"ATM scam" - myth or reality ?

with phone apps cardless withdrawal, you can even get cash from thai bank accounts at the ATM without out of area fee or the annual debit card renewal fee, only catch is  you're locked in to your banks' own ATM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

BTW , what are the other charges banks charge when using an ATM ?

I was paying about 2-3 % when I withdrew money from the UK account in a Thai bank in "foreign transaction fees " , I suppose that those fees also apply when using a Thai ATM ?

I only use US debit cards that have no foreign transaction fees and have not bothered to dive into the detailed terms and conditions of cards that charge that fee.  I can't help with your question.

• Confused 1

Next the cry babies will say Wise transfers are a scam because they're charging a fee to allow them access their own money.....555.

23 hours ago, wn78 said:

How does that work exactly, if you don't have  a Thai bank account?

this was my reply at the very beginning of this mess...i was like the first response and oooh the strange backlash i got.....it was a solution ive tested and been successful at, even though i was able to open an account at same bank when i started a job here...

The atm in my exp only allowed 30k and i recall a 150 fee and also the fees attached to convert usd to thai baht from MY debit card carrier and foreign transaction fees....

So as i posted..i went into the bank,dressed nicely as its thai culture, as expected, the bank teller told me to use the atm at the door, i said I needed more than the 30k for a motorbike for my thai gf(welcome to thailand and obsession with $$$) and being that I was dressed "thai style, and "taking care" of my fake thai GF, she agreed to swipe it at the counter and avoid all said fees...done and done....and yet you can see some posters here are offended.

I digress to use my "fake gf" excuse as we all know the thais are the most honest folks ever

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

she agreed to swipe it at the counter and avoid all said fees...done and done....and yet you can see some posters here are offended.

Thank you very much, that's what I wanted to know.  So they just swipe your ATM at the counter, I never knew that was possible.  You have to enter your PIN at a keypad, right?  Seems like this is not a standard procedure that they offer, since you had to wiggle your way in with a nice dress and cover story.... Do you remember the name of the bank?

Edited by wn78
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years in the 2010's.

I was thinking about another trip there (don't really know for how long) but I'm not so sure anymore. Exchange rates suck, ATM fees make me cringe, nightlife is on life support and there is no clear way forward (TAT's plans for the future seem half-baked honestly). Didn't look at the price of visas, visa runs, ED visas and so on but higher prices wouldn't surprise me...

But I gotta say the AseanNow community is pretty cool ????

Best bet if you are changing money is Super Rich, there is a terminal at the airport and if using a card use the ATM of the bank from which the card was obtained. i.e. Bangkok Bank card use a Bangkok Bank ATM

On 5/30/2022 at 5:23 PM, JimmyJ said:

For starters, 4 obvious ones:

1) Charging for an ATM and/or Debit Card;

2) Charging transaction fees if one is not in the province of the Home bank;

3) Charging a fee to receive SMS notification of a transaction;

4) As pointed out in the thread, overcharging for ATM withdrawals.

This might be a stupid question but for numbers 1) & 4) what charges are there for ATM card and ATM withdrawals? I dont think i get charged when withdrawing locally.

The only one which i found annoying in the past was number 2.... but i transfer money inter province basically never so luckily it does not annoy me to much.

Number 3) Get email notification.

13 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive never heard of someone paying a 200b atm charge in Thailand when using a Thai bank issued card.

Er - I think you will find if you put a Bangkok Bank debit card into a Kasikorn ATM, or vice versa, there will be a fee attached to any withdrawal.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Er - I think you will find if you put a Bangkok Bank debit card into a Kasikorn ATM, or vice versa, there will be a fee attached to any withdrawal.

most certainly but I did not know that fee is 200b.

I thought the 200b fee was when using a foreign card in a local ATM.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am pretty sure there is not anymore for a good few years.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I am pretty sure there is not anymore for a good few years.

Have you tested to find out? I haven't because I would only use an ATM for emergencies anyway.

I know one can use any bank card in any ATM in Australia without fees, but Thai banks IMO would be very reluctant to let go of any revenue.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Have you tested to find out? I haven't because I would only use an ATM for emergencies anyway.

I know one can use any bank card in any ATM in Australia without fees, but Thai banks IMO would be very reluctant to let go of any revenue.

Well i use ATM's weekly for the past 15 years, granted i always use my bank ATM when available, but when needs must i use any of them. I recollect in the past there was a fee for using a different bank ATM, but cannot remember seeing the notice for as long as i can remember.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Well i use ATM's weekly for the past 15 years, granted i always use my bank ATM when available, but when needs must i use any of them. I recollect in the past there was a fee for using a different bank ATM, but cannot remember seeing the notice for as long as i can remember.

I'm not inclined to test it myself for the sake of confirming whether the banks still charge fees if using a different ATM.

I don't particularly like cards anyway, handy for online shopping, but difficult to keep secure. IMO no better security than having to front up to a bank teller with a savings passbook and a passport, I defy any thief to breach that.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not inclined to test it myself for the sake of confirming whether the banks still charge fees if using a different ATM.

I don't particularly like cards anyway, handy for online shopping, but difficult to keep secure. IMO no better security than having to front up to a bank teller with a savings passbook and a passport, I defy any thief to breach that.

Secure/not secure- they are easy to use and for most of the modern World a part of day to day life. I dont go around day to day worrying about my ATM card or it being breached by a thief. It does happen and can happen and it would be an annoyance, but on the scale of things to concern me or to think about daily it does not really nudge the needle, and i presume most people are the same.

I think for most the thought of actually going into the bank, taking a ticket, waiting for the teller, maybe producing passport or other ID to just take out some money is far more bothersome.

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I only use US debit cards that have no foreign transaction fees and have not bothered to dive into the detailed terms and conditions of cards that charge that fee.  I can't help with your question.

Then the question needs to be asked.....

Why are you posting a reply  ????

2 hours ago, Wagga said:

Then the question needs to be asked.....

Why are you posting a reply  ????

Because @Mac Mickmanus posed his question in a post that quoted me.  It seemed like his question was intended for me.

Are you the new hall monitor?  ????

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2022 at 10:50 AM, Baron Samedi said:

I just don't see why I should pay them to have the privilege to access my money so I can spend it in their country.

They're helping you spend it on a cause they think is a worthy one, thus they've programmed their ATMs to view YOU as the ATM.  Kind of an existential paradox if you think about it (too) much.  ????  

Edited by ChrisP24

9 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I think for most the thought of actually going into the bank, taking a ticket, waiting for the teller, maybe producing passport or other ID to just take out some money is far more bothersome.

It would be much more bothersome for me  if the ATM kept my ATM card and didn't return it or my card got skimmed and thieves took all the money out . 

Thus I prefer going to a bank counter once or twice a month with my passport and ATM card to avoid getting skimmed or losing my ATM card .

*And just for AEAENNOW readers, It also gives me an opportunity to interact with a Thai woman............ppphhhrrrooooaaaaawwwww*

On 5/30/2022 at 2:25 AM, redsongthaew said:

While the cash sits in the ATMs the bank cannot earn any interest from the money.

Of course, it can, it's the bank's funds that they invest on the financial markets whether the cash is in a safe on the bank's premises, in an ATM or just a number on a computer screen at the Bank of Thailand, the banks make profits from all it!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:37 AM, RandiRona said:

To sh,ow some Thai apologists some perspective Minimum wage of Thailand is 300Baht per day,  charging 220 baht is around 75% of daily minimum wage. So would that be justified to charge usd $105 for an ATM withdrawl in Los Angeles considering usd $15 per hour ($120 daily wage)? Would you call it scam them?

"To show some Thai apologists some perspective..."

Ridiculous analogy.  To show some Thai-bashers some perspective, private retail banks' charges are not related to minimum wages!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:20 AM, gamb00ler said:

I agree with those who feel that 220฿ is much too high for the "privilege" of accessing your funds.

If you're asking a local bank to access your funds for you from another bank, outside the country, why would you not expect to pay for it?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, dingdongrb said:

The real scam is when your Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) charges you a fee when you deposit funds into your account outside the providence you opened your account in.

Yes, charges you money to deposit money!

10 THB for every 10k THB deposited but yet charged 60 THB when you deposit 50k THB.....Go figure that one out.

That's not a scam, either.   B10...Jesus...

• Confused 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:23 PM, dingdongrb said:

I can make a deposit at any of my bank's nationwide branches in the USA and not be charged a penny. Why can't the Thai banks do the same? Do you have any sensible examples of why they can't? (I'll wait)

Do you have any sensible reasons why your Thai bank should do the same as your US bank?

• Confused 1