Is is only this Generation?

I have a nephew in his early 20's currently travelling Asia and I was chatting to him in this WhatsApp telling I got breakfast in Pattaya for 99 baht etc.

He asked for pics of the breakfast?

Now I see his Instagram he has pics and videos  of everything in regards his holiday and posts on this Facebook Instagram etc.

Now I must be old because it doesn't occur to me to take pics of my meals, my transport, my daily life in holiday,ok I might take pics of a tourist thing but I don't pics like these younger generation of everything , meals out, selfies of standing on a rock ledge or whatever, it's weird ?

He even has videos on Facebook and his friends all same age group travel on a bus in Phuket etc,

Now I have to ask,am I too old and think this is immature?,or do you are your age take selfies, do you picture your restaurant cafe meals, do you take pics of your transport etc ?

Ok I know these young people probably do this because they post on this Facebook 

Now strange thing is , himself and his friends teenage s 18/19 start doing tik tok dancing in front of girlie bars in Phuket and no one said anything in fact the girls joined in,years ago they would of got told to leave in no uncertain terms !!!! But now it seems normal to this young generation who must video everything 

Its crazy because I think it's our gen (over 50) who are scared of cameras in places like Phuket Pattaya , I remember once about 10 years go talking on a video phone in touch m and farang my age was sitting at the back of me complain he could be seen.

Nowadays many would tell him he is not caught up with life 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Been going on since Facebook started in 2000s...

24/7 inane sharing...more so with instagram....g/f has garbage streams on her phone whenever I glance.

Never joined any of them....you generate your own targeted ads to take all your money away.

• Like 1

Been going on a lot earlier than that.  

Remember (or dread) watching those old home movies on the projector, or slides.  Before internet ... postcards.

Then came the camcorder, viewable on your TV.

Downhill ever since ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

Too much information out there, most of it garbage, hear-say and posted by posted by wannabes and posers that want to put themselves out there, this is NOT to say that there isn't good information out there but pity you have sift through to find out what is worth knowing and what's not..

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been going on a lot earlier than that.  

Remember (or dread) watching those old home movies on the projector, or slides.  Before internet ... postcards.

Then came the camcorder, viewable on your TV.

Downhill ever since ... ????

Them were the days, no?

be3mv2.jpg.f2a8937d534687af8e3093cedf5a61bc.jpg

be3mv3.jpg.100a035a33ce876f668564c4d1977253.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now I must be old because it doesn't occur to me to take pics of my meals, my transport, my daily life in holiday,ok I might take pics of a tourist thing but I don't pics like these younger generation of everything , meals out, selfies of standing on a rock ledge or whatever, it's weird ?

That did used to happed frequently on facebook about 10-15 years ago , just a trip to the local shop and they would post about 20 photos of every aspect and post photos of everything they ate .

No one seems to do that anymore , when they realised that no ones really bothered about what they had for lunch 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Oh dear, oh dear. My pet hate! You go out as a group for a meal, order your meal and then chat away until it the food arrives and then it starts.

Out come the phones, everyone jostles around to get a good 'shot' of the food, then we're called upon to jostle around to get good group shots. Then there's the inevitable selfies with each over. I HATE IT!

I've become decidedly uncooperative with this palaver and refuse even to look at the camera and smile. Smiling implies happiness. And I'm not!

Same here, then mrs gets moody as I am spoiling her 'fun'. After the pic taking you get them gawping at the phone while they are eating. Mrs niece came round once and had both the phone and her laptop on the table looking at both while eating, just rude but so many of them are totally addicted now, 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That did used to happed frequently on facebook about 10-15 years ago , just a trip to the local shop and they would post about 20 photos of every aspect and post photos of everything they ate .

No one seems to do that anymore , when they realised that no ones really bothered about what they had for lunch 

They stick it on Line now instead!

• Like 1

This thread is a dog-whistle for the boomers !!!!  ????

Things have moved on from sending a postcard.... the world is different.

Does the behaviour seems moronic ??.... Absolutely...  

......Yet, I found myself doing it (or agreeing to it).

Wife and I went to a Michelin star restaurant in the UK...  excellent food, of-course, my mother wanted all the details !!... My Wife obliged with some photo’s which of-course made Mother happy !!!. 

But... 20 photos of the same meal on FB or Instagram - thats taking it too far... 

Then there is the ‘must stop for a photo’ every 5 mins whenever on holiday.... I want to just enjoy the holiday. 

I remember our latest ski trip (pre-covid) a couple of years ago.. the wait was horrible.. finally, the trip came around...and we’d got to the top of the mountain and I was ready get into it,.... but no.. the Wife wanted to stop and take a photo !!!...  I was stroppy.... “Can we just Ski?...I came here to ski not take photo’s !!!”.....  Of course, without my Wife I wouldn’t have photo memories of most of the stuff we have done.... So I’m glad she takes loads of photo’s...  but sometimes it feels like the photo is more important than the event itself. 

Back to the taking loads of photos of food, that just gets really daft unless its an exceptionally special meal...  who care’s what your boat noodles for lunch look like ??... :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

I actually find it very concerning indeed & it's happening to younger & younger children as well.

The modern phones & apps have filters that will whiten your eyes & teeth, clean up your skin, give you a glowing tan & put a shine to your hair.

This narcissistic behaviour is being compounded because whole generations are doing it so it is normalised behaviour but it's not healthy.

They are becoming more & more insecure with judgements made on people's character according to how they look.

It's doing long term damage to young minds who are only learning to emote.

• Like 1

The thing I don't get is the need to take a picture in front of the same mural or store as everyone else. It's a throw back to my parents standing stiffly in front of Big Ben. And ultra-fluffy pancakes -is there a saturation point?

And now places like Panang are deliberately covered with not really-spontaneous Banksy-esque street art, all of which looks the same from town to town.

In my town, a restaurant has painted a giant set of angle wings which people might pose between and post pics of it for a little free advertising.

But no one's biting. Angle wings-posing are another social media cliche. Some catch on, most do not. The youth are fickle.

18 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Only half...this is too optimistic.

In 20 years 99% will be digital morons. The future looks so bright that I bought 100 pairs of dark sunglasses. Otherwise I could not stand the bright future, I am afraid.