Gov hospital BILL question

MJCM

My wife has urged me to get a checkup at the local Hospital as I haven't had one in a while.

Normally we would drive over to Korat and the Private Hospital, but we agree that it is a major hassle as it's a +/-300km roundtrip

Now as I have full insurance with an Expat Insurance back in my home country the company has asked me to pay the bills (under 20.000 THB) myself and then they will reimburse me (they are quick in paying).

My question is as I have never been to a government hospital for treatment is the bill specified so it satisfies my Insurance? Or ...?

And other question is the Bill in 2 languages (Thai / English) or in Thai only?

• Thanks 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Depends on the hospital.  I think enough will be in English, as most medical terms are from English language, that they should accept it.

Thx it is a local hospital, quite a big place but most of the major cases (operations etc etc ) get sent to the Main Hospital.

And I already asked at the Main Hospital today if I can go there, but they said "Only after a referral by the local Hospital"

• Like 1

I had a hernia op in a government hospital, my wife sorted the bill and requested it in English for the insurers. I paid up front as well and the insurance co. reimbursed everything.

you may need a medical certificate from the doctor as well

Edited by nikmar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You or the insurers can use Google lens app to translate the bill images if in Thai

Yeah, that one is really reliable. I always get amazed by such great advices.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

I had a hernia op in a government hospital, my wife sorted the bill and requested it in English for the insurers. I paid up front as well and the insurance co. reimbursed everything.

Good point about that Medical Certificate.

I doubt that many foreigners visit that Hospital and most of the experience I have heard are about the Main Hospital, but as said they won't accept me because they are busy enough I think. (SIL goes there for her Breast Cancer treatment/Medicine/Checkup, leaves home 6am and is back home around 3pm)

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yiou were misinformed.

This is true only for Thaias, under the universal health scheme.

You are full private pay and can go directly there.

Government hospital bills are in Thai and may well not provide enough detail to satisfy a foreign insurer. You cant ry asking for it in English but don't count on that being possible.

The type of check up available at less than tertiary level government hospitals is pretty  bare bones and likely not to include everything you need.

Thx Sheryl

I got my 3rd Covid vaccine today at the main hospital and as we were there we went to the "Registration" desk to register, so we showed them my Yellow House Book and they said, first go to your Local Hospital!. They would have known (as a foreigner) I will have to pay myself. But that said, I didn't mention it.

But it's oke to go to the local hospital and register there as it's only 5kms away and the Main Hospital is around 30+km so good in case of an emergency!

I will do the check-up at the local hospital and see what it's all about, and will also contact my insurer about bills in Thai only. But I know that when I went to the Private Hospital the bills were dealt with the "local" department of April Assistance, so maybe the will send it to them, but as said will ask to be sure.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I can't imagine  the bill  and medical report not being in English! If not a professional certified,  notarised,   translation would be required - not some Google ćrapp - Are you sure your insurance  company  does not offer 'advanced  authorisation'

Don't forget it's a small local hospital.! With the Private Hospital (Bangkok Hospital chain) I don't have to pay anything, they pick up the bill through their "agent".

I don't even think this local hospital has a desk for insurance! Main hospital will have but our local one, I sincerely doubt it!

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Don't forget it's a small local hospital.! With the Private Hospital (Bangkok Hospital chain) I don't have to pay anything, they pick up the bill through their "agent".

I don't even think this local hospital has a desk for insurance! Main hospital will have but our local one, I sincerely doubt it!

OK you know best good luck

• Like 1

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

OK you know best good luck

Thx.

I don't know .... but the many times I have been in that hospital already visiting people or going together to appointments for my wife, I would have noticed something about insurance. Of course I could be wrong (as we never asked) and will report back of course if I am, but the request from the insurer remains to pay bills less then 20k THB yourself and then send the bills to them via their online portal!

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx Sheryl

I got my 3rd Covid vaccine today at the main hospital and as we were there we went to the "Registration" desk to register, so we showed them my Yellow House Book and they said, first go to your Local Hospital!. They would have known (as a foreigner) I will have to pay myself. But that said, I didn't mention it.

But it's oke to go to the local hospital and register there as it's only 5kms away and the Main Hospital is around 30+km so good in case of an emergency!

I will do the check-up at the local hospital and see what it's all about, and will also contact my insurer about bills in Thai only. But I know that when I went to the Private Hospital the bills were dealt with the "local" department of April Assistance, so maybe the will send it to them, but as said will ask to be sure.

Covid vaccines are free for everyone at government hospitals, which explains why they wanted you to go to your local hospital.  Not the case with other types of medical care.

9 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Covid vaccines are free for everyone at government hospitals, which explains why they wanted you to go to your local hospital.  Not the case with other types of medical care

All 3 the covid vaccine I got at the Main Hospital. (free)

The registration procedure at the Main Hospital was for a check-up (NOT related to Covid Vaccine) and they told there and then to go to local hospital

Edited by MJCM

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah works great, you have any good advice ever?

No, it does not work great. I know that, because I have been working in content and translation business for 10 years in Thailand.

No, maybe not many good, but neither do I give any bad trying to say they are good. ???? 

• Confused 1

I sent an email to my insurer, with 2 questions

1- Can I submit a Bill from the Local Hospital that is only in Thai

2- If not, what do I have to do to be able to submit it

Will report back when they reply (usually around 1-2 days)

Ps: I had a talk with my wife about going to the Main Hospital or going to the local Hospital (for the Check-up) and she said, better at the local hospital, easier to get to (as only a couple of km's from our home) and not so many people there.

Edited by MJCM

I have had rejections of a Bangkok based government hospital bills in the past - had to have them provide detailed translations (extra cost and probably only available as senior nurse was SIL) - but a more recent event in another Bangkok based government hospital was accepted as written.  Believe a key is having doctor provide a medical certificate (just as in a private hospital) as Thai bills do not provide any diagnosis and insurance needs that.  Be sure to include copies of all test results.  The more paperwork the better; as false claims is a major issue.

• Thanks 1

Thx @lopburi3

IF I have to go through all the hassle (translations etc etc etc) I will not declare it and pay it myself.

If I would be going to the Private Hospital the bill would in the 1000's maybe even reaching the 10k mark, but for a local Gov Hospital it will be (I guess) a fraction of the costs!

But again, will report back after I have been.

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx @lopburi3

IF I have to go through all the hassle (translations etc etc etc) I will not declare it and pay it myself.

If I would be going to the Private Hospital the bill would in the 1000's maybe even reaching the 10k mark, but for a local Gov Hospital it will be (I guess) a fraction of the costs!

But again, will report back after I have been.

Agree - my bills were hospitalizations/operations including CT scans which were almost private hospital cost so worthwhile.  At any rate would submit and hope for the best.  If you have a dedicated doctor at the private hospital might be worthwhile using them as tests don't mean a lot without doctor review (even Google is not that great if multi issues).  Check if there is a government doctor providing private pay service if want to use local facilities.  Often they moonlight at own clinics or have a pay path. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Check if there is a government doctor providing private pay service if want to use local facilities.  Often they moonlight at own clinics or have a pay path. 

There is, a doc from the local hospital has a clinic, I get my Medical Certificate for Driving License there. But he only does checks and for anything else (blood tests etc) he refers you to go the Hospital.

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

There is, a doc from the local hospital has a clinic, I get my Medical Certificate for Driving License there. But he only does checks and for anything else (blood tests etc) he refers you to go the Hospital.

Yes but suspect he can order the tests and review with you - easier than trying to do directly with hospital and that way he can maintain your records for long term care.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes but suspect he can order the tests and review with you - easier than trying to do directly with hospital and that way he can maintain your records for long term care.

Exactly - why make the whole thing complicated.

OP go to one of these doctors at their clinic and he/she will take blood and urine, etc and send it off. You can get checks by him/her for other things and then final bill should not be more that 3000 baht (usually 2500) all done and dusted.

Any issues, you will be referred to main hospital. If no issues, then pay the money and that's you for another year. No need to involve your insurance company for such a small amount.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nikmar said:

How much did it cost? What method did they use to repair the hernia?

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

How much did it cost? What method did they use to repair the hernia?

30 000 bt - just a bit over.  thats everything inc. 2 nights on a ward.

it was a triple repair, inguinal and umbelical. i believe they used mesh to repair the tear in my stomach wall.

it was a government hospital and i have zero complaints. the doctor was a diamond - very good english, very informative and very reassuring.

• Thanks 2