Thailand demographics and immigration

Baron Samedi

A question just popped up in my head.

I've read somewhere on the internet that Thailand had a rather serious demographic problem (like many countries in the world really).

Why is immigration so tough on visas then ?

A logical move would be to ease immigration requirements - especially for people coming from neighboring countries - in order to support the economy... What are your thoughts on that ?

Thailand is becoming an older society. It is not alone other countries include Japan, China and Germany. As time goes on your going to have an older population and fewer people who are able to have children to maintain the current population. Some countries allow for migration to maintain growth. There are some countries with very strong policies against immigration, but if their population is aging then the countries working class will start to shrink as well as their internal markets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A number of Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, China, etc.) have the same demo-graphic problem, but simply do not want (mass) immigration. Similar to, say, Australia up to the 1970s, they do not want ethnically diverse and multicultural societies. The British, Australian, New Zealand, German, etc., governments have a good number of ethnic Indian, Chinese, Turkish, etc., government ministers. - Thailand's ruling class, as well as its population want to avoid such a scenario, so the aim is to limit the length of visas, in order not to create a 'permanent' foreign population.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Comparing apples with....,Thais should not get a visa at all for western countries unless it is a marriage visa,most Thais like to overstay or disappear.,working without permission to do so.Then what is your point of comparing visa rules of first world countries and third world countries?

Just amazing the response to some of the post on here---Thai's are now the over-stayers of the world. I wonder how many millions have walked into America--- Their crossing the English Chanel in rubber dinghies by the 1,000s. Living in Oz through the 70s/80s/90s there was never less then 80,000 over-stayers-- so many of them were English that I hardly heard any complaints when they used to have their Amnesty's every few years.

Hard for Thais to get a Visa because--- "Thais like to overstay or disappear.,working without permission to do so."......................:w00t:

Fact-- The UK like most western countries , biggest problem is with people who dont need a Visa to come there--or Visa on arrival, --

Migration Watch UK, a think tank that lobbies for a reduction in UK immigration numbers, reports  that the number of UK visa over-stayers has doubled over the past five years.--- "Additionally, the report states that a further 250,000 people per year, from at least 55 countries whose citizens do not require a UK visa for entry, (or Visa on arrival,)  also be in Britain unlawfully, raising the total to 340,000

10 hours ago, bogozy said:

Thailand are for the thai people. The thai nation are posessing the land of Thailand. The thai nation no want to regain controll, or ownership of thailand soil, by strangers. That is a very respectable policy.

Switzerland had a very liberal "Immigration-Policy" for decades. With the result that almost 25% of the population has a "Migrant-Background" by now.

If Thailand does not want such a scenario, can't blame them. More power to them. Long live strict immigration rules.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Living in Oz through the 70s/80s/90s there was never less then 80,000 over-stayers-- so many of them were English that I hardly heard any complaints when they used to have their Amnesty's every few years.

Just look at the large number of Malaysian overstayers in Oz. Similar to other 'Western' tourists, it is very easy for them to get a visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just look at the large number of Malaysian overstayers in Oz. Similar to other 'Western' tourists, it is very easy for them to get a visa.

yer I am sure the demographics have changed a lot since I lived there 25 years ago.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Switzerland had a very liberal "Immigration-Policy" for decades. With the result that almost 25% of the population has a "Migrant-Background" by now.

If Thailand does not want such a scenario, can't blame them. More power to them. Long live strict immigration rules.

The difference is that the migrants in Switzerland usually are relatively quick integrated and are allowed to work after a while - as far as I know. In Thailand, the elder expats who are not integrated in a working process which would increase the GDP. And if they are working than it is for a international company and the net product doesn't remain in Thailand.
I am not an economist, perhaps I am wrong.

11 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Everyone I know who qualifies seems to breeze.. why do you think you have problems? 

I said they are "unhelpful and impolite". I don't have problems.

(You are trying to blame the victim, always stupid)

Nobody I knows seems to breeze. And I don't know people who don't qualify. 

Through the years,  please tell me how you breezed through TM28, TM30, online 90 days, CoR, CoE, Thailandpass... just to name a few of the enjoyments Thailand has given us during the last 8 years or so.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:43 PM, Lorry said:

Through the years,  please tell me how you breezed through TM28, TM30, online 90 days, CoR, CoE, Thailandpass... just to name a few of the enjoyments Thailand has given us during the last 8 years or so.

By getting a residency, also easy if you qualify 

• Thanks 1

Don't think immigration is tough on anyone.  Plenty of folks from neighboring countries enter to visit and especially work.  Some locals may think too many.

Shy of 40 million tourist pre-c19, that shy of 60% of the Thai population.  Stretches the infrastructure to its limits, and a bit beyond in many places.  Don't think more are needed.

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but I'd say there are significant challenges ahead. In addition to a shrinking workforce, Thailand has a huge wealth gap and a notably poor education system. All these flashy new highways are crammed with deliverymen making starvation wages.

https://thailand.un.org/en/96303-thailand-economic-focus-demographic-change-thailand-how-planners-can-prepare-future

"Thailand’s rapid aging is particularly striking—and worrisome—for its income level. The median age in the population has increased rapidly to about 40. While lower than the current median age in Korea and Singapore, the latter two economies reached a similar median age at much, much higher levels of per capita income. Thailand is running out of workers at a time when the country has not yet acquired the skills, capital, and technology to really increase their productivity."

• Thanks 1