LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

On 7/30/2024 at 12:07 PM, Misty said:

As Pib says, BOI Chamchuri is pretty painless for Certificates of Residence. I've gotten two there and helped someone else get one and all were painless.  Go to info desk & get paperwork checked, pay Bt500, submit paperwork counter 10, come back in an hour to collect.  You can wait there, or have a coffee or meal downstairs. Counter 10 is even friendly.

It is 200 b normally for a COR.  Why the upsell?

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is 200 b normally for a COR.  Why the upsell?

Depends on the immigration office as to what they charge for a COR. 

When I use to get my CORs at CW there was no charge (other than a small mailing fee as they mailed the COR to you)...couldn't get same day.   Over the years I seen several posts where people had to pay Bt500 at their particular servicing immigration office.   At BOI/Chamchuri Sq Immigration they charge Bt500....you get it one hour....no option to have it mailed to you at possibly a lower cost/just a mailing fee.  This Is Thailand. 

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

Lucky you. BBL now requires a $1,000 deposit to open a new USD acct, and they required me to deposit USD notes only. They wouldn't let me convert THB and wouldn't accept THB over the counter in exchange for USD. SCB had no problem converting my THB to USD to open my new USD acct just a few weeks ago, and they only required $300 initial deposit. Just an extra hoop to jump through.

Can you please explain why one would want a USD account in a local bank?

Can't you just wire money directly from your overseas bank account to your Thai bank whenever you need the money?

I'm not understanding the benefit of a local bank account in USD.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

Can't you just wire money directly from your overseas bank account to your Thai bank whenever you need the money?

I want and have a USD FCD foreign currency account so I can receive USD sent from my US Chase Bank acct. I can let the USD sit until I'm ready to convert it. I can choose the option to send THB if i want to send directly to my THB acct, but there's a sizable conversion cost, so it's better for me to send USD. Chase doesn't charge me any wire fees. That's the reason I have a USD FCD acct in Thailand.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. I am wiring USD from my US Chase bank to my Thai bank's FCD USD acct. I can then convert the USD immediately or whenever I choose.

Edited by JohnnyBD

On 6/18/2024 at 11:25 AM, stat said:

All Emails I received so far from BOI state that ONLY remitted income remains tax free. I have asked 2 times about unremitted income and they apparently can or do not want to answer the question about unremitted income. I now asked a third time about unremitted income being tax free from thai tax.

There is nothing special about living tax free in a country with a territorial tax system (PHILS, SG, etc). I think the majority of people with 80K passive income are very aware on how to avoid being taxed on their world wide income. I try not to have any german sourced income while living in TH.

FYI I never receiced an answer from BOI.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 6:12 AM, 1tent42 said:

I redacted my social security, bank, brokerage and pension account numbers when I submitted my documents and they were accepted just fine.

It appears that everyone's sensitive information in the US was hacked in April, and has been listed for sale on the Dark web.

2.9 billion records stolen in Social Security data hack, USDoD claims (usatoday.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

quick question...

Can you get a residency certificate at any immigration office or do you have to go to BOI Chamchuri? BOI is telling me to come to the BOI office 18th floor.

Any other experiences?

Need to get a drivers license.

Thanks

On 8/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, stat said:

FYI I never receiced an answer from BOI.

BOI is not a taxation agency. Ask the Thailand Department of Revenue. Likely your unremitted income (how would Thailand know about such income?) as a foreigner is taxed at its foreign source (ie., the US). 

I was denied an LTR wealthy pensioner visa, as my income was not accepted as "passive."

I am a member of an American LLC. Under American tax rules LLC income is not deemed as a salary nor as dividends. The income is called "distributions," & for whatever reason, this has caused my LTR denial by the BOI.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

BOI is not a taxation agency. Ask the Thailand Department of Revenue. Likely your unremitted income (how would Thailand know about such income?) as a foreigner is taxed at its foreign source (ie., the US). 

BOI claims that the LTR visa exempts income so they claim something which apparently they cannot back up by a statement from TRD nor are they entitled to my understanding to make such a statement as you correctly point out TRD is the sole arbiter of these issues.

In addition TRD is not answering any english emails with taxation issues that arise in the future. They will deal with it when you hand in your tax declaration and then it is too late to change anything.

Thailand knows about all ww income via CRS which apparently you are not aware of. Neither are capital gains taxed at source which you are also not aware of.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, stat said:

BOI claims that the LTR visa exempts income so they claim something which apparently they cannot back up by a statement from TRD nor are they entitled to my understanding to make such a statement as you correctly point out TRD is the sole arbiter of these issues.

In addition TRD is not answering any english emails with taxation issues that arise in the future. They will deal with it when you hand in your tax declaration and then it is too late to change anything.

Thailand knows about all ww income via CRS which apparently you are not aware of. Neither are capital gains taxed at source which you are also not aware of.

I think that the royal exemption states that the exemption can be removed by the DIR Gen of the Thai Revenue Dept so unless they want several thousand complainers by removing that exemption, I think it will stand but then again TIT.  I am not worried since my only income is a US govt Pension and then they would have to inform the US govt that they are tossing that international agreement too which I don't think they will do either but....

32 minutes ago, stat said:

BOI claims that the LTR visa exempts income so they claim something which apparently they cannot back up by a statement from TRD

BOI claim is backed up by a Royal Promulgation. That should satisfy TRD.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Srikcir said:

BOI claim is backed up by a Royal Promulgation. That should satisfy TRD.

I agree. The Royal Decree rules, and TRD is not obligated to issue any public statements on the issue or respond to any foreigners asking for one. If one doesn't keep up his/her LTR requirements, then he/she will probably get their visa cancelled when they go back for their extension in 5 years, just like those on retirement or marriage extensions who do not keep up their requirements.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:27 AM, 1tent42 said:

Why USD in a local bank?  It can typically be converted to THB and accessed almost immediately.   USD outside of Thailand in a bank, can take hours to days or more to transfer to Thailand - where 'your mileage may vary (YMMV) dependent on the amount of money and the transfer method to Thailand.  And YMMV as to how urgent one may need money at any given time.  And YMMV as to whether one is in a financial situation where one needs to keep relatively large amounts of money in cash (example: to satisfy immigration, BoI (self health insurance) or other requirements).

Aside from immigration and other needs to have relatively large amounts of cash, as to why keep money in USD? Some of us see the Thai Baht stronger than it should be at present, and speculate (where speculate is the 'operative' word) that the Thai baht will eventually fall vs the USD.

The downside ?  Interest in a Thai Bank USD account is likely less than interest in a USD account in some other countries.

I keep USD in accounts in Thailand, and also in countries outside of Thailand (in addition to keep some other currencies).   And I have other much much larger investments than simply  cash.

Its really up to each person as to how they wish to keep (and invest) their own money, and how much money they want locally (and in what currency) for any urgent needs (or whether any money is needed at all).   Some of us have different needs than others, and I fully believe for others the considerations I noted above makes absolutely ZERO SENSE for them. Every one is different and I wish all the best in the approach they adopt.

19 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Why USD in a local bank?  It can typically be converted to THB and accessed almost immediately.   USD outside of Thailand in a bank, can take hours to days or more to transfer to Thailand -

You mean, it's a surplus fund, sitting there for a contingency, that would require baht? Why not, then, keep a surplus fund in baht, that can be assessed immediately, not almost immediately. There's no interest advantage. Makes no cents, er, sense.

As far as FX speculation, yeah, maybe a couple of days journey across the ocean by dollars, to catch a low point in the baht, may miss the absolute low point by a day or two. But, that couple day's journey might also realize an even lower point -- as speculation can be tricky.

Anyway, as you say, to each his own. Right now, my wife is briefed on how to go online and transfer my Thai account assets to her account, when I croak. Not sure she could do that with a USD account..... (please, let's not reopen the discussion about a bird in the hand vs probate).

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, as you say, to each his own. Right now, my wife is briefed on how to go online and transfer my Thai account assets to her account, when I croak. Not sure she could do that with a USD account..... (please, let's not reopen the discussion about a bird in the hand vs probate).

You can definitely.

Have you given any thought about the problems you wife could face once she'll try get get hold of you overseas assets? And here you can write your will without any restrictions while in many countries such Switzerland or France you are restricted by law (reserve héréditaire).

58 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You mean, it's a surplus fund, sitting there for a contingency, that would require baht? Why not, then, keep a surplus fund in baht, that can be assessed immediately, not almost immediately. There's no interest advantage. Makes no cents, er, sense.

As far as FX speculation, yeah, maybe a couple of days journey across the ocean by dollars, to catch a low point in the baht, may miss the absolute low point by a day or two. But, that couple day's journey might also realize an even lower point -- as speculation can be tricky.

The main reason I have USD accts in Thailand is the exchange rates at my Thai banks are much better than sending THB from my Chase Bank acct in the US. I just checked what a $1,000 USD wire xfer would be if I asked Chase to convert to THB and their exchange rate was 33.1653 THB to 1 USD.  The current spot rate is 34.20, UOB is 34.07, SCB is 34.07, and Bangkok Bank is 34.03. So, it's cheaper by about 900b to send $1,000 USD to my USD accts in Thailand, and then convert to THB once here. If I send $10,000 USD, I will save even more. I prefer wiring money from Chase instead of using other money transfer companies. Also, Chase doesn't change me any outgoing wire fees.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

The main reason I have USD accts in Thailand is the exchange rates at my Thai banks are much better than sending THB from my Chase Bank acct in the US

Yes, at any point in time.  But, a week, month, year after you establish that dollar account, those dollars may be worth less than what's available in your US bank for conversion to baht. You can't pretend having a USD account somehow mitigates against an FX loss, unless you've somehow placed yourself in an emergency-need-baht situation. Again, as I said, having a contingency account in baht is certainly not inferior to having one in USD.

Or, maybe I'm missing your point. Are you saying you send dollars to your USD account, then, using that as a conduit, make an immediate conversion to baht, thus appreciating the superior conversion rate doing this in-country conversion realizes?

25 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yes, at any point in time.  But, a week, month, year after you establish that dollar account, those dollars may be worth less than what's available in your US bank for conversion to baht. You can't pretend having a USD account somehow mitigates against an FX loss, unless you've somehow placed yourself in an emergency-need-baht situation. Again, as I said, having a contingency account in baht is certainly not inferior to having one in USD.

Or, maybe I'm missing your point. Are you saying you send dollars to your USD account, then, using that as a conduit, make an immediate conversion to baht, thus appreciating the superior conversion rate doing this in-country conversion realizes?

I only send USD when I need it, and then immediately convert it to THB, thereby getting the better in-country conversion rate. I leave only the minimum required balance in my USD accts in Thailand. I always wondered if one could send USD directly to their THB accts. Maybe the banks would convert it automatically. I didn't want to try that. How do you send your USD to Thailand?

Edited by JohnnyBD

50 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Have you given any thought about the problems you wife could face once she'll try get get hold of you overseas assets?

Huh?  The wife, a US-Thai, and me have all our US bank accounts and other bank assets as joint, with right of survivorship.  My IRA and life insurance policies all have her as sole beneficiary. Our real estate, also jointly owned, has now all been sold -- but, if not, also wouldn't have been an inheritance problem. So, not sure what you're talking about....

Our biggest problem is trying to equally divide our US financial assets between nieces and nephews in the US, and in Thailand. The US ones are POD (pay on death), thus will receive our financial assets without the need of a Will. However, unable to do a POD for Thai relatives, as no SS or ITIN possible. So, now bringing some of those financial assets over to Thailand, where our Thai Wills will suffice to provide for them.

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Well, sure -- that's how most of us do it. SWIFT dollars sent will be converted to baht , at your bank, using their TT rate. WISE uses a more favorable FX rate than TT, but has more fees. Anyway, your method vs those I mentioned, will probably have timing as the determining factor as to what's best. All on the same day -- haven't a clue, but your method certainly adds a new twist to sending money to Thailand.

That's good to know. I've been here 8 years, and I wasn't aware that it is common practice to send USD via SWIFT directly to one's THB acct, and that the Thai bank will automatically convert it to THB upon receiving it at the TT rates. I have accts with UOB (was Citi), Kasikorn, SCB & Bangkok Bank, and none of them ever explained I could do that. I will go ask them to make sure, and set up some xfers to test it. If all is good, then I don't see the need to keep all my USD accts. The only bank that allows me to do online conversions is Bangkok Bank, so I will keep it. The rest I can close. I learn something new every day. Thanks...

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JimGant said:

As you say (and as I said) each to his own.

I have a massive disagreement with you in regards to the FX assessment. 

For me it makes NO SENSE to have too much in Thai baht.  I already have a condo in Thailand (ie can only be liquidated initially in Thai baht if/when time comes) and other Thai baht based investments. Why overload in Thai baht?  Is that what you prefer to do?

And if I need to keep large amounts in cash to satisfy BoI (such as self health insurance) or satisfy Thai immigration (for when on a Type-O/OA visa) why overload and have such in Thai baht?  Why overload in Thai baht when already I have a lot in Thai baht?  I can keep such in a foreign currency (such a USD and diversify).    Sure - I concede - that may be how you like to this , but for certain, it is NOT how I like to do it.

As noted - each to their own.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Agree 1