Renting: No-fault evictions would be banned in England under proposal

onthedarkside

Screenshot_3.jpg.6bee5e626bdc1fac6fde9ae94ddc0709.jpg

Landlords are to be prevented from evicting tenants in England without giving a reason, under proposals published in a government White Paper.

The Renters Reform Bill will also end blanket bans on benefit claimants or families with children - and landlords must consider requests to allow pets.

Housing charity Shelter called it a "game-changer".

But landlords associations said the government must ensure the changes would not worsen the housing crisis.

(more)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61817249

BBC.jpg.jpg.09b4af78470693cfe67947c22937e4c2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

But landlords associations said the government must ensure the changes would not worsen the housing crisis.

I do think that putting landlords in the highest tax bracket and making rental properties have an EPC C rating began the rental housing crisis 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do think that putting landlords in the highest tax bracket and making rental properties have an EPC C rating began the rental housing crisis 

Really?

OK, I’ll bite…

Do you have a link to a credible source backing up that theory?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Remind me if I’m remembering the sequence here, all that came after selling off council houses, and cutting spending on building replacements.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Remind me if I’m remembering the sequence here, all that came after selling off council houses, and cutting spending on building replacements.

Yes people who spend their life in a Council house, end up paying (in rent) about three times what it would cost to buy the property .

For example : Property costs $ 1000 to buy , Council tenants pay $ 3000 rent over the course of their life and end up dead with no assets .

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes people who spend their life in a Council house, end up paying (in rent) about three times what it would cost to buy the property .

For example : Property costs $ 1000 to buy , Council tenants pay $ 3000 rent over the course of their life and end up dead with no assets .

The same can be said of people who spend there life living in private rented accommodation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Or so you claim.

I put the rent up on my UK property by 8% this year (1st time in the 4 years that the Tenants have lived there & to the asking price at the time they moved in) purely because of the additional landlord costs (>20% increase in insurance costs & a couple of new safety checks all of which are paid for by me).

I was secretly hoping the tenants would say No & would have sold the property as it currently yields approx. 3% (excluding capital gains) on the equity I have in it so not a great investment (never was meant to be, I bought it as a home & always thought I would go back there to live but even if I did go back, the house is too big for me now I've got used to condo living). 

I had planned on leaving the rent at the new rate for at least the next 3-4 years but will need to review this latest bill to decide if I even want to continue to be a landlord. 

As a private landlord what I would say is that If they keep making things harder & more expensive for us little guys then you're going to see a lot of the big guys moving in (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/19/lloyds-plans-big-move-into-uk-rental-market-with-50000-homes) & if this is the kind of landlord you want then good luck to you,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I "Forced" my parents to buy their council house (after 28 years of paying rent in various ones) by threatening to buy it out from under them if they didn't do so (My mum actually believed I could do this because I have the same name as my dad ???? so they got a mortgage from the council that was less than what they were paying in rent & a few years later owned it outright... They cursed me at times when the council came round to update windows/roofs etc... & they had to pay for theirs but on the whole I think they're happy that I gave them the kick up the backside to do what they needed to do (not sure they could afford the rent on a house like that nowadays on their pensions). 

Nowadays, I don't think many people living in council housing could get anywhere near to being able to to buy their property ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Everyone I knew in council houses paid no rent.

It was all paid by housing benefit, especially after they retired.

And when I'm dead, I don't care if I have any assets.

Also if I'd rented, my wife wouldn't have been given my house when she divorced me.

And I'd have been rehoused at the councils expense.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Did you ever doubt that Tory policy is to push wealth and capital up the ‘food chain’?

There are £Trillions in plain view lining the streets of the UK currently in the possession of ordinary working people, don’t expect that to be allowed to continue.

Home ownership is already out of reach for millions and that number is growing. The logical trajectory is for homes to wind up in the possession financial institutions and businesses.

Just like it was around 100 years ago coincidentally although then it was very wealthy connected people also as it is still today to a degree along of course with business and financial institutions that you mentioned.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Home ownership is already out of reach for millions and that number is growing. The logical trajectory is for homes to wind up in the possession financial institutions and businesses.

Sadly (for the average working class Brit), i fear your right but I feel that this policy will only speed  up the transfer from Private to Corporate landlord. 

I agree that something needs to be done about greedy  landlords evicting people  so they can charge the next tenant more rent but  this is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Sadly (for the average working class Brit), i fear your right but I feel that this policy will only speed  up the transfer from Private to Corporate landlord. 

I agree that something needs to be done about greedy  landlords evicting people  so they can charge the next tenant more rent but  this is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Anything to stop me putting the rent up so much she leaves?

Why shouldn't landlords do what they want with their property?

She can go stay in a council house if she wants to be treated like a baby 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am currently in the UK and looking to buy a 1 bedroom apartment as my base here. About 40% of the places I've looked at recently are properties advertised by landlords (with tenants) looking to exit the rental market. Wonder why?

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

This is the reality. Government making it more difficult for private landlords on the basis of corporate landlords (hedge funds and banks, insurers and pensions) sweeping up property for investment. NWO!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 2009 said:

It’s attitudes like this that make this change in the law necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
3 hours ago, 2009 said:

It’s attitudes like this that make this change in the law necessary.

@2009 A bit harsh about the "council house" but yes, property owner should be able to set parameters such as rent amount, usage and who they rent to.

@Chomper Higgot Change in the law will result in many fewer rentals available. Thus higher rents for renters. Great result do you think? So much for change in law. Back to pre 1988 and the Shorthold Assured tenancy act. More empty properties. But then I guess you'll want a change in law to deal with that too...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:04 PM, onthedarkside said:

Surely it's not a "housing crises" but a people crises? Why is there shortage of houses? Is it because there's too many people needing houses?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

@2009 A bit harsh about the "council house" but yes, property owner should be able to set parameters such as rent amount, usage and who they rent to.

@Chomper Higgot Change in the law will result in many fewer rentals available. Thus higher rents for renters. Great result do you think? So much for change in law. Back to pre 1988 and the Shorthold Assured tenancy act. More empty properties. But then I guess you'll want a change in law to deal with that too...

These proposals would not be made if there was not widespread abuse by landlords.

If you decide to invest in a business in which your ‘get out clauses’ dump problems on the State then don’t r surprised when the Government respond to widespread abuse by other investors with increased regulation.

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

These proposals would not be made if there was not widespread abuse by landlords.

If you decide to invest in a business in which your ‘get out clauses’ dump problems on the State then don’t r surprised when the Government respond to widespread abuse by other investors with increased regulation.

Easy to beat up on private landlords. As in the USA where banks and commercial investors are buying up swathes of property for rental investment they surely will have vetting, terms and conditions attached for tenants. Can't pass a credit check? Sorry you don't qualify. Denied! This then dumps ever more problems and liabilities on the state to pay or provide lower quality alternatives such as B&B. Already happening here in the UK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Surely it's not a "housing crises" but a people crises? Why is there shortage of houses? Is it because there's too many people needing houses?

It's the restrictions in planning permission causing the housing shortages. If you could build anywhere, there would be plenty of housing and prices would fall.