What do you use for home self defence/security?

1 hour ago, Reposed said:

Problem with cutting edge weapons is they are very, very messy and will easily cause one to lose ones footing in the very slippery blood. 

Helluva lot of cleanup, and very hard to conceal from you-know-who, despite copious cleanings.

Maybe a mop as a weapon would be better and you could multitask at the same time 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Where do some of you people live and why do you think you need weaponry to defend yourself in Thailand.

The next thing will be a electrified all round fence with located machine gun towers and getting some Cambodian guys to man the towers. ????

Don't need, just happen to have.  Same as in USA, actually carried a Glock, never needed.

The wall is for privacy, and more so not to offend, while going al' natural ????

As long as I'm not home, they can take what they want, just don't break anything.   I use to leave the kitchen door unlocked in Udon Thani when out of town.  95k baht worth of glass wall, I didn't want them to break.  If they want in, they are getting in.

Big male dog very protective of the house and several garden tools (machetes, hard wood poles) around the house.  And the area dogs are good at letting us know when there's someone walking around nearby.  But burglars aren't my biggest concern, it's those high on drugs that IMO would put up a fight.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Where do some of you people live and why do you think you need weaponry to defend yourself in Thailand.

The next thing will be a electrified all round fence with located machine gun towers and getting some Cambodian guys to man the towers. ????

I feel pretty safe, but parents in law and her brother wanted us to buy a gun, but I was no fan of having a gun in the house. I like to have tools Im familar with, and in the night there is no better no lethal defense than a strong flashlight, also useful when checking when the dogs barking. We know the difference when the dogs bark to let us know if there is a snake, other dogs or people. 

When that is said, there is alot of drugs around in the village, but never heard about a robbery yet. 

223EBFE0-944F-472E-B66D-5AB3802EEF10.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't need, just happen to have.  Same as in USA, actually carried a Glock, never needed.

The wall is for privacy, and more so not to offend, while going al' natural ????

As long as I'm not home, they can take what they want, just don't break anything.   I use to leave the kitchen door unlocked in Udon Thani when out of town.  95k baht worth of glass wall, I didn't want them to break.  If they want in, they are getting in.

Yeah I understand somewhat and think UK is probably safer than US but still a nightmare place to live if you don't take care. 

I got a shotgun license in UK because of the Michael Rian incident ????.

My house had alarm system, windows locks, doubled glazing, trigger lights and sensor cameras mainly because of bloody pikies always being a threat of break ins.

I have never felt I had the need any of that here in Thailand where we live. 

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

A Thai wife !

Anyone willing take her on is welcome to whatever they want !  ????

Actually we have 4 dogs outside. Never needed or felt the need for anything more in 16 years living in the countryside.

I think we must have married sisters!  lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

My house had alarm system, windows locks, doubled glazing, trigger lights and sensor cameras mainly because of bloody pikies always being a threat of break ins.

I have never felt I had the need any of that here in Thailand where we live. 

Ah yes ... but does anyone actually need all that c r a p MSM tells us that we do.

I was a collector, hobbyist, actually firearms dealer (FFL), so I had a sh!tload of guns, never needed 1.

Chances of someone being a victim of a violent crime is ridiculously low, depending where you live, but I lived in neighborhood 'people wouldn't venture to' and never a problem.

Only reason we have the shotgun, is it was in the family, and her brother (lives in USA) didn't know what to do with it, until I joined the family.  Nobody else wanted it, or that he'd trust to have it.  Only have a few shells for it.

MSM ... crime crime crime ... FBI stats ... down down down, year after year.????

Edited by KhunLA

A plastic ketchup squirter bottle filled with 50%/50% vinegar-water solution, and a 24" rattan baton. I don't want bloody floors, I don't want drawn-out court cases. I just want to stop anyone who should not be in my house. Unless they have a firearm, this will stop them.  I've kept this same combo available to me since I was 18 and living alone. Never needed to use it once in 65 years.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

None, unnecessary.

In the condo, it is not possible for an invader to know what is behind any door awaiting them. AFAIK condo burglaries just don't happen in Thailand. The only way crimes can occur is if the criminal is invited in.

In my GF's village, the house is surrounded by the homes of relatives and friends. Any stranger would stick out like a sore thumb. It's at the end of a small lane, her next-door neighbor has six dogs that set up a cacophony any time someone comes down the lane.

Perhaps some posters think they are still in America.

For our country side home inhabited by about 10 people: Really unnecessary - 1. because there is nothing to steal 2. because 11 dogs (number varies because of new births and accidents) are providing instant alarm.

For our condo in Pattaya: Also none required actually although the door to the condo entrance is a joke. 60 year old technology. A professional burglar could open the door in seconds in various ways. But the problem is different: What is difficult is to get to the door. Dozens of Cameras, Security Personnel, Badges and additional locked doors in the lobby and the higher floor are not inviting for any burglar. After all you need to transport any stolen items to the ground again.

Apart from that any burglar being still successful (with the help of some dishonest personnel for example) awaits a surprize inside. He would be recorded by two strategically placed very small video cameras and the video would be sent abroad to a server before the burglar could detect that this had happened to prevent that a local recording could be destroyed. The system used is called "ALDO" and we brought it from Switzerland but it is sold here as well I think (invadeIT ?)

After we came here initially and I saw the door and lock I immediately wanted to conclude a home appliance insurance. But this turned out to be even more of a joke than the technology of the door.

I would love to have a pepper spray for my wife and me. We each did have a professional one in Switzerland. But very unfortunately that is not allowed here as is a gun or shot gun. Could my wife as a Thai apply officially for a weapon to carry around in the car ? I think not.

Edited by moogradod

My g/f scares the hell out of me, so good luck any intruder. I do have my RAF Officers sword, but its ceremonial rather than a practical weapon. I suppose that I could salute the sxxt out of them 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Kind of unsettling that so many people apparently live in fear in their own home and feel that they need to have weapons to protect themselves.

Obviously could become handy if carried in the car. My wife tells me horror stories of people being shot because of a refusal of right of way. Just ask around - you might be surprized.

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Obviously could become handy if carried in the car. My wife tells me horror stories of people being shot because of a refusal of right of way. Just ask around - you might be surprized.

Keeping weapons in the car? You must be joking, surely.

6 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Keeping weapons in the car? You must be joking, surely.

I understand your reaction and I agree, this IS crazy. But nevertheless there are more guns carried around in cars that you might think. I did not count them personally but this is what I hear and many times it is in the news as well.

20 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Kind of unsettling that so many people apparently live in fear in their own home and feel that they need to have weapons to protect themselves.

Never lived in fear, but nothing wrong with prepping for the worst, JIC.

I'm sure there's quite a few folks around regretting they didn't have.  Highly doubt there is anyone that regrets they stopped a crime because of having.

29 minutes ago, moogradod said:

He would be recorded by two strategically placed very small video cameras and the video would be sent abroad to a server before the burglar could detect that this had happened to prevent that a local recording could be destroyed. The system used is called "ALDO" and we brought it from Switzerland but it is sold here as well I think (invadeIT ?)

Correction. It is called "ARLO" and not "ALDO". Aldo is a shop where my wife buys occasionally bags and shoes.

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I understand your reaction and I agree, this IS crazy. But nevertheless there are more guns carried around in cars that you might think. I did not count them personally but this is what I hear and many times it is in the news as well.

That may very well be true, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and I'm definitely not going to add to the craziness myself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Never lived in fear, but nothing wrong with prepping for the worst, JIC.

I'm sure there's quite a few folks around regretting they didn't have.  Highly doubt there is anyone that regrets they stopped a crime because of having.

Prepping for the worst by having weapons in one's home is living in fear in my book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ah yes ... but does anyone actually need all that c r a p MSM tells us that we do.

I was a collector, hobbyist, actually firearms dealer (FFL), so I had a sh!tload of guns, never needed 1.

Chances of someone being a victim of a violent crime is ridiculously low, depending where you live, but I lived in neighborhood 'people wouldn't venture to' and never a problem.

Only reason we have the shotgun, is it was in the family, and her brother (lives in USA) didn't know what to do with it, until I joined the family.  Nobody else wanted it, or that he'd trust to have it.  Only have a few shells for it.

MSM ... crime crime crime ... FBI stats ... down down down, year after year.????

Gun control very strict in UK at first it was I could leave gun standing in the corner of the kitchen, later gun safe fixed to an outside solid wall with two 7 lever security locks.

Cartridges to be lock up seperatly from gun safe. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Gun control very strict in UK at first it was I could leave gun standing in the corner of the kitchen, later gun safe fixed to an outside solid wall with two 7 lever security locks.

Cartridges to be lock up seperatly from gun safe. 

Why have if can't have instant access to it.  That's just silly.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Prepping for the worst by having weapons in one's home is living in fear in my book.

Do you wear a seat belt, I've never needed one of those either ...

... nuff said.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why have if can't have instant access to it.  That's just silly.

Fair call if you are not familiar with UK gun laws. 

The laws do work as far as gun crime goes in UK. 

• Like 1