Debit Visa Card

I have a bank account with 'Smile Bank'. All's well and good until I want to transfer money to my bank account in Thailand using 'Wise'. I think between me and Smile Bank there is a misunderstanding. More likely me. 

Anyway I want to transfer 9,000 GBP through 'Wise', paying with my 'Debit Card'. Is it correct that I have to get permission from 'Smile Bank' before I can do the transfer? Or is the transfer done just between me and 'Wise' and my 'Debit Card'?

I hope I've explained that correctly. Getting old is no fun.

What is smile bank? Debit card had higher fees for wise transfer. I also believe there is a limit how much you can transfer using a debit card. Never used debit card. So not sure. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

My Visa Debit Card is issued by Santander International, for some reason they regard card transfers to Wise as a cash advance and have a daily limit of £500.

Funding a Wise transfer via a bank transfer is cheaper than using a debit card and £9k is well under the Wise transaction limit.

• Like 2

Most banks in Thailand can only accept international transfers at a maximum value of 50,000bt via Wise at present.

I guess the OP os aware of this fact, though, as they give a clear warning every time you try to make a transfer (even if under 50,000bt, for some reason!) which explains the limit and lists the banks which are exempt from the limit. I thought I'd mention it, though, just in case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

until I want to transfer money to my bank account in Thailand using 'Wise'.

What's your Thai bank?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

So does anyone know what the maximum limit is to do an international money transfer? 

I transfer from Debit card Oz all the time..... the limit for wise is there   $Oz18,000... £10,276.47, but you can do as many transfers as you want---I have only done 2 on same day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Most banks in Thailand can only accept international transfers at a maximum value of 50,000bt via Wise at present.

I guess the OP os aware of this fact, though, as they give a clear warning every time you try to make a transfer (even if under 50,000bt, for some reason!) which explains the limit and lists the banks which are exempt from the limit. I thought I'd mention it, though, just in case.

Not quite true, the main banks Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, SCB can do over 50k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not quite true, the main banks Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, SCB can do over 50k

Umm. I don't know what classes a bank as a "main" bank but when I said "most" banks, I was working on as a percentage of the amount of entities that exist, not the amount of customers they may or may not have.

There are definitely more than 6 banks in total making my statement, on the basis described above, correct.

I apologize if it wasn't clear.

• Like 1

All I wanted to do was transfer 9,000 GBP from my UK bank to the Bangkok Bank via 'Wise' using my Debit Card. My bank in the UK denied the transaction every time because I never asked for their permission first. My Debit Card had the money in my account to cover the transfer. So why do I have to get my UK banks permission to do the transfer? 

What really gets up my nose is the fact to get their permission I have to do it by phone, 6 hours time difference, and wait a ridiculous time in a queue to get that permission. Why can't I do it by a 'secure message'?

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

All I wanted to do was transfer 9,000 GBP from my UK bank to the Bangkok Bank via 'Wise' using my Debit Card. My bank in the UK denied the transaction every time because I never asked for their permission first. My Debit Card had the money in my account to cover the transfer. So why do I have to get my UK banks permission to do the transfer? 

What really gets up my nose is the fact to get their permission I have to do it by phone, 6 hours time difference, and wait a ridiculous time in a queue to get that permission. Why can't I do it by a 'secure message'?

It's to avoid theft. Maybe a £500 limit. Just call using Skype no big deal or transfer not using card

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Can you do on line transfers? That would not involve your debit card at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I use to use SWIFT but I thought that was extremely expensive. 

An online transfer using Smile will be free, you transfer £ to Wise and they send the THB to your account, no need to use a card. Wise fee is about £6 per £1,000 transferred

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

As Bangkok Bank is one of Wise's partner banks, I you'll have no problem sending them 9,000 GBP. But I do not understand why you're obsessing about using your debit card.

As Smile is an on line bank, you should be able to make a direct bank to bank transfer into Wise's account or into a Wise Borderless account (Now called a Multi Currency Account I believe) if you have one. That's how most of us do and it's easy, really really easy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

As Smile is an on line bank, you should be able to make a direct bank to bank transfer into Wise's account

I agree but they don't allow it. I have to phone them first. Smile Bank refuse payment if I do not notify them first.

• Confused 1

I regularly use my HSBC debit card to transfer to my SCB account via Wise.   Very simple, and just log on to my HSBC phone app to confirm the transfer.   The advantage of Wise is of course their better rates than bank to bank transfers.   As an example as I write this, SCB rate for incoming sterling transfer is 42.96375, whereas Wise is 43.3101, a difference of in excess of 3,000 baht for 9000 pounds, as well as probably lower transfer fees.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They don't trust you with your own money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

So phone them 

What and wait in a queue for god knows how long paying international rates when they won't allow an online secure message to be used which costs zilch.

To cut it short I may try using their phone app. Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1