Derek Chauvin gets 21 years in jail for violating George Floyd's civil rights

CharlieH

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I DID watch it. What part did I get wrong?

What you got wrong is that you served up a pile of statistics without any link to verify them. Furthermore, those figures bear no relevance to an article about Chauvin and Floyd.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, candide said:

Right! Why didn't "All lives matter" protest? Why didn't you protest?

BTW, it surely has to do with the fact that the case has been kept hidden for long time. and the Dallas police blocked the release of the bodycam video for 3 years (it was released in 2019 only). In the Floyd case, bystanders made videos with their phones, which were quickly diffused in social media.

Noo...Noo.... you should not use logic and reason.. it makes people look bad. Either they really don't understand and that means lack of critical thinking or they knew and just want to justify something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Everything in your assessment around the Murdering Cop’s actions.

The found him guilty he had no excuses for killing his victim.

I have no problem with him being found guilty.  But he WAS far overmatched. Floyd was a big strong dude- 6 foot 6, something like 240 pounds, built like an NFL linebacker.  Chauvin was 5'9", maybe 170 pounds.  Not even close, even without the chemical enhancements Floyd was enjoying. 

To me one of the bigger problems was the other 3 cops standing around and not doing anything when it was obvious Floyd was in distress. The Thin Blue Line in action. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I have no problem with him being found guilty.  But he WAS far overmatched. Floyd was a big strong dude- 6 foot 6, something like 240 pounds, built like an NFL linebacker.  Chauvin was 5'9", maybe 170 pounds.  Not even close, even without the chemical enhancements Floyd was enjoying. 

To me one of the bigger problems was the other 3 cops standing around and not doing anything when it was obvious Floyd was in distress. The Thin Blue Line in action. 

Cops ‘standing by’ has become a bit of a thing.

But while I disagree entirely with you on Chaivin, I do agree the cops ‘standing by’ absolutely have some significant culpability.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Strong but already handcuffed, so not really a threat. On top of it, as you mentioned, they were 4 cops against an handcuffed guy.

EY-1WyQXQAEF1p2.jpg

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, proton said:

Not forgiven but not a prison sentence, Cops have a hard time dealing with drugged up powerful criminals like Floyd on a regular basis who refuse to comply and do what they are told. If he had he might be still alive, if he had not overdosed again of course.

Your got a strange opinion. What i know of the law is that judges (in other countries) and juries (in US) deal out punishment. The cops themselves should not deal out punishment, you act like the cop should have punished the guy.

Yes the police should be given some slack however in this case even other cops were shocked. We all know the guy was a bad guy but that does not mean that cops should be judge jury and executioner. Maybe you like the movie judge dredd a lot.

This cop crossed the line used violence when it was not needed and the suspect was not a danger to anyone. He begged bystanders begged and the cop just went on. He was in handcuffs on the ground no danger at all.

I am all for giving cops a way out because they are put in situations where they can make mistakes in the heat of the moment. This was not such a case.

In my country just recently a cop shot at a 16 year old farmer, during the farmer protests. The cop thought he was in danger the boy had no ill intention but the cop was put in this situation and the farmers were violent before. So i get it why the cop made an error. But this was a in the heat of the moment action. Then I am for no or really low punishments. But not like this a suspect already in cuffs on the ground.

As for you saying he would likely be dead and crimes have been prevented so the cop should get off. That is a load of B.S. again you don't know the future and cops should not do this.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Cops ‘standing by’ has become a bit of a thing.

But while I disagree entirely with you on Chaivin, I do agree the cops ‘standing by’ absolutely have some significant culpability.

Why?  They would most likely have seen the released footage of the exact same incident that happened to a white guy in 2016 as the footage for that was released in 2019.    Since there was no action taken against the police in that incident (the cop who did it has actually been promoted) then why should the less experienced by-standing police in the Floyd incident not believe it was a legitimate tactic to use to restrain an uncooperative suspect?   

Perhaps if there was more outrage about the Timpa incident lessons could have been learned and Floyd would still be alive today, as well as the additional 19 people killed in the BLM and media incited riots that followed.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Nobody suggested the cops should hand out punishment, but if you look at all of the video it's clear Floyd was resisting arrest, acting irrationally and not cooperating. He did not deserve to die in the way he did, but he does not deserve to be held up as a saint or innocent victim either. If he had not been breaking the law the cops would never have been called. 

Fake arguments, he was no threat at all cuffed on the ground. Before might have been resisting but the danger was long gone. No need to go overboard. The guy was no angel and he might have deserved to die however that is not the cops duty nor does it influence their mistake. The guy was a criminal and a bad one I don't lose sleep over his death. But once you start accepting this lines blur and more violence by cops goes on. The US already has a reputation for that.

Other cops and the judge and jury saw it the same so your a minority. 

Your argument of cops being placed in tough spots is far more convincing. The others are just B.S. Cops have a hard time that is for sure. However when they truly cross the line like here the should be held accountable. When things are more grey they should have more slack then the average person.

You do know that cops are only to use force when in danger, using deadly force on someone on the floor and in cuffs is not accepted anywhere in the world.

I can understand cops being more violent if dealing with people who are known to be dangerous and criminal but that stops once the danger is gone.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Fake arguments, he was no threat at all cuffed on the ground. Before might have been resisting but the danger was long gone. No need to go overboard. The guy was no angel and he might have deserved to die however that is not the cops duty nor does it influence their mistake. The guy was a criminal and a bad one I don't lose sleep over his death. But once you start accepting this lines blur and more violence by cops goes on. The US already has a reputation for that.

Other cops and the judge and jury saw it the same so your a minority. 

Your argument of cops being placed in tough spots is far more convincing. The others are just B.S. Cops have a hard time that is for sure. However when they truly cross the line like here the should be held accountable. When things are more grey they should have more slack then the average person.

You do know that cops are only to use force when in danger, using deadly force on someone on the floor and in cuffs is not accepted anywhere in the world.

I can understand cops being more violent if dealing with people who are known to be dangerous and criminal but that stops once the danger is gone.

Pity Floyd never watched this, which ought to be shown in schools

• Like 2

6 hours ago, James105 said:

Why?  They would most likely have seen the released footage of the exact same incident that happened to a white guy in 2016 as the footage for that was released in 2019.    Since there was no action taken against the police in that incident (the cop who did it has actually been promoted) then why should the less experienced by-standing police in the Floyd incident not believe it was a legitimate tactic to use to restrain an uncooperative suspect?   

Perhaps if there was more outrage about the Timpa incident lessons could have been learned and Floyd would still be alive today, as well as the additional 19 people killed in the BLM and media incited riots that followed.   

The US has a decades long history of police killing un armed black men with impunity.

To argue that had the killing of one white man been justly investigated and prosecuted this would have saved Floyd from the cold blooded murder he suffered is a nonsense.

Floyd’s murder is arguably the most broadcast killing since Kennedy’s assassination, the cold blooded brutality of the murdering Cop on full display.

The resulting civil unrest, the Cop’s arrest, indictment, trial(s) and conviction(s) all gripped the nation.

Nobody in the US who witnessed these events can be in any doubt that the Cop cold bloodedly murdered Floyd, nobody can deny having the matter of Cops killing un armed Black men brought to their attention.

No Cop in American is unaware of the  Chauvin’s conviction for the cold blooded murder of an unarmed and handcuffed Black man.

And yet the police continue to gun down un armed Black men.

The argument that justly dealing with any single case will solve the systematic problem of Police killing un armed suspects of any race is patent nonsense.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

To argue that had the killing of one white man been justly investigated and prosecuted this would have saved Floyd from the cold blooded murder he suffered is a nonsense.

Is that on topic now ?

Can I reply about the same subject  ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The US has a decades long history of police killing un armed black men with impunity.

In 2021 , 302 White people were killed by the Police and 177 Black people were killed by the Police .

If the Police were taught NOT to kill anyone (blacks and whites) , Floyd may not have died 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In 2021 , 302 White people were killed by the Police and 177 Black people were killed by the Police .

If the Police were taught NOT to kill anyone (blacks and whites) , Floyd may not have died 

How many were cold bloodedly murdered by Cops?

Or are you just quoting statics that have no bearing at all on the topic under discussion?

38 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'd wager that not one single American cop has used the neck restraint technique used on Floyd following the extensive social media / media coverage and outrage was meted out at following the Floyd incident.   Since there was no outrage after the Timpa incident it probably never occurred to Chauvin he was doing anything wrong.   Neck restraints were authorised for use in Minneapolis at the time of the Floyd incident.   Would that have been the case if significant outrage had been applied to the Timpa incident?  Unlikely.   

Imagine the Timpa coverage got even a fraction of the attention of Floyd following the release of the Timpa incident footage.   That restraining technique would never have been used on Floyd (since it would have been outlawed), ergo he would still be alive today.

The US has had a history of killing unarmed folks (black and white) that did not comply with police instructions.    The US is dangerous place to be a police officer as everyone there potentially could be carrying a gun.   To not comply with police instructions is a very risky strategy that sometimes leads to unarmed folks (white and black) getting killed by the police.   

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'd wager that not one single American cop has used the neck restraint technique used on Floyd following the extensive social media / media coverage and outrage was meted out at following the Floyd incident.   Since there was no outrage after the Timpa incident it probably never occurred to Chauvin he was doing anything wrong.   Neck restraints were authorised for use in Minneapolis at the time of the Floyd incident.   Would that have been the case if significant outrage had been applied to the Timpa incident?  Unlikely.   

Imagine the Timpa coverage got even a fraction of the attention of Floyd following the release of the Timpa incident footage.   That restraining technique would never have been used on Floyd (since it would have been outlawed), ergo he would still be alive today.

The US has had a history of killing unarmed folks (black and white) that did not comply with police instructions.    The US is dangerous place to be a police officer as everyone there potentially could be carrying a gun.   To not comply with police instructions is a very risky strategy that sometimes leads to unarmed folks (white and black) getting killed by the police.   

Floyd’s murder wasn’t simply a ‘knock restraint’ issue was it?!

Its more dangerous to be a teenager in the US than a Cop:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/22/health/gun-deaths-school-age-children-trnd/index.html

You are making the argument of Cops executing (pun intended) extra judicial killing. Which I agree is a significant part of the problem, albeit hugely disproportionately visited upon Black men.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Floyd’s murder wasn’t simply a ‘knock restraint’ issue was it?!

Its more dangerous to be a teenager in the US than a Cop:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/22/health/gun-deaths-school-age-children-trnd/index.html

You are making the argument of Cops executing (pun intended) extra judicial killing. Which I agree is a significant part of the problem, albeit hugely disproportionately visited upon Black men.

The Police generally target criminals though , those breaking the law or not complying with their request . 

Most of the people arrested in the U.K are males , but that doesn't mean the UK police have an agenda against males 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Police generally target criminals though , those breaking the law or not complying with their request . 

Most of the people arrested in the U.K are males , but that doesn't mean the UK police have an agenda against males 

Floyd was murdered in cold blood, while handcuffed and surrounded by armed Cops.

His murder was nothing to do with ‘targeting criminals’, he was in police custody and a threat to nobody.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Floyd was murdered in cold blood, while handcuffed and surrounded by armed Cops.

His murder was nothing to do with ‘targeting criminals’, he was in police custody and a threat to nobody.

I was replying to your post where the mentioned the amount of people killed by USA police over the years and you wasn't specifically talking about Floyd .

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Apparently Floyd was a threat to himself, hence while handcuffed in the back of police car he was taken out and restrained. 

The 21 yrs Chavin was given here plus the 20 yrs for murder charge is way over the top. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Over the top for the cold blooded murder of a man in handcuffs, payed face down in the floor and surrounded by armed cops.

Yeh, OK.

He got the sentences prescribed in law.

41 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Apparently Floyd was a threat to himself, hence while handcuffed in the back of police car he was taken out and restrained. 

The 21 yrs Chavin was given here plus the 20 yrs for murder charge is way over the top. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Ahem... he was a threat to himself and he was saved by being killed....????

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps because Chauvin was a racist and a thug.

Floyd may have been a criminal, may have been " no angel" as they say, but he was murdered in plain view, during an attack which took place over some time.

I would say that your first line is on the mark, and although one can't tell a person by just looking at them, IMO he seems to fit your description very well.

Not only that, it looks like his mother dressed him for the trial.
image.png.673cd983cf735131fd7c384145532a17.png

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2022 at 4:30 PM, candide said:

Ahem... he was a threat to himself and he was saved by being killed....????

Some might consider that a win win ... 1 career criminal gone.

One dangerous officer gone before hurting an non-criminal.

• Like 1