Thailand looks at easing visa rules in bid to boost tourism

webfact

I'm happy with that,

Along with scrapping the Thai Pass and Compulsory Covid insurance, allowing nightlife to stay open later,  that's what Thailand is all about,

50thb to the pound would be the icing on the cake????????

On 6/13/2022 at 12:14 AM, ikke1959 said:

Easy visa rules is the only thing that keep tourists away... The expensive Baht, double pricing, mask wearing, and the political unrest and the handling of it are doing much more harm to the country... and than we don't speak about alcohol resrictions, e cigarettes, Thailand Pass and entry fee of 300 THB. Thailand needs a new Government and reforms and welcomes the tourists instead of the policy they do now. Backpackers, are welcome again, more acceptable visa rules for expats and retirees, and  place where everyone can get officially married...and look how quickly the economy will rise again 

Baht hit 35.04 for a $$ at 6PM this evening, a long way from its lows and highs over the years, but its a far stretch calling it 'expensive'  all the rest above I can live with as well........political unrest, not my problem.....double pricing??  Don't go there.....mask wearing, I live in Hawaii and there is still a mask mandate (albiet not enforced) even if dropped, I'll wear one in crowds......hell, my wife started wearing them in the SE Asia SARS episodes, and never stopped wearing them in airports, a thousand people walking around and she will be the only one wearing a mask. Your last sentence is spot on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ro54 said:

For me, the STV was perfect. Are staying 6 months each year, and will still do for a couple of years more. S bit more hassle to get the OA, but a bit more paperwork. Easing on some requirements would be great....

Surprised to read that as generally I thought the take up of the STV had been very low. Similarly the O-X. The addition of  an insurance obligation to O-A and extensions thereof did that no favours....The even newer, long term ones (LTR?) have very restrictive lock up or invest your money rules which surely will make them unattractive. 

During Covid they tried everything to get a few tourists here, while actually scaring them off with threats of expensive quarantine. They need to eliminate the plethora of restrictive options and come up with a simpler approach. 

(Then I can sell my house to some hapless foreigner and move on!)

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:01 AM, aussiexpat said:

Do you think your circle of family and friends make up the World view? I know many people like myself who do 60 days Thailand, 60 days home country for 6 months a year in Thailand.

Now I can do 75 days at a time

Not exactly a tourist then, ate you? Just like I was never a tourist, just a man coming home to family.

The key word here is TOURISTS.  Globally, data shows that international holidays tend to be around 1 two 2 weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Not exactly a tourist then, ate you? Just like I was never a tourist, just a man coming home to family.

The key word here is TOURISTS.  Globally, data shows that international holidays tend to be around 1 two 2 weeks.

I'm definitely a tourist as I don't live there, dont pay tax there, don't even own a vehicle there. Why can't I be a tourist 75 days at a time like they propose

Edited by aussiexpat

Just now, aussiexpat said:

I'm definitely a tourist as I don't live there, why can't I be a tourist 75 days at a time like they propose

Fine you making the argument, but it is Thailand's immigration who actually make that determination. They have the yeah or nay say at the airport or land border,

The visa exempt and TV entries are for tourists, and certainly not for those living most of the year in Thailand. The old adage was 'get a correct visa type'... and pre Covid, people were being turned away for overuse of tourist entries..... 

That situation can return....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Baht hit 35.04 for a $$ at 6PM this evening, a long way from its lows and highs over the years, but its a far stretch calling it 'expensive'  all the rest above I can live with as well........political unrest, not my problem.....double pricing??  Don't go there.....mask wearing, I live in Hawaii and there is still a mask mandate (albiet not enforced) even if dropped, I'll wear one in crowds......hell, my wife started wearing them in the SE Asia SARS episodes, and never stopped wearing them in airports, a thousand people walking around and she will be the only one wearing a mask. Your last sentence is spot on.

A view of somebody who doesn't live in this country .... easy to have an opinion if you don't know what is going on

The last time I travelled, I could not get a 90 day visa, unless I wanted a work visa.

I have to get a 60 day visa, then 1900 baht to extend the extra time I was in country.

Come on Thailand join the 21 century, and get your visa requirement modernized.

2 whole more weeks, BIG DEAL..   not.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Fine you making the argument, but it is Thailand's immigration who actually make that determination. They have the yeah or nay say at the airport or land border,

The visa exempt and TV entries are for tourists, and certainly not for those living most of the year in Thailand. The old adage was 'get a correct visa type'... and pre Covid, people were being turned away for overuse of tourist entries..... 

That situation can return....

Exactly... I followed my Thai wife here.  The first 2 years I travelled under the Visa exempt, good for 30 days, twice got the 60 day visa.  The second year of travelling back and forth on "tourist" visas I was advised by immigration that since I had a wife, I'd better start using the proper visa as I was misusing the tourist one. After that did the multi entry non-O good for 90 days at a time.  And good advice as it saved me money in the long run, and made entry almost hassle free.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Exactly... I followed my Thai wife here.  The first 2 years I travelled under the Visa exempt, good for 30 days, twice got the 60 day visa.  The second year of travelling back and forth on "tourist" visas I was advised by immigration that since I had a wife, I'd better start using the proper visa as I was misusing the tourist one. After that did the multi entry non-O good for 90 days at a time.  And good advice as it saved me money in the long run, and made entry almost hassle free.

Wasn't the Non-Imm-O Multiple then cancelled or could not be issued nearby....? I certainly recall a lot of complaints from guys in your shoes (and those working offshore but living here) when it was. It might be a while, as they want to see a post Covid recovery, but before Covid, I would say they were making things harder for younger people to live here. Certainty not a climate of 'easing' this thread is about. 

On 6/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, Robert Merrell said:

Also ,how about a volunteer visa ,to spend time in schools talking English to teachers and students 

Firstly because it would be abused by everyone from the schools who would use 'volunteers' to replace teachers (thus taking work away from other people which is a definite no), through to the subset of volunteers who just want an easy stay in Thailand.

It's a nice idea that could work in practice if a lot of effort went into it, but when has any real effort been put into implementing a scheme here?

Secondly there already is a volunteer visa/extension of stay. And guess who it's used by and what for?

On 6/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, sandyf said:

How many western countries have visa exempt for Thai nationals?

All one sided.

Not really...Look for instance at USA they give 90 days to 40 countries but the deal is those countries also give 90 days to USA citizens when visiting there

So ball is in Thailand's court

Give 90 get 90 for Thai citizens

The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of 40 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism purposes without a visa for up to 90 days. These purposes must be the same as those for the B1 visa or the B2 visa

The program is administered by the Department of Homeland Security and was created to improve security for the people who visit the United States and also so that US citizens can travel to the other 40 countries freely. It brings mutual benefits and most importantly, makes traveling a lot safer.

https://visaguide.world/us-visa/nonimmigrant/visitor/visa-waiver-program/

21 hours ago, mania said:

Not really...Look for instance at USA they give 90 days to 40 countries but the deal is those countries also give 90 days to USA citizens when visiting there

https://visaguide.world/us-visa/nonimmigrant/visitor/visa-waiver-program/

So you believe that if Thailand gave 90 days visa exempt for Americans they would be added to the US visa waiver programme. 

You fail to point out that only about half a dozen of the 40 countries are outside Europe and close friends of the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, mania said:

Have you ever bothered to investigate what it takes for a Thai citizen earning typical Thai wages to be granted a tourist visa to the US?

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, user305 said:

Have you ever bothered to investigate what it takes for a Thai citizen earning typical Thai wages to be granted a tourist visa to the US?

I was once told by a Minister of a Church in Bangkok:   "It's easier to get into Heaven than the United States of America".  And he is rich!!  It will be impossible for a poor person to get a Visa, even uinder the Lottery Program,  they still have to prove they will not become a 'public charge' and can support themselves../

• Confused 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I live in Hawaii and there is still a mask mandate (albiet not enforced) even if dropped, I'll wear one in crowds......

Bro I dont know which Hawaii you mean but the State of Hawaii dropped mask rules on March 26th & we have not worn one since

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/03/08/governor-state-health-department-hold-news-conference-mask-mandate/

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, jacko45k said:

How about the USA starts the ball rolling by giving 30 Visa free days, as Thailand gives to USA citizens? 

Actually they usually do better

My wife came in 2007 with a 2 week tourist visa

The decision is actually left to customs gate & the lady said 2 weeks??? I think you need 6 months & that is what she gave her

Think that would ever happen in Thailand??

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, user305 said:

Pffft

I brought my wife to USA in 2007 as my girl friend ( she a Thai citizen earning a Thai wage<sic>)

Then used status change to allow her to stay

Where she then became US citizen in her third year

So yeah to answer your question I think I do have a clue...

Edited by mania

1 hour ago, mania said:

The decision is actually left to customs gate & the lady said 2 weeks??? I think you need 6 months & that is what she gave her

So she had to get a Visa despite being married to a USA Citizen....? USA guys can enter Thailand without a Visa. That is not better.

2007... long time ago. I got my Mrs a Visa for the UK... it was no mean feat, but did allow her to stay quite a long time... neither of us wanted to!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:35 PM, Millcx said:

Thailand is now 6 months behind the world … There has to be more than this that meets the eye …. Maybe it’s a game of how to destroy a country in one easy lesson .. Well it’s working Anutin

So what, is it a race.... is the target perhaps number of infections or something?

On 6/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, Grecian said:

But the average Thai is producing wealth thru work, he just doesn't get to keep it in the form of low wages. His usefulness to the Thai elites is not in his spending.

backpackers on 1000US a month or less only spend money on very low profit margin goods and services. As each foreigner does contribute to the dilution of the culture, their worth to the country is highly questionable.

tourist financial status is solely their business. If they can afford a long haul air ticket they can afford to stay here short term.

????????” dilution of Culture” ? No farang ever made even a tiny dent in the underlying culture here !????????

On 6/17/2022 at 8:08 AM, sandyf said:

So you believe that if Thailand gave 90 days visa exempt for Americans they would be added to the US visa waiver programme. 

You fail to point out that only about half a dozen of the 40 countries are outside Europe and close friends of the US.

Rich East Asian/Aus-NZ no doubt ????

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, WinterGael said:

How would Immigration know you had a Thai wife ? Should not be volunteering any private data to govt. no benefit . Assume they will invariably look to use it against you ????

2 hours ago, mania said:

US has the nastiest intrusive ( western) Federal Govt. This culture feeds into US Immigration which questioning can be downright brutal for the simplest of cases. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, WinterGael said:

“ international “ too broad a category. Weekends in Mexico from US or Rome from UK are quite different to 12-16 hour long haul flight vacations. Who travels long haul for a week holiday ? Nearly no one except the rich I guess. ????

Just change the O-A visa back to what it was prior to the demand for (useless) insurance came in to play. And I will come back spending money in Thailand 5-8 month of the year like I use to do.

Or a 90-day visa exempt like Malaysia. If you could extend that 1 time.