What do you use for home self defence/security?

What does everyone keep in their home for self defence in Thailand? 

I am guessing not much legal stuff since tasers/firearms/pepper spray is illegal. 

Knives/swords/machete/bow and arrows? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

dogs, strong flashlights and retractable baton.

Pepper/chilli spray you can make yourself that will work like a proper bear spray.

I thought about blinding flashlight, pretty much would leave anyone blind at night. I was thinking about a dog but condos dont allow pets. lol home-made chilli spray must smell horrible, I guess I could just throw some somtum at them it's spicy enough. 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Dog (alarm)

Shotgun (legal - wife)

Crossbow

Sword, Machete & lots of blades

Lucky, what shotgun? 

Are the swords/machete's expensive? I saw some machete's on lazada for a few hundred baht, can't tell if they're sharp or not. 

Im thinking if there was any intruder it'd be a small threat in a condo, probably no one doing big robberies but like someone with a knife doing small theft/rape type of stuff. 

Saw some suspicious looking older fellow in my condo at night today that got me thinking, it's a university condo so was odd to see him around at night, he didn't have a keycard/ wasn't able to use the elevator and went to the fire exit/stairs once he saw me leave my room. Probably nothing but I figured might as well have something. 

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Condo, your security not enough? entry fob etc.

People get paranoid, a guy in my condo was convinced people were spying on him, he was a problem, office got police to come and assure him no one is spying on him + if he continues to cause a problem he will be deported

When I lived in Pleonchit I wasn't worried as the condo security was great, condo well lit and it was a nice area. Face recognition for the lift and condo doors, it was a high-rise building so no one was getting on your floor that shouldn't be there so there was really no concern. 

I am living in a University city now, it's a low rise building, not well lit or a nice area. I actually haven't even thought about it until today, was just a bit odd, I've never seen this person, he was middle aged, typical residences are university aged and I have no clue why he walked from the elevators to the fire exit stairs to leave. There is actually a warning on the fire exit door saying to not use it except for emergencies or you will be fined. I am not too concerned about it theres a bunch of reasons why he could have been there, but it did make me think I might as well get something in case something does happen.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

None, unnecessary.

In the condo, it is not possible for an invader to know what is behind any door awaiting them. AFAIK condo burglaries just don't happen in Thailand. The only way crimes can occur is if the criminal is invited in.

In my GF's village, the house is surrounded by the homes of relatives and friends. Any stranger would stick out like a sore thumb. It's at the end of a small lane, her next-door neighbor has six dogs that set up a cacophony any time someone comes down the lane.

Perhaps some posters think they are still in America.

Yea I guess it's not too common in condos but I remember reading a few murders (un-invited) in apartments in Bangkok and I've only stayed in Thailand for a year, I am in a low rise condo so it's about the same as an apartment. 

I think most people have the same mentality as your post, until it happens to them, I have never had any issues in Thailand, but I've been robbed in my home country, wasn't in a bad area/city/neighbourhood either. Some people are just crazy. 

21 minutes ago, dj230 said:

When I lived in Pleonchit I wasn't worried as the condo security was great, condo well lit and it was a nice area. Face recognition for the lift and condo doors, it was a high-rise building so no one was getting on your floor that shouldn't be there so there was really no concern. 

I am living in a University city now, it's a low rise building, not well lit or a nice area. I actually haven't even thought about it until today, was just a bit odd, I've never seen this person, he was middle aged, typical residences are university aged and I have no clue why he walked from the elevators to the fire exit stairs to leave. There is actually a warning on the fire exit door saying to not use it except for emergencies or you will be fined. I am not too concerned about it theres a bunch of reasons why he could have been there, but it did make me think I might as well get something in case something does happen.

report it to the office, maybe using fire exit avoids CCTV

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

report it to the office, maybe using fire exit avoids CCTV

I think he just didn't have a keycard, not sure why, I am assuming he tried the elevator and realized he needed a keycard and couldn't get back down. It's a pretty small low rise, and I can see the lift area from my door. He came from the lift down the hall, no one lives down the end of the hall except a few I recognize, so I turned to see which room he was going in after walking past him and then he just went into the fire exit. 

I was thinking maybe he just saw a freelancing university girl and left. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In the condo, it is not possible for an invader to know what is behind any door awaiting them. AFAIK condo burglaries just don't happen in Thailand. The only way crimes can occur is if the criminal is invited in.

We had at least one burglary in our condominium - years ago. As far as I remember someone stole jewelry from a relative rich lady. 

And about guards: In theory their job is protection, and in part they do that. But on the other hand security people are a risk. I had a friend who owned a Thai security company. He was aware that some robberies are organized by security guards in a building. Later he paid one of the guards extra money to report to him what the others are planning...

Personally I don't worry too much. I don't think anyone will target me because nobody will expect anything valuable and removable from my condominium. And there are lots of other units with bad locks which are easier to enter.

5 hours ago, dj230 said:

Lucky, what shotgun? 

Are the swords/machete's expensive? me leave my room. Probably nothing but I figured might as well have something. 

Old Mossberg 12g

Swords & blades were inexpensive, and c r a p really.  Nothing like I had back in states, proper Jap swords from WWII.

Along with the standard 2m wall, though for privacy & keep the snakes out, well, try to.  Don't think most need to worry when home, between walls & soi dogs (alarms), most are dumb enough to do home invasions.

Just when out & about is a concern, and if not there, well, don't really care, and so far, so good, no probs, and we're out a lot.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

None, unnecessary.

In my GF's village, the house is surrounded by the homes of relatives and friends. Any stranger would stick out like a sore thumb. It's at the end of a small lane, her next-door neighbor has six dogs that set up a cacophony any time someone comes down the lane.

Perhaps some posters think they are still in America.

Same here, never locked the front door in 10 years.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think most need to worry when home, between walls & soi dogs (alarms), most are dumb enough to do home invasions.

Just when out & about is a concern, and if not there, well, don't really care, and so far, so good, no probs, and we're out a lot.

... are NOT dumb enough to do home invasions ????

Problem with cutting edge weapons is they are very, very messy and will easily cause one to lose ones footing in the very slippery blood. 

Helluva lot of cleanup, and very hard to conceal from you-know-who, despite copious cleanings.

Edited by Reposed
spell checker can't spell

5 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

100+ relatives in the same tiny village in Isaan.

FIL has 5 brothers. 

No one dares to mess with our clan.

Never had an issue as long as we have lived here, not even one.

Same same, I am also in "good [affordable] terms" with the local police. My good old ice axe rest on top of our bedroom's wardrobe. So far I used it only on ice, but then my wellbeing depended on the precision of my cuts, so I am confident I could still slice through the throat of an intruder.