Consuming Pork Sashimi Can Lead to Lethal Illness

webfact

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Do they really need to tell people not to eat raw pork..

regards Worgeordie

A lot more danger than raw pork, which I have never encountered in Isaan, would be raw fish. This is eaten very often.

As a foreigner you might not even be aware that it is in your food, as this is true also for fermented fish sauce, if it was not fermented long enough, and this can be literally in any dish in Isaan. See that yours are properly cooked and avoid any form of pungent 'salads', however tasty they might be (and they are!).

This fish can contain liver flukes, which then can lead to liver and bile duct cancer. As far as I heard, in Isaan this kind of liver cancer is the biggest reason for people to die in the old age clade. I personally knew several people who died of it just within the small village of my wife.

But then I also know people who dare to drive around on a motorbike or even a bicycle in Thai traffic. You choose your risks.

Edited by jts-khorat
awkward english
  • Like 1

Looking at the semi-transparent slime that tries to pass as pork in my local market I wouldn't touch it even after any method of cooking.

As for the bacon... how do you like it... boiled, because you sure as hell can't fry it with the water content.

15 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

Try telling people to not eat Laab Moo Diip.

Pretty sure that they are talking about laab. Never seen pork sashimi in a Fuji restaurant lol

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A pox upon you eaters of raw pork.....disgusting.  give me steak tar tar instead.

Pretty common if freshly killed in rural Issarn. I was offered some once, but with my natural caution I declined.... the awful squeals just before killed my appetite somewhat too!

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

the awful squeals just before killed my appetite somewhat too!

Of course, this is part and parcel of the consumption of meat.

Cows at least do not squeal, on the other hand I doubt that wacking it over the head with a shovel, as I had to do once while participating in a slaughter in Isaan, was a really effective way of dazing it; the Thais gave me this part of the job quite happily, because all the bad karma of the killing would go over to me. For that I also got part of the best cut, bur frankly, I have found Isaan cows to be so tough-meated that they are nearly inedible.

And while ducks are stupid enough to actually come to you to be butchered, chicken -- clever as they are -- know exactly what is coming if you start walking towards them outside their usual feeding time (if my FiL would get too inpatient, he would simply shoot one of them with his birding gun; bullets are still way faster than running!). As they are bled, they get their throats slit while alive (and it is not the easiest cut to do, having to go through cartilage -- whenever I do it now while in Thailand, I insinst on getting at least a really sharp knife).

Therefore, eating meat is always compounded with the fear and pain that every single of those animals had; there is really no 100% humane way of doing it, especially not in the real countryside.

At least I try to visualize this to myself before consuming, so that I minimize waste and never buy more than I really need. I actualy would find it helpful, if people here in Germany would, from time to time, be allowed to experience this directly; it would help cutting down a lot on excess and careless consumerism. The next logical step would be, of course, to not eat meat at all, but to tell the truth, I -- still -- do nearly daily, regardless.

• Like 1