Thai police gear up for increase in international crime post pandemic - favorable conditions attract international criminals

webfact

Wonderful excuses for governments; especially, authoritarian governments worldwide to continue to consolidate power since the pandemic, without thought or regard that it might be an ineffective state which contributes to certain countries being more inclined to international crime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Comments by a senior police inspector suggested that the geographical location of the country and its favorable conditions made it an ideal base for crime in other countries, crime within the country and as a hideout for international fugitives.

Comments by a senior police inspector suggested that the geographical location of the country, corrupt immigration officials, ineffective police force and its favorable conditions made it an ideal base for crime in other countries, crime within the country and as a hideout for international fugitives.

There, fixed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Pol Gen Wisanu Prasatthongosot

National Police Inspector

Sir,

First I apologize for my lack of ability to write in the Thai language. At age 75, I have struggled with the language even as my Thai Wife and Stepdaughter have struggled with English. Still, allow me to suggest some way to free up Policing duties in order to address any rise in "foreigner" criminal activity.

My recommendation would be to work with Royal Thai  Immigration, clearing the need to deal with those of us long term stay foreigners who have established a long term residency in Thailand which is trouble free. A new category of "Permanent Residency", aimed at the long term foreign retirees, meeting "Extension of Stay" requirements and having Thai families should be recognized as "Permanent Residents". This is a category of foreigners, in the data base with which you would little, if any concern.

Then you woke up!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Then you woke up!

Ha! Cannot disagree. You understand as an American I have only hope as current reality does not give me any concrete evidence of progress.

• Like 1

Funny he didn't mention one of the main reasons whey foreign gangsters take up residence in Thailand, i.e. because the BiB are so corrupt that they look the other way while the gangsters commit fraud and murder, as long as they get their fair cut. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Pol Gen Wisanu Prasatthongosot

National Police Inspector

Sir,

First I apologize for my lack of ability to write in the Thai language. At age 75, I have struggled with the language even as my Thai Wife and Stepdaughter have struggled with English. Still, allow me to suggest some way to free up Policing duties in order to address any rise in "foreigner" criminal activity.

My recommendation would be to work with Royal Thai  Immigration, clearing the need to deal with those of us long term stay foreigners who have established a long term residency in Thailand which is trouble free. A new category of "Permanent Residency", aimed at the long term foreign retirees, meeting "Extension of Stay" requirements and having Thai families should be recognized as "Permanent Residents". This is a category of foreigners, in the data base with which you would little, if any concern.

They will never do this for retirees because the 1979 Immigration Act (and its predecessors) makes having a profession in Thailand a key requirement for PR. It harks back to the original 1927 Immigration Act which was largely designed to manage the entry and internal flow of Chinese coolies into the country and make them carry ID documents in Thai that could be read by Thai police.  They were required to register with police if they went to another police for more than 24 hours.  A lot of the crime in those days was to do with Chinese triads that were difficult for the BiB to infiltrate as they couldn't speak the language. 

Changing the law to facilitate what you suggest would be a massive undertaking for no political party has any appetite. What they do like is the idea of giving longer and easier visas to foreigners they regard as super wealthy but the requirements are too onerous for many to be interested.  The Thai establishment doesn't care about other long term foreign residents.  The fact that they have decided to start Thai families adds nothing to the equation as far as they are concerned.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

They will never do this for retirees because the 1979 Immigration Act (and its predecessors) makes having a profession in Thailand a key requirement for PR. It harks back to the original 1927 Immigration Act which was largely designed to manage the entry and internal flow of Chinese coolies into the country and make them carry ID documents in Thai that could be read by Thai police.  They were required to register with police if they went to another police for more than 24 hours.  A lot of the crime in those days was to do with Chinese triads that were difficult for the BiB to infiltrate as they couldn't speak the language. 

Changing the law to facilitate what you suggest would be a massive undertaking for no political party has any appetite. What they do like is the idea of giving longer and easier visas to foreigners they regard as super wealthy but the requirements are too onerous for many to be interested.  The Thai establishment doesn't care about other long term foreign residents.  The fact that they have decided to start Thai families adds nothing to the equation as far as they are concerned.

Agreed. Signed, Don Quixote. Sad, that Thailand does not recognize the draw for the stable retirees, unable to afford retirement in their own western countries as the working middle class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:
6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It has always been like that ,Pattaya is like a magnet for those

on the run. plenty of work for the police to do ......????

regards Worgeordie

Plenty of Brown Envelopes for them

Well if the international criminals can give a 'brown envelope' to the Immigration folks without an agent why can't we?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It has always been like that ,Pattaya is like a magnet for those

on the run. plenty of work for the police to do ......????

regards Worgeordie

I've met 4 Brit bank robbers and 2 middle level cocaine dealers while out here.

All really nice guys, and as long as they don't commit any crimes here, or cause any trouble, why would you (or the Thai authorities) care?

Thailand must launder 1/2 the dirty money in the world with all their empty shopping malls and opticians.

• Haha 1

With the latest upgrades you now have the tools at your disposal to nip the crims in the bud.

All that is needed now is to get your crew off their butts & do some work other than the bare minimum or where there is a buck to be made

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

WRONG.....  A totally apathetic, corrupt and ineffective police force is what makes Thailand the ideal place for criminals to either hide and / or operate. 

Plus a ready supply of various sized brown envelopes.

Have these envelopes been checked for the presence of bamboo fiber, I wonder?????

9 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

"Shane Kenneth Looker" got away with an "8 years' sentence" after killing and cutting up a Thai bar hostess...
So, yes, Thailand seems a haven for murderers and criminals.

And what about time off for good behaviour?

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

Might be a good idea to do away with those mask thingies so the BIB can identify the thousands of criminals about to arrive.

Well it's either that or get prepared for the many protesters that will arrive in Bangkok.

Err when the war in Ukraine ends, there may be a lot of war criminals rushing to Thailand to

escape their fate, and you know who I am talking about. Get ready to see many Generals and

other military officers. Maybe many politicians who are rubbing elbows with Putin as well. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Thai police gear up for increase in international crime post pandemic .......

When I read this first part of the headline, For just a split second, a terrible thought went through my mind; then I read the rest of it and sighed with relief!

• Haha 2

The problem lies in the police force and visa agents. Anyone can pay 15,000 baht and get an illegal visa through an agent who bribes a bent immigration officer. 
This has to be stopped, there are too many illegal immigrants here. Those who can't meet requirements should be forced to go home. 

• Like 1