Dozens of foreigners in Phuket allegedly defrauded by visa agency, police investigating

webfact

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I too have no sympathy for those who can't afford to have 800k in the bank and use these types of agents

Why do people think it's Ok to break the law so they can selfishly stay in somebody else's country.

It's no different from someone making a sham marriage or submitted false qualifications so they can stay in Europe or the US.

It hardly surprising this agent ran of with the money. Firstly because he is from Pattaya, and secondly because he is a criminal by the nature of his business.  

For those who were genuine I am sure they will get cut a break. 

But when they catch the agent he is likely to spill the beans for a lesser punishment so anyone involved in dodgy dealings may find there is no rock to crawl under this time. The feds will be coming for you.

18 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning 

what I don’t understand is when Visa and Immigration Laws changed I believe between  2018-2019 , These Visa Services would be illegal and not in accordance with Thai Immigration Law.

Most of these agency use

bogus/ fraudulent bank accounts and those are the services I’m referring to, Showing that foreigners have the Financial required amounts in there possession for the financial requirements under Thai Immigration Law , But most do not !! It seems a double standard to me.

The other thing is I’ve herd and seen Visa Services charging between

12,000-20,000 Baht for one annual visa to be processed, Absolutely highway robbery in my opinion, Especially when I can meet the financial requirements and pay 1900 Baht annually with the fee Visa Services charge I could do between 7-9 Years of Visa renewals at that cost, CRAZY !! 
If they were shafted/Ripped Off using that type of service I mentioned above,  I don’t feel sorry for them one bit.

There stupidity buying into this double standard and shadiness is on them !! ???? 

exactly what i wrote mate .. illegal agents being asked to do illegal work by the foreigners..same same got a dozen mates all on illegal visas from these people  

On 6/29/2022 at 3:43 AM, webfact said:

Phuket – Multiple news outlets have reported an estimated 100 foreigners in Phuket have allegedly been defrauded by a visa agency.

Hub of scammers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I too have no sympathy for those who can't afford to have 800k in the bank and use these types of agents,

There are those that through no real fault of their own have lost their money by one way or another, normally Thai gf or wife stealing, or died, and the severely disabled who need help from agents. Those I have sympathy for, but the rest well ................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Because IF you get it wrong you can be taken to court for defamation and IF you get it right the same applies.

Did you see my link?
It proves your post incorrect.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Did you see my link?
It proves your post incorrect.

It proves very little at all. Did you not read the long thread about a guy who wrote a bit on Trip Advisor slamming a hotel/guest house that sued for defamation even though what he claimed was correct, and he wasn't even in  Thailand at the time.

• Like 1

I would never give my passport to a shop that looked like that. That storefront looks sketchy. Can't you goto a place that looks legit or like it will be around tomorrow? How dumb can you be? Use your brain and exercise some discretion, you are in a foreign country with scams and other nonsense, so think about things before just paying or giving over sensitive documents or divulging all your secrets to anyone who asks ????‍♂️.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:47 PM, billd766 said:

It proves very little at all. Did you not read the long thread about a guy who wrote a bit on Trip Advisor slamming a hotel/guest house that sued for defamation even though what he claimed was correct, and he wasn't even in  Thailand at the time.

You said "With the current defamation laws in place, did you really expect the agency to be  named?".

You were wrong, the agency was named, see my link.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, 4MyEgo said:

You do realise that you are not in your home country don't you, that said, what do you think the requirements would be for someone to stay in your country would be, I would suggest a lot stricter than here, i.e. if they even have such an extension where one has to put money in the bank to stay in your country, more like they would be sent on their merry way when the visa they have expires.

Fact of the matter is, it is in the bank, it's your money, you can withdraw it at anytime (provisions apply) of course, no one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do. That said, if you haven't got the cash, then perhaps you shouldn't be here, their rules, their country.

Do you cry over everything that doesn't suit you, you are welcome to leave at anytime. As the Thai's say, "up to you". There is your frigging clue. End of story Krup.

Such a gòod little boy  55 and self righteous oh my.  Yet making zero sense and without a clue too.

9 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Such a gòod little boy  55 and self righteous oh my.  Yet making zero sense and without a clue too.

Do you feel better now ?

Fact of the matter is I'm right and you know it, otherwise why would you even bother, oh by the way, good luck with agents in the future, who knows, you might be back home sooner than you think, hopefully ????

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to know how many people had all the legal requirements and just wanted to have somebody who helped them to get it done and how many had i.e. no money in the bank, etc.

If all legal requirement were fulfilled then I am sure everything will be sorted out.

In the other cases - maybe not so much, or only after paying a big "fine".

I think I read the whole article at an earlier point, and what the immigration chap said had a real "we'll help you out" sound to it.  It is a service offered by immigration after all.  No doubt the bribes go up the chain since it has been going on so openly and for so long.

It certainly hasn't been a reaction of "You did what?!!  That's illegal!  Off to the detention centre with you!".

If people lose faith in agents in Pattaya, how much of a dent would the tea money income take?

Quite interesting really.

Edited by BangkokReady