Bangkok woman dies in free diving accident off Sattahip - police investigating

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police and navy divers were called after a woman learning to free dive 8 nautical miles off Sattahip was dragged under water by a rope attached to a 10 kilogram weight that snapped dragging her underwater.

The accident happened during a sudden riptide according to one of the instructors present in the area near Koh Juang, Samae San. 

Naval Special warfare Command divers and rescue services found Hataya Rimphanawet, 35, under the sea with her right hand entangled in 10-15 meters of red rope that had been attached to the metal weight.

Thararat, 34, an instructor said that at 11 am yesterday a group of students were being taught to free dive without aids in 20 meters of water.

A sudden powerful riptide hit the area detaching the support boat's anchor from its rope. The boat flowed away on the riptide and everyone was ordered out of the water or to hold onto a buoy, reported Thai Rath.

But the victim got entangled in a rope and as instructors tried to free her the rope snapped and she was dragged under water by the weight.

They tried to find and help her but she had been dragged away under the water.

Rescue was called at noon and the body was found at 5.15 pm.

The body was taken to the Police Hospital in Bangkok for autopsy as local police began their investigation. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, webfact said:

A sudden powerful riptide hit the area detaching the support boat's anchor from its rope.

Was it not tied on properly?

Or was it not very thick that it snapped?

Either way, the boat people's fault.

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

definitely the boater's fault. sounds like the anchor separated from the rope, and another rope that was tied to a buoy. that's 2 ropes. either someone doesn't know how to tie a proper knot or the ropes are way too old. for 2 things to go wrong resulting in a death, the boater has a lot of explaining/blaming to do

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kidneyw said:

First, RIP to the poor lady. I have freedived a lot in my days, and I have seen my share of ugly accidents. So sad.

About your judgement on the "boat people", I beg to differ. Once she is in the water with an instructor, it's his/her responsibility to check all equipment.

btw, in variable weight - which apparently is what she was doing - you normally hold a weight tied to a rope, when you reach the prefixed depth you let go and swim back up. So it the rope "snapped" as the article implies, it would have been so easy to let go and abort. Perhaps she got entangled in the snapped rope? Perhaps the descent was too quick and she passed out and could not react?

More importantly, if it is true that they were diving with just 20m sea floor, it would have been very easy for the instructor (assuming he/she was properly qualified) to dive down and take her back even if unconscious. It's part of a freediving instructor course to do that up to 40m.

Of course, I say this without having been there. Since they mention a current, perhaps the instructor did try to reach her and could not find her due to poor visibility.

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

definitely the boater's fault. sounds like the anchor separated from the rope, and another rope that was tied to a buoy. that's 2 ropes. either someone doesn't know how to tie a proper knot or the ropes are way too old. for 2 things to go wrong resulting in a death, the boater has a lot of explaining/blaming to do

read my comment just above this one.

Edited by arithai12