Poramese “Beer” Ngampiches officially certified as Pattaya Mayor

snoop1130

280854976_709607456854916_8621513471937318360_n-1-696x524.jpg

PHOTO: ปรเมศวร์-เบียร์ งามพิเชษฐ์

Poramese “Beer” Ngampichese has officially been certified as the new Pattaya Mayor by the Election Commission and vows to fulfill his four major campaign promises.

The Election Commission eventually verified the Pattaya mayor election yesterday, June 13th, saying that the election has been honest and fair in accordance with Section 17 of the Provincial Administrative Election Act of 2019. The No.1 candidate from the Rao Rak Pattaya team Poramese Ngampichese who obtained the most votes is, therefore, certified as the Pattaya Mayor, effective yesterday June 13th.

Meanwhile Poramese after knowing this announcement told the Pattaya press that he would immediately start working on his four campaign promises: Fixing the tourism-reliant economy, uplifting overall living conditions including roadworks being finished, solving flooding problems, and improving education for youth in Pattaya.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/14/poramese-beer-ngampiches-officially-certified-as-pattaya-mayor-vows-to-fulfill-four-major-campaign-promises/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

ปรเมศวร์ งามพิเชษฐ์

Poramet Ngampichet

Why can't the editors of English language news outlets at least get his name right, or the transliteration thereof? Both the ศ in his given name and the ษ in his family name become 't', as per Thai language rules, as they are both final consonants of final syllables, and the ว is mute.

Thank you.

Edited by bradiston
Alternative transcrip
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bradiston said:

ปรเมศวร์ งามพิเชษฐ์

Poramet Ngampichet

Why can't the editors of English language news outlets at least get his name right, or the transliteration thereof? Both the ศ in his given name and the ษ in his family name become 't', as per Thai language rules, as they are both final consonants of final syllables, and the ว is mute.

Thank you.

WGAF!

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

would immediately start working on his four campaign promises: Fixing the tourism-reliant economy, uplifting overall living conditions including roadworks being finished, solving flooding problems, and improving education for youth in Pattaya.

i'm pretty sure that none of this will become a reality

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

ปรเมศวร์ งามพิเชษฐ์

Poramet Ngampichet

Thank you.

"Poramet" is certainly a more useful transliteration - since it tells non-Thai speakers how his name is actually pronounced - and I believe it's also the English spelling that he uses officially.

That having been said, "Poramese" is still a legitimate transliteration, albeit one that's really only useful to Thai speakers (since it helps them figure out the original Thai spelling). There are still plenty of signs for "Surawongse" and "Srinagarindra" roads, for example, which are perfectly understandable to people who know Thai, but extremely confusing to those who don't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

"Poramet" is certainly a more useful transliteration - since it tells non-Thai speakers how his name is actually pronounced - and I believe it's also the English spelling that he uses officially.

That having been said, "Poramese" is still a legitimate transliteration, albeit one that's really only useful to Thai speakers (since it helps them figure out the original Thai spelling). There are still plenty of signs for "Surawongse" and "Srinagarindra" roads, for example, which are perfectly understandable to people who know Thai, but extremely confusing to those who don't. 

I remember, going back a few years, how สวัสดี would be transcribed as swasdee, as that's how it's spelt, but not how it's pronounced. But that's the beauty of the Thai language, and part of the fun of learning to read it. His name is, I guess, from Sanskrit/Pali, like most Thai names. And before people start on about crazy Thai this and crazy Thai that, consider, just for starters, Messrs Cholmondeley, Wemyss and Beauchamp!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Excel said:
11 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Who is he related to in the present or past in connection with Thai politics?

Why, do you think there may be an issue regarding his actual parentage ? ????

Given the history of Thai politics that response seems somewhat naive.....  

(unless your smiley indicates sarcasm..  In which case I’ve misjudged your response) 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, SidJames said:

He was Deputy Minister for Culture in the current government, working under the outgoing Mayor's brother.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bradiston said:

I remember, going back a few years, how สวัสดี would be transcribed as swasdee, as that's how it's spelt, but not how it's pronounced. But that's the beauty of the Thai language, and part of the fun of learning to read it. His name is, I guess, from Sanskrit/Pali, like most Thai names. And before people start on about crazy Thai this and crazy Thai that, consider, just for starters, Messrs Cholmondeley, Wemyss and Beauchamp!

IMG_20220615_172900.jpg

7 hours ago, SidJames said:

Is just the same same as last time. Pattaya keeps electing the same people who keep doing nothing.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bradiston said:

My least favourite publication, I have to say.

please keep us informed as to the outcome of your written complaint to them about their allegedly erroneous transthingamebob ????