Alleged bent tourist cop and associate bailed for 1 million baht each - reporters left standing

webfact

17 hours ago, transam said:

Bent means corrupt, dodgy where I come from......

There is a police branch called Tourist Police...

All branches of RTP are bent.  The origin of the two million baht ransom needs looking at closely.  If the crooks disappear who gets the bail money?  

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

All branches of RTP are bent.  The origin of the two million baht ransom needs looking at closely.  If the crooks disappear who gets the bail money?  

It is the nature of the beast.... certainly not restricted to any police organizations. 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, billsmart said:

What does "bent" mean when used in this context: "bent tourist cop"

Is it a mistranslation of "crooked"? And what is a "tourist cop"?

I've discovered it's UK slang for "crooked" or "corrupt." I'm from the USA and never heard "bent" used in that way before. I've heard "bent" used as "determined," such as "he was bent on doing something," but never as a synonym for "corrupt."

4 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

I was so happy to hear a humble policemans wife could find a couple of mil for bail. Maybe generous friends.

Nah just took a loan against the Porsche  or Lamborghini 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

Take a guess.

They look after their own. 

Mafia is as Mafia does.

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I've discovered it's UK slang for "crooked" or "corrupt." I'm from the USA and never heard "bent" used in that way before. I've heard "bent" used as "determined," such as "he was bent on doing something," but never as a synonym for "corrupt."

I recommend the British crime series Line of Duty (available on Netflix still, I think) to get caught up on British criminal and "copper" slang. Lol

Lots of Brits here on AseanNow, so getting a primer on British slang might prove useful!

I'd put the show in the top 5% of English Language cop shows. It's a winner!

(No need to thank me, mate......... 555!)

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

We learn something new every day.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, crazykopite said:

Where does a low paid policeman get a million baht from 

I thought it was obvious!

They are allegedly involved in extorting money from pubs and clubs in exchange for protection. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, billsmart said:

In the  UK and Australia the term “ bent” when referring to police or even others usually suggests they are corrupt.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:02 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Hmmm.... I was always under the impression that only a judge could grant bail, but not individual police stations. One learns something new every day.

From an earlier report:

"Relatives of the tourist policeman turned up with 200,000 baht money to bail him out but this was denied."

Looks like the earlier offered bail amount of 200,000 wasn't enough for Bang Yai police, so it had to be "re-negotiated" to a cool million per suspect. As always, money talks.

I wonder how much of these 2 million will actually go into state coffers. 

When I bailed out a friend, I had to hurry because the office processing the cash payment and related documents closes at 5.00 p.m., but then again, that was not in the Capital.