Chiaravanont clan tops Forbes Thailand’s rich list again this year

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you guessed right.... their losses are small change for them, they still had profit, maybe less profit but still profit, nothing to feel sorry about

Hmmm.

I guess if you drop the vowels, you can turn profit into a four-letter-word..........

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you guessed right.... their losses are small change for them, they still had profit, maybe less profit but still profit, nothing to feel sorry about

I'm sorry, but losing 3.7 billion means they didn't have profit. Losing money is, in fact, the very definition of not having profit! The negatives exceeding the positives!

A post with links to the Bangkok Post has been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Pattaya Mail publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

I'm a fiscal conservative, almost to an extreme degree, but grocery monopolies suck. 

And I never buy anything made by Red Bull.

Indeed this is an unhealthy monopoly,especially in grocery, which would simply not be allowed in developed Western economies. It is the fundamental reason behind (coordinated)unnecessarily high prices and inflation here. Allowing Tesco lotus to be included in their portfolio was unconscionable. Imagine a discounter like Lidl /ALDI being let loose on the market. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Indeed this is an unhealthy monopoly,especially in grocery, which would simply not be allowed in developed Western economies. It is the fundamental reason behind (coordinated)unnecessarily high prices and inflation here. Allowing Tesco lotus to be included in their portfolio was unconscionable. Imagine a discounter like Lidl /ALDI being let loose on the market. 

In Kanchanaburi, I can go to Big C, TMK, Makro, Tops, and one other medium-sized supermarket in a department store whose name I can't remember.

Oh, and I can also go to Lotus's.

That's  six different full-blown supermarket brands I can choose from. If I were in Bangkok, I believe I'd also have Villa and Carrefour to choose from? Is that right?

When I shop at Big C or Makro looking for packaged meats............ which is a big chunk of CP's business............ I find at least five........ and as many as ten....... other brands of hot dogs, sausage, and "ham"....... (as my wife calls anything remotely bologna-like ????)......... besides the "CP" brand.

In Lat Ya, where we actually live, there are an Open Air Markets on Friday mornings, Wednesday late afternoons, and Sunday late afternoons.

At the Fort Surasi Military Camp 3 km away, there is what we call the "temporary camp," where a fixed location, covered Open Air Market sells many of the same "Market" items daily.

At all these Open Air Markets, I also see many "non-CP" brand packaged meat items; ones that are different from the "non-CP" brands sold at Big C and Makro.

------------------

Sorry, but I think about all this.........

............and then I think about what that word "monopoly" means.........

..........and sorry, nah, I just can't see it!

Monopolies are bad because of the way they limit competition. Competition is always good! Does anyone have the impression from what I've described that competition is being limited, in Kanchanaburi?

Anyone?

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

18 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

It happens during ALL times, always, it always has, always will, forever, since time began. Such is the very nature of wealth and power. 

Sri Lanka is starving to death, they owe 51 billion, very serious situation, while Jumping Joe and others have sent much more than that in weapons and Zelensky is asking for another 5 billion per month, these weapons are falling onto the Dark Web 30 K buys you a stinger, much of the rest are being destroyed and captured, but the world has nothing to help them or Bangladesh and other countries that are rapidly descending into dire poverty due to Nato Joe's proxy war, were all suffering now worldwide, if I had 26 billion I might toss a bit of aid to these countries rather than buy another super yacht. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

No they're not...

Not by a long shot but once more the truth is massaged here in LOS

I would imagine it will get harder to massage  each year until implosion

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Kindest thing I can say about that is just a rambling waffle devoid of any salient argument. The fact is that both of only two major supermarket chains,the dominant major convenience store operation (7 -11) AND the only real national wholesaler/cum retailer- Makro are all under sole ownership. By any definition that is about as close to a monopoly as you can get and would certainly not be allowed by say a body like the MMC (U.K. ). 
I suggest educating yourself further on the definition of monopolies as defined by western institutions.

There's not a western country in the world that would consider the supermarket/food distributuon situation in Thailand a "monopoly."

Even the Convenience Store argument at 83% would fall on deaf ears. That's because it didn't happen because 7-11 forced competitors out or bought them up. It happened because CP created it themselves! 

In fact, CP could easily argue that they've created competitive opportunities for others by proving the viability of concept.

In response, CJs and Mini Cs and Jiffys and Lotus Expresses, et al., have had no problem whatsoever opening their own competing stores, often next to or near market proven 7-11 locations.

The only thing that might have been different in a western country........... is the possibility that CP might have been required to sell or liquidate the Lotus Express part of the Tesco Lotus acquisition.

But before the acquisition, Lotus Express seemed to be making significant inroads against this supposed market-controling "monopoly."

In the last few years, even out here in Kanchanaburi Province, quite a few Lotus Express locations appeared, despite there already being an abundance of 7-11 locations. I've seen several new CJs locations pop up, too. 

In a true monopoly situation, this won't happen. The monopolizer will either prevent it from happening........... or quickly squeeze the life out of the unwanted competitor.

That hasn't happened; that isnt happening.

All you really see with CP and 7-11.......... is deep market penetration by the people who effectively created the "Clean and Professional Convenience Store" in the first place! 

But yeah, a western court might have blocked THAT portion of the Tesco Lotus acquisition, because it actually was gobbling up a growing viable competitor. But that would have been just one small piece of a much larger whole.

Meanwhile, in Kanchanaburi, I'd guess that easily 90% of the non-Convenience Store places I could do my shopping............ are not owned by CP!

"Monopoly?" Pffft!