Boris Johnson's future in peril as Conservative Party hit with double election losses

onthedarkside

Just now, placeholder said:

You mean how the voters booted him and his fellow tories from office after the war?

No,

Winston was the man, at the time, to do the job, WW2, we all know that, then politics moved on.

Boris was the man to do the job, at the time, Brexit, we all know that, politics moves on...????

But hopefully it will be a government regroup, and not a takeover by the fruitcakes on the opposite bench....????

PS. Have you read what Dianne Abbott said about Boris......?

A typical lefty nutter comment.....????

17 minutes ago, transam said:

No,

Winston was the man, at the time, to do the job, WW2, we all know that, then politics moved on.

Boris was the man to do the job, at the time, Brexit, we all know that, politics moves on...????

But hopefully it will be a government regroup, and not a takeover by the fruitcakes on the opposite bench....????

PS. Have you read what Dianne Abbott said about Boris......?

A typical lefty nutter comment.....????

The difference is that under Churchill WW2 was also a disaster for the British economy that couldn't be helped

Brexit under Boris is on ongoing disaster that could be..

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

The difference is that under Churchill WW2 was also a disaster for the British economy that couldn't be helped

I beg to differ, WW2 took 6 years, then another 6+ years of rationing, then a zillion years of paying back the USA.

Brexit, which is what the "UK VOTED FOR", happened via Boris taking over from Cameron and May, doing what the UK populace voted for, plus Brexit is still in its early day's...????

PS. Now if you want to blame someone for Brexit, perhaps think again, Boris didn't start it, now did he.....????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's Covid that destroyed the economy, not Brexit.

You might have noticed that pretty much every country has experienced massive economic turmoil since 2020. Maybe Brexit was responsible for the problems in Thailand's economy as well? ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You might have noticed that pretty much every country has experienced massive economic turmoil since 2020. Maybe Brexit was responsible for the problems in Thailand's economy as well? ????

Covid transformed the GBP into the GBPeso on referendum night, did it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The UK is doing worse than the EU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do try and keep on topic ,  that was six years ago .

A weak Pound is good for the U.K economy

No it isn't. And do try to keep on topic. This thread is not about the UK economy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baboon said:

No it isn't. And do try to keep on topic. This thread is not about the UK economy. 

If was replying to your off topic comment about the low value Pound and I just stated how good that is for UK exports and tourists visiting the UK .

Low Pound = more exports and more tourists 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baboon said:

Covid transformed the GBP into the GBPeso on referendum night, did it?

You think the strength of a nation's currency is synonymous with the strength of it's economy? ????

Let me guess, you're annoyed because your pension doesn't go as far these days? 

41 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I said nothing about whether Brexit was a good idea or not . I wrote "Brexit under Boris is an ongoing disaster" If you think Boris was the man to do the job, then you have very low standards for what it takes to do a job properly.

Yeh, riiiiight.....................????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If was replying to your off topic comment about the low value Pound and I just stated how good that is for UK exports and tourists visiting the UK .

Still off topic, then. I'm not playing that game. The thread is about Johnson's future not the UK economy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You think the strength of a nation's currency is synonymous with the strength of it's economy? ????

Let me guess, you're annoyed because your pension doesn't go as far these days? 

Pension? What pension? 

Another wrong guess from your good self.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Pension? What pension? 

Another wrong guess from your good self.

Never mind, the strong Baht and weak Pound has been great for some of us. I guess there always has to be a winner and a loser.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Never mind, the strong Baht and weak Pound has been great for some of us. I guess there always has to be a winner and a loser.

Britain under the Tories is certainly that loser. No wonder you want them to stay and continue to trash the UK.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

Britain under the Tories is certainly that loser. No wonder you want them to stay and continue to trash the UK.

The Tories have done OK. Not as well as I would have liked, but not terrible (unless your focus is on a drinks party at number 10) in the torrid circumstances.

Infinitely better than the opposition would have done, with their People's vote, Woke ideologies and economic illiteracy. I still haven't forgotten the war crimes committed by Blair last time around, creating decades of instability in the Middle East on the basis of lies about WMD. An illegal war in the middle east or a drinks party? Hmmm, tough choice.

• Like 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

The Tories have done OK. Not as well as I would have liked, but not terrible (unless your focus is on a drinks party at number 10) in the torrid circumstances.

Infinitely better than the opposition would have done, with their People's vote, Woke ideologies and economic illiteracy. I still haven't forgotten the war crimes committed by Blair last time around, creating decades of instability in the Middle East on the basis of lies about WMD. An illegal war in the middle east or a drinks party? Hmmm, tough choice.

The Tories have done terribly. But then you are pleased because the GBPeso is in the toilet in comparison to the Baht. You said as much yourself. 

How many Tories voted for the Iraq war? How many voted against? Oh yes, 146 - 2. Johnson voted for it, funnily enough...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, baboon said:

The Tories have done terribly. But then you are pleased because the GBPeso is in the toilet in comparison to the Baht. You said as much yourself. 

How many Tories voted for the Iraq war? How many voted against? Oh yes, 146 - 2. Johnson voted for it, funnily enough...

Actually I didn't say I was pleased had weakened. What I said was that it had been great for some of us. People like me who earn in Baht and send home to invest in UK property, UK exporters, people involved in tourism etc.

Unfortunately the Tories believed Blair about his WMD lies. I also believed him in '97 and voted for him. The war criminal fooled a few of us, but never again will I believe the lies of a labour politician. Given their (lack of) success at the polls, I am not the only one.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So the lower the pound goes, the better the news is?  You hoping the that pound achieves parity with the dollar? This reminds of a character in Catch-22 who usually sported a miserable look on his face because of the tension of waiting for the inevitable bad news.. The only time he smiled was when the bad news came and he was slated again for another dangerous bombing run.  No more tension. We also have cryptocurrency enthusiasts who are cheering the sharp decline of bitcoin, ethereum, etc because it means that they can buy coins more cheaply..

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Actually I didn't say I was pleased had weakened. What I said was that it had been great for some of us. People like me who earn in Baht and send home to invest in UK property, UK exporters, people involved in tourism etc.

Unfortunately the Tories believed Blair about his WMD lies. I also believed him in '97 and voted for him. The war criminal fooled a few of us, but never again will I believe the lies of a labour politician. Given their (lack of) success at the polls, I am not the only one.

"Actually I didn't say I was pleased had weakened. What I said was that it had been great for some of us."

There's a distinction without a difference if ever I read one. You wrote what you wrote and the reader will decide for his or herself. And all just to try and get one up on me.

"Unfortunately the Tories believed Blair about his WMD lies."

Always somebody else's fault. Always. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

"Actually I didn't say I was pleased had weakened. What I said was that it had been great for some of us."

There's a distinction without a difference if ever I read one. You wrote what you wrote and the reader will decide for his or herself. And all just to try and get one up on me.

"Unfortunately the Tories believed Blair about his WMD lies."

Always somebody else's fault. Always. 

I was just correcting your misquote, I wasn't expecting you to like it.

So you're saying it was the Tories fault that Blair lied to Parliament about WMD and took us into an illegal war alongside the Republican Bush, causing tens of thousands of deaths and decades of instability in the Middle East? ???? 

Whilst simultaneously accusing me of shifting the blame? ???? 

Quite the stretch :clap2:

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I was just correcting your misquote, I wasn't expecting you to like it.

So you're saying it was the Tories fault that Blair lied to Parliament about WMD and took us into an illegal war alongside the Republican Bush, causing tens of thousands of deaths and decades of instability in the Middle East? ???? 

Whilst simultaneously accusing me of shifting the blame? ???? 

Quite the stretch :clap2:

"So you're saying it was the Tories fault that Blair lied to Parliament about WMD and took us into an illegal war alongside the Republican Bush, causing tens of thousands of deaths and decades of instability in the Middle East?"

Where did I say that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

So the lower the pound goes, the better the news is?  You hoping the that pound achieves parity with the dollar? This reminds of a character in Catch-22 who usually sported a miserable look on his face because of the tension of waiting for the inevitable bad news.. The only time he smiled was when the bad news came and he was slated again for another dangerous bombing run.  No more tension. We also have cryptocurrency enthusiasts who are cheering the sharp decline of bitcoin, ethereum, etc because it means that they can buy coins more cheaply..

You are making the suggestion that I want a cheap Pound solely for my own self interests .

Apart from the fact I didnt even say that I want a cheap Pound , just stated that the cheap Pound isn't such a bad thing for the U.K economy  . 

The value of the Pound makes no different to me at all , and I suspect that the only reason why the cheap Pound annoys you is because you get less Baht  in exchange for your Pounds

I am not cheering the cheap pound , nor am I hoping that it goes lower , but you are the one who is only thinking about your own self interests in wanting a high value Baht .

Those Baht that the bank cashier hands over to you are the only thing that matters 

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are making the suggestion that I want a cheap Pound solely for my own self interests .

Apart from the fact I didnt even say that I want a cheap Pound , just stated that the cheap Pound isn't such a bad thing for the U.K economy  . 

The value of the Pound makes no different to me at all , and I suspect that the only reason why the cheap Pound annoys you is because you get less Baht  in exchange for your Pounds

I am not cheering the cheap pound , nor am I hoping that it goes lower , but you are the one who is only thinking about your own self interests in wanting a high value Baht .

Those Baht that the bank cashier hands over to you are the only thing that matters 

What I was pointing out that it's simplistic to say that a cheap pound is a good thing. It would be a better thing if it weren't so cheap because that would indicate that the economy is healthier. I don't care about your personal financial situation and the value of the pound is irrelevant to mine.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What I was pointing out that it's simplistic to say that a cheap pound is a good thing. It would be a better thing if it weren't so cheap because that would indicate that the economy is healthier. I don't care about your personal financial situation and the value of the pound is irrelevant to mine.

Well yes , you could do a four year University course studying the impact of currency valuation as its a complex matter .

I was jut pointing out (yes, quite simplistically) that a strong currency isn't necessarily beneficial to the economy and a weakened currency does have its benefits .

"The Pound in your pocket is still worth a Pound "