LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

11 hours ago, oldcpu said:

For my 'pink Thai ID',  Bangkok Bank used the # on my 'Pink ID' as my 'tax number' for their computer entry for the bond purchase.  I have no idea if that was the correct number (as to the best of my knowledge I don't have a Thai tax number).  Bangkok Bank claim one needs such a tax number to purchase a Thai government bond.  I suspect such may not be necessary, but why "fight city hall" when I already had such documents?

In the case I know of, the Thai tax number was needed because the Thai government bond pays interest. Thai income tax is withheld on that interest. The withheld tax has to be reported to the Thai Revenue Department at the time of withholding.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oldcpu said:

For my 'pink Thai ID',  Bangkok Bank used the # on my 'Pink ID' as my 'tax number' for their computer entry for the bond purchase.  I have no idea if that was the correct number (as to the best of my knowledge I don't have a Thai tax number).  Bangkok Bank claim one needs such a tax number to purchase a Thai government bond.  I suspect such may not be necessary, but why "fight city hall" when I already had such documents?

While for a Thai citizen their 13 digit Thai ID card number is also their tax number, for a non-citizen/farang it's "not" their Pink ID card number, passport number, etc., but a 13 digit number issued by the Thai Revenue Dept.     

But it shouldn't be no big deal that the bank used your Pink ID card number.  When it comes time for you to file a tax return to possibly get a refund of any tax withheld for bond interest the Revenue Dept will issue you a tax number then.   Or you can go get one from the Revenue Dept now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tai4de2 said:

I totally hear you on that... 

That said… success at Bangkok Bank this morning! I am now in possession of a bond holder number from the bank and a bond account passbook. 

I have not yet been able to add the account to my mobile banking app but the fellow said I need to wait a day before that becomes possible. And of course actually BUYING a bond even once I should be able to might become a whole new adventure. 

That's great news, I'm glad to hear you've made progress towards buying the bond. The procedure you describe is different from KBANK's - there was no bond account passbook in that case.  Please post how it goes with getting the actual bond.

1 hour ago, 8X5ZD said:

Finally making some progress...  Advanced out of the dreaded "consideration by government agencies" status!

I saw a BOI email in the inbox and thought it was a response to one of several unanswered emails.  Opened it and to my surprise it said, "your qualifications for LTR visa have been endorsed by relevant government agencies".  I read it two more times to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.  I was beginning to think that I was stuck in "consideration by government agencies" purgatory forever.

So I logged back into the application as instructed, and chose to get stamped in Thailand.  It asks for the "type of visa you are holding" and visa number.  From the drop down menu, I selected "visa exemption" and "other" and in both cases it's requiring a visa number, which I don't have.   I'm currently in the U.S. and will soon be entering Thailand on a 45-day visa exemption.   Any suggestions?

Congrats.   I expect just making up a number like 12345 would work fine.  When I got my endorsement notification like you just got I was on an OA Visa dtd Oct 2008 which I had extended around 14 times for reason of retirement and marriage.  Now since I was on a marriage extension of stay I selected a Non O marriage and entered the number from my latest Permitted to Stay extension....and I really couldn't be sure about some of the  handwritten numbers.   But this worked fine.  I really don't think it will make a difference regarding a visa number and I think they only want the info to do a little advance preparation of the paperwork to be accomplished/submitted from BoI to Immigration across the hall on the day of your appointment.

You may want to message BoI and see what they say.

And Congrats again on getting endorsed (approved).  When did you initially submit your application?  And it was a Pensioner application, right?   And any further details/your impressions of the application process would surely be appreciated by others getting ready to make the application trek.

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Congrats.   I expect just making up a number like 12345 would work fine.  When I got my endorsement notification like you just got I was on an OA Visa dtd Oct 2008 which I had extended around 14 times for reason of retirement and marriage.  Now since I was on a marriage extension of stay I selected a Non O marriage and entered the number from my latest Permitted to Stay extension....and I really couldn't be sure about some of the  handwritten numbers.   But this worked fine.  I really don't think it will make a difference regarding a visa number and I think they only want the info to do a little advance preparation of the paperwork to be accomplished/submitted from BoI to Immigration across the hall on the day of your appointment.

And Congrats again on getting endorsed (approved).  When did you initially submit your application?  And it was a Pensioner application, right?   And any further details/your impressions of the application process would surely be appreciated by others getting ready to make the application trek.

@Pib like you I was on my 3rd extension of stay based upon an O-A Visa issued at the Los Angeles Consulate in 2018.  I put the visa number from that visa in the section for the number, and had no issues when it cam down to collecting my Visa at BOI here in Bangkok last October.  Remember that immigration does include a handwritten note which cancels any existing permission to stay in order to activate your new Visa.  So if as @8X5ZD says he will enter on a 45 day visa exempt, immigration will just kill of that 45 day permission when they insert and activate the new LTR Visa.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Pib said:

I did shoot off an email to BOI.  Hope to hear back before I depart or else I'll be at their office on the day I arrive in Bangkok.  

Initial pensioner application was submitted on Jan 9th.  Uploaded documents were (1) HMO health insurance coverage letter and  (2) monthly pension and annuity statements in lieu of a tax return, which BOI okayed prior to applying. 

Come Jan 19th, only 10 days after applying, BOI requests additional docs - a copy of my HMO ID card and a 2022 form 1040.  ID card, no problem.  As for the 2022 tax return, I was still waiting for all the 1099's to come in so I hadn't started on it.  Even the IRS wasn't accepting tax returns for another few more days. Not wanting to wait to complete the 1040, I uploaded a pension verification letter from my former employer instead.  Seemed just as good, if not better than a 1040.  Then I waited and waited. Did not  receive a single response to any of the emails sent after Jan 9th.  Religiously logged in and the same status appeared again and again - "consideration by government agencies".  Frustration level started to build.  BOI then unexpectedly sends me an email on Feb 28th stating that my LTR visa application was endorsed by the relevant government agencies.  Still haven't reached the finish line though.  I need to figure out how to answer the supposed currently held visa, which I don't have.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

INIPUZ22

1 hour ago, User3847385 said:

with a re entry permit only valid until august this year as that was my old passports validity, he then used another page for another stay permit and a new re entry permit with 5 year validity from the date I was stamped with LTR.

Thank you very much for your post.

Can I clarify some things: you have LTR visa in old passport which was valid until august. Am i right?

And now you have valid old passport with old LTR stamp and new passport with new LTR stamp?

And they do not ask any sertificate for new passport or other paper?

I have a long conversation with BOI and they apparently asked somone from Immigration office. They assure me that they could not trasnfer my stamp to new passport without a paper from Embassy.

Many thanks! 

20 minutes ago, Ramilf said:

INIPUZ22

Thank you very much for your post.

Can I clarify some things: you have LTR visa in old passport which was valid until august. Am i right?

And now you have valid old passport with old LTR stamp and new passport with new LTR stamp?

And they do not ask any sertificate for new passport or other paper?

I have a long conversation with BOI and they apparently asked somone from Immigration office. They assure me that they could not trasnfer my stamp to new passport without a paper from Embassy.

Many thanks! 

That is correct, I did not get a paper from embassy since my embassy informed me that they don’t provide this paper anymore and that immigration would be aware of that, I actually forgot about that paper until you mentioned it now, immigration did not even ask me about it.

• Like 1

It’s going to be a few months until my condo is finished and I can get my LTR visa application going. I’ve been entering and exiting Thailand a lot in the past few months dealing with the condo and other personal stuff as I configure my future in Thailand.

I’m starting to get concerned that I’m going to get scrutinized and possibly denied entry or told “you must have a visa next time” soon. I don’t want to have immigration issues this close to the finish line.

So let’s say I apply for a METV or some other form of non-O (say, based on marriage), and use that to enter Thailand a few times over the next few months. Will that make problems for me when I go for the LTR visa later this year? It might only be like 3 months later that I go for the LTR.

I’d prefer to apply for an eVisa in the USA vs. visa category conversions or extensions of stay in-country because from what I can determine, the eVisa requires no medical certificates or police clearance. I have nothing to hide there but not having to deal with those two things is simply a big logistical win, but in-country conversions and extensions seem to universally require them.

Any advice and insight welcome.

8 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

So let’s say I apply for a METV or some other form of non-O (say, based on marriage), and use that to enter Thailand a few times over the next few months. Will that make problems for me when I go for the LTR visa later this year? It might only be like 3 months later that I go for the LTR.

I can't see how it would be an issue.  Many folks who get LTRs are already on some type of visa/extension....basically just switching from the visa/extension of stay they currently have to a LTR visa.

• Like 1

Seemingly trivial detail, but still important to note - after lodging our applications last Monday, we received a reply on Thursday informing us to resubmit new photos as 'T-SHIRT NOT ACCEPTABLE' and must be taken in 'business attire'. So back to the passport photo place we go, this time in a collared shirt and my wife in a slightly formal dress. Not a big deal but a reminder that I'm still getting used to the, uh, nuances of Thai bureaucracy lol. 

15 hours ago, GFunkDeluxe said:

Seemingly trivial detail, but still important to note - after lodging our applications last Monday, we received a reply on Thursday informing us to resubmit new photos as 'T-SHIRT NOT ACCEPTABLE' and must be taken in 'business attire'. So back to the passport photo place we go, this time in a collared shirt and my wife in a slightly formal dress. Not a big deal but a reminder that I'm still getting used to the, uh, nuances of Thai bureaucracy lol. 

Good to note. I think there's also a sign on the BoI's door about their dress code, no shorts or T-shirts or flip flops if I recall.

If it helps any, this type of dress code is the norm in most places I've traveled. So it's not just Thailand, or Thai bureaucracy. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 6:24 PM, GFunkDeluxe said:

Pro tip, if taking the pictures in Thailand the photo shop will add dress shirt and tie in the computer after taking the picture if you ask them, they even smooth out wrinkles in your face before printing and/or emailing you the pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, User3847385 said:

Pro tip, if taking the pictures in Thailand the photo shop will add dress shirt and tie in the computer after taking the picture if you ask them, they even smooth out wrinkles in your face before printing and/or emailing you the pictures.

Yes they do, I became a hansum man and the GF looked like a professional business woman.....

I'm interested in hearing data points from others in similar circumstances.  If each version of LTR has a consistent POC and we know what they prefer to see we can use this to streamline our submission approvals.  

Goal:  LTR Wealthy Pensioner Visa
Considerations:  Prefer to minimize data provided, avoid purchasing Thai insurance, avoid needing large cash account
Timeline:  Planning stage only so not ready to apply

About me:  Retired US federal employee, age 50+, with FERS pension (< 80K) and FEHB medical insurance (AFSPA)

Income verification (Pension + Dividends > 80K):

•      Preferred data to provide:  OPM 1099-R, redacted Recipient ID Number & Account Number, highlighted Box 1 Gross Distribution
  •      Preferred data to provide:  Vanguard 1099-DIV page 1, redacted Document ID & Recipient TIN & all data in Summary of Proceeds section, highlighted Line 1a Total Ordinary Dividends 

Supplemental data if requested by BOI:

•   Form 1040 (e-filed using Turbotax), redacted Social Security Number & Banking information, highlighted Box 3B Ordinary Dividends & Box 5A Pensions and Annuities.  Considering redacting Adjusted Gross Income and Taxable Income since I believe these are used by the IRS for identity verification purposes.
  • 2023 OPM Annuity Statement provides monthly benefit.  Redact Annuitant Claim Number. Highlight Gross Amount of Annuity & FERS Annuity Supplement data.  

Medical Insurance:

•      Preferred data to provide:  Letter of Coverage from AFSPA
  •      Supplemental data if requested by BOI:  Self fund USD 100K.  I can use either Vanguard or my Thrift Savings Plan.  My checking/savings account is the only pure cash account and is minimal.

Additional thoughts:

•      Income verification:  In lieu of providing the Form 1040, has anyone been successful in providing only the tax transcript?  I would need 2023 YTD dividend amounts from Vanguard and show the calculation for 2023 pension + estimated dividends > 80K.  
  •     Medical insurance:  AFSPA and FEPBlue are 2 FEHB plans that have Direct Billing Arrangements with the best private hospitals in Thailand.  I read somewhere that the BOI may be easing the 10 month remaining requirement for Tricare and possibly FEHB insurance, but not sure of the validity of this rumor.  Has anyone successfully received a Proof of Coverage letter from any FEHB provider that the BOI has accepted? 
  •     Medical insurance Self Funding:  The TSP quarterly statement (page 1) shows the balance amounts with no indication of the underlying investments.  TSP does have Savings in the name so maybe it will be approved easier.  Others have indicated they self funded using IRA accounts, but nobody has specified Vanguard and if Traditional/Roth.  I read a comment on Reddit where a Vanguard account was denied.  Has anyone used a Vanguard IRA to self fund?

BOI contact information I found online but have not verified:

•    Wealthy Global Citizen – Khun Auttapol (022091141)
  •    Wealthy Pensioner – Khun Mumtaz (022091143)
  •    Work From Thailand Professional – Khun Poothip (022091146) and Khun Suchawadee (0220091142)
  •    Highly Skilled Professional – Khun Intuch (022091144) and Khun Jakkrawan (022091149)

Ref Wealthy Pensioner.  BOI may change acceptance policies as experience guides them.  But, as of my 17Feb2023 post above, BOI advised me & I posted as follows:

An update.  I checked on the STATUS of my application, STEP 4, ACTION /View and noted that a document review screener made the following comment ref self-funding medical insurance, quote:  

"Financial evidence showing a deposit of no less than 100,000 USD which has been held for no less than 12 months at the time of application. For this one, it must be cash only.         

• Like 1

Does anyone who applied for LTR Work from Thailand Professional visa know, if they contact the employer in some way (email/phone) or are the submitted documents enough to process the application? I am thinking that if they would call the reception at my company they wouldn't get any relevant information.

Also what will happen if I will find another job after some time? Will the visa be cancelled at 5-year check or will they be cancelled immediately?

Looks like some good news for those interested in applying for LTRs in the  "Highly Skilled Professional" - apparently the categories that qualify are being expanded.

From an AMCHAM Thailand email:

Cabinet Revises LTR Visa’ Targeted Industries

• The Cabinet supported revision to the qualifications, criteria, and benefits for Long-Term Resident Visas’, as proposed by Board of Investment (BOI), with the aim of attracting Highly Skilled Professionals, by revising the criteria of targeted industries. As a result:
    • The following industries are newly added: Transport and Logistics, and Petrochemical and Chemical Industry.
    • The following industries have been revised: Automotive Industry, Electronics Industry, Agricultural, Food, and Biotechnology Industry, Aviation, Airport, and Space Industry, International Business Center (IBC), among other revisions.
  • Notably, the BOI will now consider other industries that are served by highly skilled professionals, using one of the following specialized skillsets:
    1. Research and development in targeted industries or targeted technology industries such as biotechnology, nanotechnology, and advanced materials technology. 
    2. Human resource development in sciences and technology, at vocational or higher education levels.
    3. The application of Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies, and/or using automated robotics system in businesses.
    4. The planning and development of digital system to elevate the products and services offered by businesses.
    5. Providing financial and market consulting services.
    6. The management of environment and energy.
    7. Managing or providing consultation on incubator and acceleration projects, and providing support to the innovation and ecosystems of startup businesses.
    8. Alternative dispute resolution services.      
    9. Providing support and sponsoring the development of business economics, trade and investments, by foreign chambers of commerce and international trade organizations.

Source: March 7 Cabinet Resolutions, Agenda Item no. 24  https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/65840

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to see the LTR program is still getting attention at the highest level of govt.  Hopefully we'll continue to see more changes which will make obtaining a LTR visa more attainable for more people.

And once the LTR Certified Agent scheme takes flight that should increase the number of applicants since many people prefer to use an agent to hand-walk them through the LTR visa application process.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Alldar said:

Does anyone who applied for LTR Work from Thailand Professional visa know, if they contact the employer in some way (email/phone) or are the submitted documents enough to process the application? I am thinking that if they would call the reception at my company they wouldn't get any relevant information.

Also what will happen if I will find another job after some time? Will the visa be cancelled at 5-year check or will they be cancelled immediately?

No, they will not contact your employer in any way.

The second part of your question, absolute uncertainty, no idea-  no real  clarity, which is why this visa category has a very small number of acceptances. 

In theory the visa is linked to your foreign employment. If this ceases you have 10 days to find a new visa. In practice, they probably won't know until the 5 year mark.

But do you risk your visa status on this? As they say, up to you! 

Hence why this category has not been adopted very broadly yet......

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

In theory the visa is linked to your foreign employment. If this ceases you have 10 days to find a new visa. In practice, they probably won't know until the 5 year mark.

You got a source document/weblink for this statement?    A BoI webpage link, a BoI/Immigration form applicable for an LTR visa, etc.   Maybe you have a LTR Work from Thailand visa and it was on some BoI/Immigration forms your signed when applying for/getting the LTR visa issued?  

An LTR visa does not have all the same rules as a regular one year non-immigrant visa such as a Non-B, Non-O, etc.  Even the work permit rules are different like not requiring the 4 Thais to 1 farang employment ratio.   

Now I do know that if a person has a Work Permit based on a  "1" year Non immigrant visa that a if the person is on an "extension of stay" of the underlying visa and his employment with organization XYZ ends then he has 7 days to exit Thailand.   But if he is "not" on an extension but the basic visa is still valid then when employment ends he has until the end of that visa before needing to exit Thailand.  See this webpage for more info:  https://franklegaltax.com/visa-issues-when-your-work-permit-is-cancelled/      But as mentioned this weblink is talking a 1 year visa; not a 10 year LTR....so I'm interested in seeing your reference for your statement quoted above.    Thanks.

29 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Personally, I would hope there are some compliance checks, at least at the 5-year mark.  If the LTR becomes abused, it's continuance could be jeopardized.  

My guess is the compliance check at the 5 year point will be just like the initial application requirements minus any fee for approval.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pib said:

My guess is the compliance check at the 5 year point will be just like the initial application requirements minus any fee for approval.

Yeah, two days wasted on a trip to Bangkok, plus khaki trousers and a collared shirt. Nice of them not to require a neck tie.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, agreed - that's pretty much what BoI staff told me to expect when I asked.  And since I've already paid for a 10 year visa, additional fees (if any) shouldn't be much.