touristy stuff like Nong Nooch, Floating Market, Silverlake etc, boat across to Koh Larn in their thousands,  and the Russians seem to like the beach fine enough, that seems to be what they enjoy the most, It's an affordable seaside resort holiday for many.

 

Good point, Kinyara.  The Chinese were the predominant tourist demographic pre covid, and I have often used the term, "tourist numbers up, but money down" to describe TAT targeting tourists from developing nations. 

 

We use the term, "Pattaya" which is a city, but let's narrow it down to Pattaya CBD, or Central Pattaya.  Say, Klang to Thai, and Beach Road to 3rd Road.  Let's throw in Walking Street as well.

 

Hundreds of hospitality establishments in this area, possibly thousands.  How many Chinese and Russians do you see in bars / restaurants / gogo in this Central Pattaya area? 

 

To put it bluntly, how does a bar on Soi Baukhao, for example, benefit from a Chinese tourist getting bused around to Nong Nooch etc? 

 

So, we must clarify if Pattaya City is doing well out of the Chinese, whilst bars / gogo's / soapies / happy massage / BJ bars etc etc do not see any custom from them.  

 

What "value" does a farang bar own see out of TAT targeting Chinese and Russians?

 

On 5/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, kinyara said:

No one is arguing the nightlife isn't a draw, but I was actually pointing out the variety of entertainment and areas on offer which draws more people in regardless of whether they are solely interested in one aspect. I get it that you can't appreciate or acknowledge anything outside of the sex industry, to do so would put you in danger in stepping into the positive zone.

 

Once again, the OP is about the future of Walking Street, and Walking Street is famous for the sex trade, is it not?

 

How do hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Chinese and Russians coming to Pattaya for such tourist sights and activities as Nong Nooch and Koh Larn, yet "spectate" on Walking Street, taking photos, actually help establishments on Walking Street pay their bills? 

 

Hypothetically, say 100 million Chinese came to Pattaya and followed the same pattern as they did pre covid, how does that help the gogo's on Walking Street, or the bars on Soi Baukhao, for example? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

 

Good point, Kinyara.  The Chinese were the predominant tourist demographic pre covid, and I have often used the term, "tourist numbers up, but money down" to describe TAT targeting tourists from developing nations. 

 

We use the term, "Pattaya" which is a city, but let's narrow it down to Pattaya CBD, or Central Pattaya.  Say, Klang to Thai, and Beach Road to 3rd Road.  Let's throw in Walking Street as well.

 

Hundreds of hospitality establishments in this area, possibly thousands.  How many Chinese and Russians do you see in bars / restaurants / gogo in this Central Pattaya area? 

 

To put it bluntly, how does a bar on Soi Baukhao, for example, benefit from a Chinese tourist getting bused around to Nong Nooch etc? 

 

So, we must clarify if Pattaya City is doing well out of the Chinese, whilst bars / gogo's / soapies / happy massage / BJ bars etc etc do not see any custom from them.  

 

What "value" does a farang bar own see out of TAT targeting Chinese and Russians?

 

 

Once again, the OP is about the future of Walking Street, and Walking Street is famous for the sex trade, is it not?

 

How do hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Chinese and Russians coming to Pattaya for such tourist sights and activities as Nong Nooch and Koh Larn, yet "spectate" on Walking Street, taking photos, actually help establishments on Walking Street pay their bills? 

 

Hypothetically, say 100 million Chinese came to Pattaya and followed the same pattern as they did pre covid, how does that help the gogo's on Walking Street, or the bars on Soi Baukhao, for example? 

     Had a big laugh at your 'tourist numbers up but money down' comment knocking TAT for, in your words, 'targeting tourists from developing nations'.   Not good, according to you, to bother with these tourists because they don't spend as much.  Somehow this translates to 'money down'.  And, apparently too many are doing the no-no of choosing Nong Nooch Gardens or an island trip over a go-go bar on Walking Street. 

     It's true that a Chinese tourist spends less--only 49,000 baht on average vs. a tourist from the Middle East who spends the highest average amount, 81,000 baht.  But, if you're Thailand with a large tourist industry vital to the economy, do you want 700,000 Middle East tourists spending an average of 81,000 baht in 2019 or do you want nearly 11 million Chinese spending an average of 49,000 baht each? 

    Well, the answer is Thailand wants both and, obviously, Thailand is correctly thinking that more tourists, even if the average spending varies, equals more tourist revenue, not less.   Just as obviously, if a tourist attraction is not attracting enough customers to survive, whether it's on Walking Street or anywhere else, it will close, to be replaced by something else.  That's just business.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Well, the answer is Thailand wants both and, obviously, Thailand is correctly thinking that more tourists, even if the average spending varies, equals more tourist revenue, not less.   Just as obviously, if a tourist attraction is not attracting enough customers to survive, whether it's on Walking Street or anywhere else, it will close, to be replaced by something else.  That's just business.

One group ultimately deters the others.... 

A hotel that accepts large say Chinese bookings, becomes an all Chinese place very quickly, and loses other tourists. Then they insist on better and lower prices. Before they know it, they are in a hole. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

 

Good point, Kinyara.  The Chinese were the predominant tourist demographic pre covid, and I have often used the term, "tourist numbers up, but money down" to describe TAT targeting tourists from developing nations. 

 

We use the term, "Pattaya" which is a city, but let's narrow it down to Pattaya CBD, or Central Pattaya.  Say, Klang to Thai, and Beach Road to 3rd Road.  Let's throw in Walking Street as well.

 

Hundreds of hospitality establishments in this area, possibly thousands.  How many Chinese and Russians do you see in bars / restaurants / gogo in this Central Pattaya area? 

 

To put it bluntly, how does a bar on Soi Baukhao, for example, benefit from a Chinese tourist getting bused around to Nong Nooch etc? 

 

So, we must clarify if Pattaya City is doing well out of the Chinese, whilst bars / gogo's / soapies / happy massage / BJ bars etc etc do not see any custom from them.  

 

What "value" does a farang bar own see out of TAT targeting Chinese and Russians?

 

 

Once again, the OP is about the future of Walking Street, and Walking Street is famous for the sex trade, is it not?

 

How do hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Chinese and Russians coming to Pattaya for such tourist sights and activities as Nong Nooch and Koh Larn, yet "spectate" on Walking Street, taking photos, actually help establishments on Walking Street pay their bills? 

 

Hypothetically, say 100 million Chinese came to Pattaya and followed the same pattern as they did pre covid, how does that help the gogo's on Walking Street, or the bars on Soi Baukhao, for example? 

You mentioned that if you took the sex industry out of Pattaya, which would imply Walking Street ceasing to existin its current format , " what has it got and for whom " ?  I've just mentioned 2 of the most significant groups that come and would continue to come if it wasn't here. Walking Street would just have to repurpose to offer something more attractive to those groups. Of course the entertainment industry will still exist side by side twith he other sightseeing attractions, which again was my point, the strength of Pattaya's tourism industry is it's increasing diversification. If you are employed in a hotel it matters little to you what the guests spend their holiday money on, if you are employed in Nong Nooch etc you are glad your customers are spending their money their than on Walking Street or a bar in Soi Buakhow.  No idea how many people are employed in the nightlife venues on Walking Street, but it's hardly the be all and end all compared to the bigger picture. I'm sure it will still do okay as normality returns.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

One group ultimately deters the others.... 

A hotel that accepts large say Chinese bookings, becomes an all Chinese place very quickly, and loses other tourists. Then they insist on better and lower prices. Before they know it, they are in a hole. 

     I don't agree but, in any case, how an individual hotel operates and prices its rooms has no bearing on tourist numbers and tourist revenue for the Thai economy.  More tourists means more tourist revenue for Thailand, not less, per Leaver.  Just for argument, though, if you have more tourists coming to, say, Pattaya be they from China, the Middle East, or wherever on Earth, that means more demand for hotel rooms, which should help keep hotels from going into your 'hole'. 

    If a hotel does go into a hole due to poor management and closes, that just means one less hotel, making supply tighter for more demand--also helping to maintain prices.   And, finally, we've heard time and again from pundits here that Chinese tourists to Thailand only stay at Chinese-owned hotels, providing no tourist revenue to Thailand, so none of us should care if that hotel you mentioned ends up in a hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

You mentioned that if you took the sex industry out of Pattaya, which would imply Walking Street ceasing to existin its current format , " what has it got and for whom " ?  I've just mentioned 2 of the most significant groups that come and would continue to come if it wasn't here. Walking Street would just have to repurpose to offer something more attractive to those groups.

 

How do you repurpose Klang to Thai, and Beach Road to 3rd Road?  The Central Pattaya CBD. 

 

That's thousands of buildings, big and small, being repurposed. 

 

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

Of course the entertainment industry will still exist side by side twith he other sightseeing attractions, which again was my point, the strength of Pattaya's tourism industry is it's increasing diversification.

 

Sure, except for all the derelict vacant commercial premises.

 

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

If you are employed in a hotel it matters little to you what the guests spend their holiday money on,

 

I agree, but how does this help the thousands of bars in Central Pattaya? 

 

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

No idea how many people are employed in the nightlife venues on Walking Street, but it's hardly the be all and end all compared to the bigger picture. I'm sure it will still do okay as normality returns.

 

Was Pattaya doing "Ok" pre covid? 

 

I started a thread about closing businesses way before covid. 

 

We seems to forget things were great here back in 2019. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...