It's all going cashless!

proton

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Starting to see more and more free wifi hot spots popping up here in Bangkok. All the malls have them based upon your cellular provider if you care to log in....so many afraid their phone will get malware.

Or you can forget all this wifi stuff and just pay AIS 1,800 Baht a year for unlimited data 24/7/365 ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Credit cars ? online purchases ?

Are you worried about your 7-11 purchases being watched ?

I’m genuinely curious, what exactly is the concern that 'big brother’ can track purchases ?

I don't mind having what I do at present tracked, because it is not a complete record. Different story entirely if governments can track everything I do.

Think about it, let's say you are having a bit of fluff on the side your Mrs. does not know about. Hypothetically, of course. She gets a regular stipend from you.

Would you be comfortable with your government having that information?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eleftheros said:

There is a well known saying: convenience is control.

So it may be convenient to pay everything through your mobile phone, but it means your transaction is no longer simply two-way trade between you and the shop: the bank or credit card company now is the crucial middleman which controls whether the payment goes through.

So what happens if some middleman entity decides you are an 'undesirable' of some kind, and decides to block your payment or access to cash? Of course it happens like that if you have maxxed out the card, but that's only one reason to block a payment.

So far, such a kind of 'social credit' scheme only operates in China and maybe Canada, but I expect it will soon spread to other places quite rapidly.

Drink to much, smoke to much, eat sugar to much, well they could just ban you from buying these things if there was no cash...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

What you do with cash i do with a phone as fast maybe faster.. it all depends i got people with cash who dont prepare they take as long as those with phones who dont prepare.

Its all about preparation and getting used to it.

No, it's all about location! Come here to the North in a remote area and try to pay by card or mobile. You will leave the shop with empty hands. Only one exception: 7/11. But there it takes longer than cash.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I stopped going to Major for this reason and only go to SF Cinema City. They still take cash. The prepaid cards always have money left over you don't use. Vote with your feet. 

Not entirely true.  I went to the SF Cinema in the Central Bang Phli last weekend to catch the new Top Gun Movie, only by transfer or use of a card they have is allowed for ticket purchases.  However, when I bought my popcorn and soda I paid cash, and the daughter had to use coins to play the arcade games....hmmm

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Part of what I do is analysing how people use "customer facing" interfaces.

It's incredible how many people will queue for, say, an ATM, but wait until it says "please insert card" before rummaging in their bag for the relevant item ???? 

It's the same with pay cash, I calculate in advance how much I have to pay, and have instantly the money present, not so difficult....when you have,..... no when you use your brains.

• Like 1

In the west Google pay or a fallback contactless card.. All so simple and if you use the right banking apps all with auto budgeting and categorization of spending etc... 

All for it (less so Thais QR systems and no consumer protection). 

• Confused 1

Problems for cash money:  counterfeit money. If you lose cash, you must be very lucky to get it back.

Problems for paying by card or mobile:

safety; card datas have been stolen on ATMs by criminals.

just a short time before, card paying has been stopped in Germany for cards of some issuers because of a data mistake/s;

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, puck2 said:

No, it's all about location! Come here to the North in a remote area and try to pay by card or mobile. You will leave the shop with empty hands. Only one exception: 7/11. But there it takes longer than cash.

That is probably true too, cant speak for all of Thailand just Bangkok and provinces around BKK. But I absolutely paying by mobile. Loved it when I could pay by mobile at the Makro. 

But you need to be like technology too. 

18 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It's the same with pay cash, I calculate in advance how much I have to pay, and have instantly the money present, not so difficult....when you have,..... no when you use your brains.

Four bottles of Chang : 53 Baht times 4 = 212 Baht 

I packet of SMS Deng = 60 Baht .

Total cost 272 Baht 

24 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Problems for cash money:  counterfeit money. If you lose cash, you must be very lucky to get it back.

Problems for paying by card or mobile:

safety; card datas have been stolen on ATMs by criminals.

just a short time before, card paying has been stopped in Germany for cards of some issuers because of a data mistake/s;

Welcome to QFS

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I don't mind having what I do at present tracked, because it is not a complete record. Different story entirely if governments can track everything I do.

Think about it, let's say you are having a bit of fluff on the side your Mrs. does not know about. Hypothetically, of course. She gets a regular stipend from you.

Would you be comfortable with your government having that information?

Why would the Government have any interest if you were using prostitutes ? 

17 minutes ago, Chris.B said:
2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Makro near us is going the same way, scan and pay by transfer.

No way. BS! 

My Macro doesn’t accept the Credit cards I have...  (I think only accepts SCB cards). 

Cashless payment by scanning the QR code takes seconds.... for those who are ‘at the ready’.

That is.. it takes seconds IF you’re not some dozey halfwit who waits for everything to be scanned and be told the total before digging out there phone, logging into the Banking APP, then selecting Scan QR then triple checking everything before accepting. 

Its like arriving home...  getting into the lift, going up 25 floors, getting out of the lift, walking to the front door, then looking through the handbag for keys !!....   or get the keys out in the lift.

But, it was always the same with credit cards and cash.. they same people waited to find out the total before getting their purse out... the irony being they were usually on their phone !!! ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

legality...

Governments the World over turn a blind eye to prostitution , some Countries its completely legal  .

The only time when authorities get involved is when pimps , gangs or children get involved . 

No ones going to be bother about Lek spreading her legs for 1000 Bhat