Claiming tax back from my savings account – I think Ive messed it up.

I have a saving account with krungsri bank and normally I go to the bank around March time to request the forms so I can claim back the tax that has been taken from that savings account . In the past I have had no problems and used my Tax ID card ( 13 digits ) and eventually received a tax refund payment cheque in the post. 

Due to a family bereavement I totally forgot to go to the krungsri bank in March this year ( 2022 ) to request the forms to claim back any tax taken for the previous year ( 2021 ) and only now just remembered that I had not claimed the past tax back .

Its a days travailing to the krungsri bank where my savings account is held , so before I make that long journey I wanted to try and find out how I stand with missing making a claim for a tax refund

I also wondered if its possible to make a claim for any tax taken from my savings account , but online some how .

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome  - Thank You .

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I have a Krungsri savings account and when i showed them my tax id card they adjusted the account to stop deducting tax. Better that for the future.

Thanks, I did not know that ????

On 6/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, tomgreen said:

Just an update , I managed to register on line to check my Tax situation and find out how long I have to claim any unclaimed back tax from my savings account.

Thanks . 

Could you walk us through how you did that? If you need to read Thai then don't worry and likewise if you work and pay tax anyhow.

My understanding is that normally (excluding Covid deferrals) you are supposed to file by the end of March for the previous year. You can file later, even a year later, but you are charged 100 or 200 baht for being late. Does that gel with what you found out?

• 7 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, topt said:

Could you walk us through how you did that?

I already have a Tax Identification Number so managed to register for the online filing system here...   https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-efiling-web/register by using Chrome & getting it to Translate the page. 

The only tricky part is country of passport so had to use Google Translate/Lens mobile app to go through the list before finally finding the right one... 

68A2F017-24ED-41BD-B7D6-2E389AFC0B8E.thumb.jpeg.7838a215a5070a1fa87e0feacb1c3c72.jpeg

87AA2935-B32A-4FDD-A229-0C2103487A0A.thumb.png.d4827ecd24c171836327b4f547855973.png

I think the next step is to go into the bank to get a letter confirming the withheld tax and upload it to the site but would welcome any pointers for how to do the next steps...

Also, if I do decide to do it in person, do a need to go to Immigration for a Residency Certificate 1st? - I know I needed one to get my TIN but not sure if I need one to file a return. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 1/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I already have a Tax Identification Number so managed to register for the online filing system here...   https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-efiling-web/register by using Chrome & getting it to Translate the page. 

The only tricky part is country of passport so had to use Google Translate/Lens mobile app to go through the list before finally finding the right one... 

68A2F017-24ED-41BD-B7D6-2E389AFC0B8E.thumb.jpeg.7838a215a5070a1fa87e0feacb1c3c72.jpeg

87AA2935-B32A-4FDD-A229-0C2103487A0A.thumb.png.d4827ecd24c171836327b4f547855973.png

I think the next step is to go into the bank to get a letter confirming the withheld tax and upload it to the site but would welcome any pointers for how to do the next steps...

Also, if I do decide to do it in person, do a need to go to Immigration for a Residency Certificate 1st? - I know I needed one to get my TIN but not sure if I need one to file a return. 

Did the revenue department ask you to get a residency certificate before they would give you a TIN?

Which revenue department did you go to?

4 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Did the revenue department ask you to get a residency certificate before they would give you a TIN?

Which revenue department did you go to?

I originally went to Revenue Department 3 which is more or less across Jomtien 2nd Road from Soi 5 (Jomtien Immigration) 

https://goo.gl/maps/d3RxuXyWjzSeNczL7

They informed me that I as I lived in Wongamat, I needed to use the Revenue Office in North Na Klua... 

https://goo.gl/maps/ZRzJMcpyho9S4yEi9

... but were very helpful & explained what I would need to get a TIN which included a Residency Certificate. 

As we were just across the road from Jomtien IO & as I had all of the documents with me I thought I would need for the Tax Office (Passport, Copy of my Condo Lease, TM30, Photos etc...) I popped in & 1 hour/300b (+ about 15b in "Copying Fees") later I walked out with one (I needed all of the documents mentioned). 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2023 at 1:05 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I think the next step is to go into the bank to get a letter confirming the withheld tax and upload it to the site

Is this true? I filed online recently to claim withheld tax on bank interest but didn't upload any papers. Are we meant to?

4 hours ago, omnipresent said:

Is this true? I filed online recently to claim withheld tax on bank interest but didn't upload any papers. Are we meant to?

I don't know for sure as I've only ever filed (once) in person & I needed to show it so was assuming they'd want to see it for an online submission. 

Still haven't received my refund so have given up on it & not going to bother filing in the future unless I'm forced to. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

7 hours ago, omnipresent said:

You not have to upload the papers. But if you don't upload, then it could be the Revenue office will come back with the question to support your claims.

I always upload the documents, and I receive normaly the refund in about 5-6 days in my account.

Only the first time I not uploaded them, and I had a note in the system, to show evidence. Mean It took longer to receive the refund.

The paper not cost me anything, except run to the banks to receive the papers. Some banks you can receive the documents right away with a waiting time of a 10-15 minutes. Other banks they need like 5-6 days for producing the papers. But even this is not a big Issue. 

I mostly go to the banks in begining of january to receive my documents, which I then can claim back the tax.

Edited by HampiK