How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

37 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I have 3 words for you........Balloons and water and pigs...

Traditional Thai Style Pig Roast On Stock Footage Video (100% Royalty-free)  15902350 | Shutterstock

Aura Natural Mineral Water | The Central Islamic Council of ThailandScooters Bar Pattaya - Inspire Pattaya e-Magazine Events

Like it.

I remember some years ago my wife and I went for a meal in Sailor Bar, I ordered a European meal and my wife something Thai. I had finished mine before my wife's had shown up so I walked up to the counter, called the boss over and cancelled my wife's order. I put the money down for mine and walked away, followed by a string of obscenities.

We walked round the corner into Soi 7 and spotted the balloons, my wife had a better meal there than she would have got in Sailor Bar for free, would have bought a beer somewhere.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Build a mini farm off grid with home gym, become semi vegetarian where you eat only vegetables, fruit, fish, egg, and sheep from farm, and stop drinking?

Please stop spying on me, thank you!

• Haha 1

I don’t get out much but it was interesting to read that some retirees do count satang.  It’s cheaper to live here and I guess that attracts many farang…but maybe more of those who have less come here.

• Like 1

I found having the McDonald's App was very good to save a few baht. Not promoting to use McD a lot but if you do go I found they often had 2 for 1 or up to 50% off (only available from the App)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SymS said:

There's no fee on ATM cards withdrawals if used within the same province.
But now we can't do completely without ATM cards (saving on the small annual fee) using the cardless ATM function in the bank app.

Don't have ATM on my Thai bank account.  Something wrong with paying to access my own money, especially when I'm saving them money by having, along with them earning profits from that same money.

I just pop in every couple months, when no Q and withdraw most of it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Seriously, Russia was not a threat to anyone until the USA kept pushing closer and closer to their borders with weapons, someone mentioned it was adjoining countries joining NATO or something like that. 

The above said, I wonder how the USA would respond if Russia started moving its weapons to neighbouring countries almost on the USA's borders ?

I would imagine all it would take to stop this war is for the USA to back off, but that isn't going to happen just yet as there is a lot of money being made around the world while the masses start to suffer, not to mention the Ukraine's, and for what, security from Russia invading them, well, I didn't see Russia invade them before the USA kept inching closer and closer.

Not being one to get into politics, but it's pretty plain to see how this all unfolded with lots of warnings from the Russians that they would go in if they didn't back off, so provoke the sleeping giant and make money once again.

They did, in the Cuba missile crisis of 1962. Probably the closest the world came to nuclear war. The Russians backed down, in the end.
Don't forget Russia had already annexed Crimea a few years ago.

Edited by MrMuddle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

They did, in the Cuba missile crisis of 1962. Probably the closest the world came to nuclear war. The Russians backed down, in the end.

Different times, I was only 2 back then.

11 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Don't forget Russia had already annexed Crimea a few years ago.

And the reason for that was ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Stop buying deodorant like the middle-aged Russian guys. :w00t:

Why, when you can make your own for pennies.

Could mention here saving a ton on shaving expense by changing to an old-fashioned double edge razor and blades. 'Course, shrewd AN posters will point out that one can stop shaving or getting haircuts anyway. Hee. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Different times, I was only 2 back then.

And the reason for that was ?

Greed ? Perhaps you should post your political views in another section of the forum, getting way off topic here.  ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Browsed through the thread and have I overlooked some keywords?

Smoking, drinking, bars and all kinds of "entertainment"?

Think about stopping or reducing.

Seen so many guys wasting a significant part of their money for such.

I had the same idea: save money - no lao, no beer and no mia noi!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Live well die young ... buck it!

But seeing so much misery and questing after (cheapest) docs, meds, and hospitals in the Health forum. So much pretense of living well with illness on all those meds and associated costs. Talk's cheap, eh.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exactly. Think about the vast amount they waste on health-related costs owing to lack of a healthy diet and exercise--the elephant in the room.???? 

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Farang said:

No, the US backed down and agreed to remove their weapons from Turkey. Then Russia responded in kind by removing theirs from Cuba.

But back on topic.

Use Tea bags multiple times.

Wear only shorts and no tops outside. When at home walk around naked to save on laundry.

Grow vegetables on the balcony or back garden and keep a pig. Take a slice of meat off the pigs back every day, this will eventually heal so you have an everlasting pig. Grow a beard to save on blades. Swim in the sea or complex pool to avoid paying for showers.

Walk everywhere or get an old bicycle

I'll take your word for it - I was only a boy!

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If you have to ask yourself now, how to save money in your retirement years, I think it's a bit too late, and you've lost already.

Has anything changed in the last 50-70 years, and the simple concept of prioritize and spend wisely.  If you didn't learn that already, you may have some problems no matter where you live.

Can't believe anyone needs to count satang, that's here on a marriage or retirement visa.

40 or 65k a month is more than enough for any 1 person or family to live on, comfortably.

40 or 65k a month is more than enough for any 1 person or family to live on, comfortably.

.....not IF YOU Like Myself is on a VERY REDUCED State Pension......I WISH I Got 40k A Month,But I DON'T !!

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If you have to ask yourself now, how to save money in your retirement years, I think it's a bit too late, and you've lost already.

Has anything changed in the last 50-70 years, and the simple concept of prioritize and spend wisely.  If you didn't learn that already, you may have some problems no matter where you live.

Can't believe anyone needs to count satang, that's here on a marriage or retirement visa.

Not if you live in Bangkok, have kids going to a proper school and like nice food and drinks.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I Don't drink ( Diabetes ) I Don't go to places of Entertainment,But I DO Smoke ( My ONLY Pleasure ) & Have done for 60 Years so Trying to STOP Is Nigh on Impossible or Very DIFFICULT to say the least,I Have Cut Down from 20 A Day to round about 10 /12 Daily....It's The Craving & It's A LOT Safer than YaBa !! But I'm on a Very Reduced State Pension & The WELL Over Valued Thai Baht Certainly Doesn't HELP !!