Covid is back in Pattaya

On 7/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, Mentors65 said:

I had last week "flu symptoms" for 3 days, other people also.

Tested ATK negative

exactly flu symptoms ..we wouldn't panic if they said Flu  but mention covid and the world's coming to an end...its about time we sucked it up and grew some ..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

exactly flu symptoms ..we wouldn't panic if they said Flu  but mention covid and the world's coming to an end...its about time we sucked it up and grew some ..

Covid and the flu cannot co-exist, Covid is vastly more infectious.

Since Covid is mild, we are seeing lots of people with minor flu like symptoms. Cheap ATK tests cannot detect Omicron reliably.

The uneducated might question why anyone worries about Covid now, but the greater the number of infecteds, the more resulting mutations. 

• Sad 1

[quote]

[/quote]

I'm a scientist, including study/teaching of pathogens.  Please explain why Covid and flu cannot co-exist.  They are different viruses. An organism can be infected with different viruses at the same time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

[/quote]

I'm a scientist, including study/teaching of pathogens.  Please explain why Covid and flu cannot co-exist.  They are different viruses. An organism can be infected with different viruses at the same time. 

A person can be infected with both. 

But, Covid is so infectious that it drives influenza out. Why? Because so many peopke are infected, or are taking precautions, so the flu can't spread. 

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm in Pattaya. Always wear a mask when close to others etc. Tested positive on 11th July, slight fever, bone aches, slight cough.  Tested strongly positive 2 days ago, but physical symptoms less. Tested negative today (16th July), no physical symptoms now.

2 x AZ shots in Laos 1 year ago, Moderna booster in Turkey at Xmas. Pfizer booster 2 months ago in Pattaya. 25 years with a chronic lung illness, 63 years old, so I'm happy that my vaccinations/boosters minimised the severity of my infection ????

How do you know the vaccines minimised the severity of your infection?   It may well have been just as mild without them.

A couple of people I know did not have any of the vaccines and they contracted COVID...but both had very mild symptoms too.  

Seems the new strains of covid are not as severe as the first ones.

Also, everyone on my close family are fully vaccinated and 8 of them (except my mother) have contracted covid, sometimes twice.   I have not had the vaccines and have never (touch wood) caught COVID...and, while I obey the rules about face masks and temperature checks in shopping malls etc, I am don't constantly sanatize my hands and I don't wear a mask on my motor bike, or when outdoors.  

25 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How do you know the vaccines minimised the severity of your infection?   It may well have been just as mild without them.

A couple of people I know did not have any of the vaccines and they contracted COVID...but both had very mild symptoms too.  

Seems the new strains of covid are not as severe as the first ones.

Also, everyone on my close family are fully vaccinated and 8 of them (except my mother) have contracted covid, sometimes twice.   I have not had the vaccines and have never (touch wood) caught COVID...and, while I obey the rules about face masks and temperature checks in shopping malls etc, I am don't constantly sanatize my hands and I don't wear a mask on my motor bike, or when outdoors.  

It’s pretty obvious that some people are innately immune to Covid, at least to the variants known to date. Unfortunately, the virus is fairly clever, and may evolve into a variant that attacks those innately immune to earlier variants.

• Like 1

There is something going around in Pattaya, a virus that produces symptoms similar to a bad cold. I have had ladies this week with symptoms in close contact with me, but i seem to be immune (so far), whereas I get colds pretty easily. 

There is one other explanation for this respiratory illness that is going around Pattaya, for which i seem immune: a couple of months ago, i came back from Mexico with some sort of chest cold. It developed into a normal cold after a week, the cold went away, but the chest cold continued for a month and continues to decline in severity. 

I may have passed it to a lady in Pattaya, as she showed symptoms a week later.  So, I may be running into ladies suffering from the Mexican chest cold, but I may be immune, since I already have it. 

Just a theory. 

The lady I am with right now started hacking and wheezing yesterday. We came to Phuket, and she fell asleep at 7 pm. At 9 am, I woke her up for breakfast, after which she fell asleep again. Its past 6pm, and she is still asleep, with some more hacking and wheezing. 

If she has a cold, its like none I have ever encountered. 

If she can't make our flight out of here tomorrow, I may have to take her to the hospital. 

Edited by Danderman123

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The lady I am with right now started hacking and wheezing yesterday. We came to Phuket, and she fell asleep at 7 pm. At 9 am, I woke her up for breakfast, after which she fell asleep again. Its past 6pm, and she is still asleep, with some more hacking and wheezing. 

If she has a cold, its like none I have ever encountered. 

If she can't make our flight out of here tomorrow, I may have to take her to the hospital. 

Doesn't sound a hospital is required, just time to get better

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, Danderman123 said:

It’s pretty obvious that some people are innately immune to Covid, at least to the variants known to date. Unfortunately, the virus is fairly clever, and may evolve into a variant that attacks those innately immune to earlier variants.

pretty obvious to me that many of the unvaxxed i know are "immune"  ,  as you call it.   the only ones i know that got it have all taken the "safe and effective"  jabs.

of course,   that is all a very small sample and can not be used to assume anything.

does make me wonder though................

31 minutes ago, rumak said:

pretty obvious to me that many of the unvaxxed i know are "immune"  ,  as you call it.   the only ones i know that got it have all taken the "safe and effective"  jabs.

of course,   that is all a very small sample and can not be used to assume anything.

does make me wonder though................

You don't seem to have a handle on facts. The vast majority of Covid deaths earlier this year were the unvaccinated. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The vast majority of Covid deaths earlier this year were the unvaccinated. 

How would you know this? (If referring to Pattaya)

If you have proof of this assertion please share the details here.

3 minutes ago, g man said:

Because Pattaya covid stats including deaths by vaccination status when available were shared daily, they stopped reporting in April:

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/23/editoral-as-test-and-go-goes-away-its-time-for-our-daily-covid-19-reporting-to-go-as-well/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because Pattaya covid stats including deaths by vaccination status when available were shared daily, they stopped reporting in April:

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/23/editoral-as-test-and-go-goes-away-its-time-for-our-daily-covid-19-reporting-to-go-as-well/

Death by vaccination status was never reported in Thailand or Pattaya.

But, if they did there should be archives you can verify the death by covid vaccination status. Can you or anyone provide a link to data by vaccination status in Pattaya, Thailand, etc please.

5 minutes ago, g man said:

Death by vaccination status was never reported in Thailand or Pattaya.

But, if they did there should be archives you can verify the death by covid vaccination status. Can you or anyone provide a link to data by vaccination status in Pattaya, Thailand, etc please.

I just told you they were in Pattaya when available, why would I do that if they weren't? 

Let me guide you through this, I gave you the link to when they stopped reporting in April right.

So now go to the covid archives here https://thepattayanews.com/category/covid-19-coronavirus/

Scroll down for daily updates before then, here is the one for 12th April 

The three new deaths were aged 79, 97, and 98, with severe personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. Two of them were not vaccinated.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/12/chonburi-announces-791-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-three-new-deaths/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

And what other point: by replying to a question I posed to D123, how would you be privy to his knowledge and thus able to respond accurately and factually?

6 minutes ago, g man said:

And what other point: by replying to a question I posed to D123, how would you be privy to his knowledge and thus able to respond accurately and factually?

Oh no thanks for providing the information you were asking for then.......and you expect me to carry on answering your questions, go away

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Oh no thanks for providing the information you were asking for then.......and you expect me to carry on answering your questions, go away

No, you have no possible rational explanation and I did not ask you. You can more than go away.

Edited by g man
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, g man said:

I am referring to countries with accurate statistics, many of which have been posted here repeatedly.

BKK Brian reminded me of available statistics in Thailand.

At this point, your position should be “thanks for the information “, rather than trolling.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The reason Covid is back is because it has never gone away, and may never, as in achieving endemicity, which is what happens when the average infected person infects fewer than one other person, also referred to as the R value. And that is not the case, especially with vaccinations that do not prevent the spread of covid infection. The omicron variants will be with us and the virus will find new ways to evade our immune response without eliminating existing immune protections.

Since January 2020, in 30.5 months, approximately 50% of covid infections have occurred in the past 7 months in year 2022 despite the massive global vaccine efforts. 

Covid infections are everywhere and by all accounts are not going away despite high mRNA vaccination rates. If you have been jabbed with mRNA, well, your bad luck.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Vaccination reduces the spread of Covid.

Since when? Can you provide something to back up that ludicrous statement? Meanwhile, ponder why covid infections are increasing despite high vaccination rates and why do you wear a mask? You claim they "reduce", perhaps they did with the original wuhan variant long since obsolete and of zero consequence now with highly transmissable omicron and it's sub-variants.

"...what they can’t do anymore is prevent transmission. So if you're going home to somebody who has not been vaccinated, somebody who can't get vaccinated... I would suggest you wear a mask in a public indoor setting," Walensky stated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-director-covid-vaccines-cant-prevent-transmission-anymore/ar-AASDndg

CDC_walensky_transmission.jpg

Edited by g man

4 hours ago, g man said:

Since when? Can you provide something to back up that ludicrous statement? Meanwhile, ponder why covid infections are increasing despite high vaccination rates and why do you wear a mask? You claim they "reduce", perhaps they did with the original wuhan variant long since obsolete and of zero consequence now with highly transmissable omicron and it's sub-variants.

"...what they can’t do anymore is prevent transmission. So if you're going home to somebody who has not been vaccinated, somebody who can't get vaccinated... I would suggest you wear a mask in a public indoor setting," Walensky stated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-director-covid-vaccines-cant-prevent-transmission-anymore/ar-AASDndg

CDC_walensky_transmission.jpg

https://www.covid19infovaccines.com/en-posts/to-what-extent-can-vaccines-prevent-people-from-getting-infected-with-covid-19

Poor wording. 

Vaccination reduces transmission of Covid. However, it's not 100% effective. 

If you disagree, please link to a study showing that vaccination has 0% effectiveness in stopping transmission. 

23 minutes ago, g man said:

Don't need a link to show what everyone knows, or should know and what all the metrics and stats show. Check the slope of the new covid infections, it's rather steep, with new infections despite high vax uptakes. If vaccines reduce transmission, I can't see where. Why are you still wearing a mask and why do we need them if vaccines reduce transmission? Makes little or no sense. If you look at UK-HSA reports (since stopped in Week 8-2022) triple vaccinated were contracting covid at >2X the rate than non- vaccinated.

/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week-8.pdf

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7#Sec3

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7.pdf

coronavirus-data-explorer-41.png

You seem confused. Your chart shows cumulative cases. Note that in the US, where many are vaccinated, the rate of new infections is low.