Non-O based on marriage in Phnom Phen - is wife actual signature in pen required?

The consulate wants to see a copy of the wife's ID card and passport according to their website.

I read here that my wife should sign these documents.

However, I'm not in Thailand, so I can't get her to sign anything "live".

She can send me a photo of these documents along with her signature, and I can print them.

Is that generally accepted by the consulate?

I imagine it has to be accepted, since people are generally requesting a visa when they're away from their wives...

3 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

I imagine it has to be accepted

Nothing has to be accepted. 

PP was the most difficult and unfriendly place in the region to get visas for years.

I doubt that has changed much, but you never know. 

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try doing the application with copies of the signed ID card and passport (normally copies her house book registry would be needed}.

I do have copies of everything, including her tabien baan, I just don't have a pen signature on them...

10 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

I do have copies of everything, including her tabien baan, I just don't have a pen signature on them...

I am sure they will want signed copies. Could your wife sign some copies and email them to you?

If you time she could send them by International Express Mail to you if needed.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Could your wife sign some copies and email them to you?

Email? Sure, that she can definitely do. That was my original question, whether anyone knows if it will be accepted.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you time she could send them by International Express Mail to you if needed

Yeah was just hoping I wouldn't have to stay in PP that long, it's not a positive experience.

22 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

Email? Sure, that she can definitely do. That was my original question, whether anyone knows if it will be accepted.

You try that and sign the copies yourself. I think may accept them if she signed the emailed copies.

24 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

Yeah was just hoping I wouldn't have to stay in PP that long, it's not a positive experience.

That may be your last report if the don't accept the copies I mentioned above.

It may only take a couple of days to get them.

Is there any original of your wife signature on any documents you are taking to the embassy? Check really good. If there is one forget abiut my suggestion.. but if you are really sure that there is no signature of your wife on any paper.... then just sign them. Practice a signature. As probably you know thais dont have complicated signatures. Just create a simple one ????

i did like this fee years ago for khon kaen immigration. My boss forgot to sign 1 paper and  immigration didnt accept it. It was my last day, when i went back to office he was not there and no where to be found. So i put the paper he signed on a window (sun wqs behind the window) then put the paper he forgot to sign, well i just copy the sign. It was not good of course but not bad too. Immigration didnt even check anything, got the visa.. you can try this too if your wifes signature is on any paper too. Just print some and try to copy over your wifes s8gnature. Take the best one with you.

or ask your wife to send her signature to you via email. Copy from there.

prepare a reason for you too if they ask whats wrong with the signature. You can tell she signed them on the bus, car, etc. She forgot to signed 1 and she signed in a hurry in tuk tuk.. etc. Something like that

ps: im pretty sure they will not accept black link or printed out copy signatures. You need a wet signature with blue link. For them black link means copy.

ps 2: i think kor2 document (the one showes you guys are married) have her and your signature. You can also copy from there

Good luck

Edited by problemfarang

• 2 weeks later...

Updating in case anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation...

I briefly considered trying to sign as her myself (as @problemfarang mentioned) , but my penmanship skills aren't up to the task and it felt unnecessarily risky. Eventually, I decided to just submit the documents with her printed signature. It was slightly pixelated and in black, so quite obvious that it was a printout.

The documents were inspected and accepted by the front desk without any problem, and the visa was issued successfully a few days later.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, ubonjoe said:

You try that and sign the copies yourself

In the end, I decided not to do that so it won't attract any unwanted attention to the fact that one of the signatures wasn't done with a pen.

• Thanks 2

On 6/8/2022 at 9:20 AM, araiwaja said:

...Is that generally accepted by the consulate?...

There is no general rule and you should ask the consulate where you plan to apply for your visa.