Huge queues at THAI counter at Bangkok airport

webfact

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

This is bad news. Flying out in September. I don't care about THAI, as, due to very bad experience, I won't ever fly with them again, but, I guess, I'll bite the bullet and prepare on spending half a day at the airport, one way or another. Wondering how this even works, do they open check-in 5 or 6 hours before a flight now?

Although we only flew internally on VietJet early May, check-in via web/APP didn't work and when attempting to check-in at the totems a member of staff ordered us to go to the main check-in desk (even though we only had hand luggage). If that was normal and still persists..............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

When was this? is this for domestic or intl travel?

03 มิ.ย. 65 (22:35 น.)

Check in aisle H/J is Thai Airways international.

Great to see they're getting full pax loads at last.

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

On the bright side, does anyone know, whether there is an AirAsia office at Suvarnabhumi?

They didn't have an office as such when they flew from BKK and doubt if they have one at DMK. I think all their customer service interaction is done online, via app, etc..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Is there anything that works right in this country anymore? everything seems to be either too hard, too slow, not working too many changes or no information...

Well, they advertise it as "Amazing Thailand", don't they? (As in: "It's amazing how many people the guy killed with only this ladies’ purse gun…" ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, how long were the queues then? And I presume, for your domestic flight, they didn't even need to ask passengers to show their apps and paper certificates for vaccination proof. I figure, with the same personnel, it doubles time at the counter, so 4 hours sounds realistic.

The queues were longer than pre-Covid, that was very evident. You're correct, nothing asked re; vaccinations. Another thing that was different to pre-Covid days was that they weighed our carry on bags (all together, there were 4 of us on the booking). We were 4kg over the 4 X 7kg and Mrs had to pay 1,100 baht. Security at X-Ray pulled out a mobile 'phone power bank and queried it's size? My neice now has no power bank!   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Actually to add on, I doubt Thailand even has enough staff, if it did manage to get back 10 million + tourists out of nowhere. Starts at airports but the problem is in almost every industry and staying for years.

It's a global affliction. The nightmares that began at Manchester (MAN) during the Easter break have simply multiplied ten-fold a couple of months further on. Airlines are canceling flights, three-hour check-in, baggage isn't being loaded, there's a shortage of staff across the board.

20 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Security at X-Ray pulled out a mobile 'phone power bank and queried it's size? My neice now has no power bank!   

Damn, I was planning to take a few for my hiking holidays in Oz and NZ (where there are no sockets). Guess, instead of relying on my phone, I'll have to buy a couple old-school maps there. - Welcome to the early 1990s...

Power banks were no issue before the pandemic. Why now?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Damn, I was planning to take a few for my hiking holidays in Oz and NZ (where there are no plugs). Guess, instead on using my phone, I'll have to buy a couple old-school maps there...

Just buy a Solar charger

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Damn, I was planning to take a few for my hiking holidays in Oz and NZ (where there are no sockets). Guess, instead of relying on my phone, I'll have to buy a couple old-school maps there. - Welcome to the early 1990s...

Power banks were no issue in 2019. Why now?

Due to the lack of recent, frequent travel and familiarity with the rules, maybe a combination of both passenger and staff being unfamiliar with the limitations on battery size? I'm pretty sure that airline websites, the check-in and security desks at airports have this information posted somewhere.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Power banks were no issue before the pandemic. Why now?

Found this, https://www.coolblue.be/en/advice/which-power-bank-can-you-take-on-the-plane.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's good. But has security check staff at Suvarnabhumi read the article, too? Also, how to know how many I can take with me? Just one, or is two or three still okay?

The guy's saying check with your airline in advance. As you say though, will security be in agreement? Reading about my home airport (Ringway, Manchester U.K.) it's prohibited items in outgoing passenger's hand luggage that's causing most problems.