Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

For me the biggest insult is not the extra money, but the fact that Thailand is ignoring the contributions working expats make to Thai society. This, along with other restrictions lessens the incentive for talented foreigners to come and stay in Thailand long term. 

Even if a working foreigner can pay the extra money, it  alienates a person living here long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Last week at Kalasin falls in Kachanaburi I was charged 10x's more than the GF who they thought was Thai. Her 30 baht, me 300 baht and then 30 baht for the car to enter.  Tried to show my Pink ID card and was pointed to a sign confirming even non Thai resident/expat ID'S not accepted anymore. If your a foreigner your a tourist in their eyes.  If you look Thai, like my GF from Myanmar they don't even blink.  It is what it is, dual pricing, and a way to make money.  Luckily the vendors selling food don't charge the same way.......

Doing it for more than 6 years in Kanchanaburi. Used to get in on my Thai Driving License!!!????????????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

Pathetic. Thais are monied enough now to not be subsidised. If I were thai I would be deeply embarrassed by the actions of these short sighted, racist prats. 

Can you please explain how Thai's are now monied enough to be no longer subsidized?  Many workers do not argue about the extra fees required, they just point to the signage.  End of their discussion at that point, you either accept it, pay, or then leave.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wrong again.  Dual pricing as it is in Thailand is everyone not Thai pays more than a Thai, not a Thai from Satun paying more than a Thai in Kachanaburi for going to the Erawan Falls.  In the US the pricing is one for a verified local resident and then a price for not being a local resident.  So to make it clear to you two American citizens pay a different price, one who is local and one who is from somewhere else in the country, not the same my friend.

Where do locals pay less? Local is in that state?    I have never  seen this in Utah or Colorado. I call BS

Keep up the good work. There is nobody in town anyhow so I suggest you ten-, twenty- .... no fifty-fold the fees. 
As long as I am charged according to the colour of my skin, despite having paid millions and millions of Baht in direct taxes, I will ensure that I will recommend everybody to vote with their feet.

The problem could have been solved much easier like most countries anywhere else, where people are not that greedy and loaded with an inferiority complex as in Thailand.
Let the locals and proven non-Thai residents get in free of charge; all others pay a nominal fee, children go free as well. But with all those crooked governments this country has been continuously raped, there is no wonder. 

Message is simple, stay away (as in the past) and continue to eat money until you realize, that you're really running down the wrong alley. Another thick nail into Thailand's tourism coffin - well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

But does the government in fact make any money from this practice....I mean, enough to really make a difference to the nation's finances.  ( I guess I am assuming I am like most ex-pats....visiting a National Park just once in a decade.....)

I'd be willing to bet that most of it goes into someone's pocket - who is checking ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Twice you've stated this on the thread incorrectly imho. If there are two prices its dual pricing. 'nuff said.

It's not the same.

ALL local residents regardless of appearance/"race"/nationality get the local price - it is not discriminatory/racist as it is in Thailand.

(It is also rare to be offered local prices at all in the US).

Edited by JimmyJ

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Where do locals pay less? Local is in that state?    I have never  seen this in Utah or Colorado. I call BS

I don't know about Colorado or Utah, but in California at Disneyland they do have dual pricing but it isn't like in Thailand.  If you live in Southern California, let's say Huntington Beach, You can purchase a local pass which gives you a discount to enter Disneyland.  If you, from Utah, want to enter you pay the full price as would any other US citizen from any other state or foreign tourists.  It's a pass only for the locals of southern California.

• Thanks 1

Again, a thread showing just exactly all the 'cheap Charlies' living in Thailand.

I have no issue paying 100/200/500 THB to gain entrance to attractions that are still a fraction of the cost in my home country.

I get excellent dental and medical care here in Thailand for the fraction of the cost in my home country.

Eating out and the cost of fresh quality fruits/veggies is a fraction of the cost in my home country.

If you 'cheap Charlies' don't like it then move, but quit your PAM. It makes you sound old and senile.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

We lived in Hawaii for many years and there was a three tier pricing system.

1. .One for residents aka, Kama’āina, (regardless of nationality). 
2. Non Residents from other U. S. States also regardless of nationality.

3. Foreign citizens regardless of skin color or country of origin. 
Obtaining a local ID card or Driver License in Hawaii required proof of residence and was the only ID required for reduced rates. 
All expats in Thailand can or should have a Yellow card and Pink ID which would easily distinguish an expat from a tourist. The fact that we, as expats, pay exorbitant entrance fees is price gouging xenophobia on steroids. Just as mentioned on a previous post, I just won’t go until this changes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Can you please explain how Thai's are now monied enough to be no longer subsidized?  Many workers do not argue about the extra fees required, they just point to the signage.  End of their discussion at that point, you either accept it, pay, or then leave.

Thais are not going to pay 200-400 baht to enter a park.  On the high end, that's a day's wage, per person.

Would anyone pay $100 USD or 100 EUR per person, to enter any park in their home country.  That's just silly.

2 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Simple fix. If your a foreigner stop visiting dual price venues. When revenue drops the greedy venues will drop there prices.

Dual pricing has been going on here for donkeys years. I don't see it changing any time soon.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Dual pricing is routine in the US. 

I am not contesting just asking to learn by you citing examples. I am aware that some states deferential between state residents and out of state residents but am not aware of anyone targeting "foreigners". That would result in bad Public Relations if they wanted to promote tourism. Glad I retained my Lifetime US Pass so that me and my Thai family members will not be charged any entrance fees at:

National Park Service

US Fish & Wildlife Service

Bureau of Land Management

Bureau of Reclamation

US Forest Service

US Army Corps of Engineers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Dual pricing is routine in the US. 

It is, but as the Thais would say, “same same but different”.  

The way dual pricing works at State and National Parks in the US. and other locations such as ski resorts, amusement parks and some other attractions is that there is a set base price of admission which everybody, foreignor or not, pays. The tiered pricing comes in to play at a discount for senior citizens, children and disabled regardless of the status of their citizenship. U.S. military veterans and students with proper identification also pay a discounted entry fee.