My process to change my OA retirement that I had at the beginning and then many annual extension on this, to an O-Visa retirement.

13 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

Now today, July 6, I have submitted my application for an O-Visa at the immigration office in Chiang Mai.

Good.

You were able to apply for non O with approx 28 days remaining on your 30 day permit.

Some over look this.

Some offices require 15 days and I think CM require 21. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good.

You were able to apply for non O with approx 28 days remaining on your 30 day permit.

Some over look this.

Some offices require 15 days and I think CM require 21. 

Actually my 30 days was not enough due to many holidays in July. So I was forced to first get an extension of 30 days, and then apply for the O-Visa. But all in the same day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

On the contrary. The original OA was the reason for me to get rid of it. 

Thank you for the information. All things being equal (which they never are) if you have a choice between changing an OA to an O, or marriage visa, which would you choose. Drawbacks/considerations in either compared to the other?

7 minutes ago, Silencer said:

Thank you for the information. All things being equal (which they never are) if you have a choice between changing an OA to an O, or marriage visa, which would you choose. Drawbacks/considerations in either compared to the other?

If anyone originally had a non O-A and was also married why would they just not obtain extensions from the non O-A based on marriage.

In that case insurance is not required.

Simple financials option of 400k in bank for 2 months + under consideration period.

Walk in the park.

Clearly extensions to a non O based on retirement has very simple requirements and paperwork compared to extentions based on marriage.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, interested said:

what was the situation with proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test ?

was there any requirement to enter Laos?

was there any requirement to enter Thailand?

Had to show proof of vaccinations at the Lao border. 

On the thai border, nothing at all. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hakancnx said:

Actually my 30 days was not enough due to many holidays in July. So I was forced to first get an extension of 30 days, and then apply for the O-Visa. But all in the same day. 

when you did your border crossing did they require you to do a new TM6, there have been a few posts that people coming in on planes are not longer required to do them, I think this might cause some problems with immigration unless they no longer require you to have one when doing extensions, the online report does not require one. I will be doing the same as you did in the near future and am just curious about the TM6

not sure why one wants to change OA to O  ??? but note this  (An non immigrant O visa can be issued for many reasons including retirement, marriage, accompanying a retired or working spouse or volunteering. It is also possible to change a tourist visa or visa exempt entry stamp into a non o visa and some immigration offices in Thailand. If you are considering this method in order to retire in Thailand, then please reach out for advice as although the process is possible it is not straightforward and can require expert guidance.

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I think it's very straightforward. 

Exit without reentry permit in order to kill off your non OA reenter visa exempt and obtain a non O.

Walk in the park. 

I think you would only want to exit to kill off your OA, unless I am missing something

9 minutes ago, flexomike said:

I think you would only want to exit to kill off your OA, unless I am missing something

That's correct.

The person I quoted started with this comment....

"not sure why one wants to change OA to O ???" 

The main reason to switch from non O-A to non O based on retirement is to avoid the mandatory insurance.

In order to do that then to exit Thailand having been on extensions to a non O-A without a reentry permit will kill off the non O-A.

Being done very often now. 

Edit: @flexomike

I made error in my post that uj kindly fixed. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That's correct.

The person I quoted started with this comment....

"not sure why one wants to change OA to O ???" 

The main reason to switch from non O-A to non O based on retirement is to avoid the mandatory insurance.

In order to do that then to exit Thailand having been on extensions to a non O-A without a reentry permit will kill off the non O-A.

Being done very often now. 

That is what my plan is after I get back from my US trip in September, tired of paying for the worthless insurance

Just now, flexomike said:

That is what my plan is after I get back from my US trip in September, tired of paying for the worthless insurance

You are not alone.

Without the insurance requirement the non O-A visa was a ripper 

It would be my go to without the insurance, especially for folk that return to home country every couple of years.

It no longer has appeal for many.

• Like 2

The cost of the mandatory OA insurance went up for me this year. Last year..just over 7,000. This year, just over 11,000. Insurance lady said it had to do with my age and some new requirement from Thai Immigration.  

So, next year, July. I want to exit and kill the OA. Come back visa exempt.

Go to Immigration and start the Non O process.

A day or so after I return, I will transfer over 800,000 into a new account. One that I won't use for everyday business.

I know that I have to leave all of that in the account until I have been granted a new extension.

July 2023 to July 2024. If I live that long.

I have asked this question and gotten 3 different answers.

If I keep transferring 65,000 + per month. 800K in July and 65K Aug to July 2024. Can I use those transfers to show Immigration as income from abroad? 

Then I can take the 800K and use as I want. 

28 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

I have asked this question and gotten 3 different answers.

If I keep transferring 65,000 + per month. 800K in July and 65K Aug to July 2024. Can I use those transfers to show Immigration as income from abroad? 

Then I can take the 800K and use as I want

So yes to begin with a non O retirement you would need to use money in the bank method assuming your embassy does not provide income letter.

If you started your 65k transfers at the same time as obtaining your extension and maintained that until your next extension then you could switch to income method showing immigration 12 months of transfers.

After that the 800k is not required in the bank. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flexomike said:

when you did your border crossing did they require you to do a new TM6, there have been a few posts that people coming in on planes are not longer required to do them, I think this might cause some problems with immigration unless they no longer require you to have one when doing extensions, the online report does not require one. I will be doing the same as you did in the near future and am just curious about the TM6

I had to do a TM6. Yes. 

Land border requires this. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2022 at 9:49 PM, hakancnx said:

Yes

Hello, Chiang Mai Immigration didn't required anything about proof of adress ? (If tenant : rental contract / If owner : copy household registration & chanote.

Did they required 800 000 baht in bank two months before your application date, 6th july ?

Thank you

Best regards

Bruno