Eleven Conservatives now bidding to be next UK prime minister

CharlieH

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Seems you don't know what this thread is about.

Let me remind you, it is about a new PM for the Blues, not for the job of Chancellor.

Rishi has been the Chancellor for a long time, and it seems that his approach hasn't worked, even you lefty's have complained about it.

Liz want's to take a different approach, and seems confident of her plan working with her Chancellor and team.

Again, now read very carefully, for me, Liz for PM, with Rishi doing something else other than Chancellor........????

So you claim Sunak's approach didn't work, Truss wants to take a different approach, and you support Truss. 

But that doesn't mean you support her plan....it is to laugh.

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I didn't say you were racist. You misread the post. Please re-read it.

I said you were implying that the Conservative members wouldn't vote for Sunak because he isn't white. It was quite an interesting debate and then you couldn't resist pulling the race card. Sad.

I was reporting what other media are saying, something you appear to completely not understand or choose to attempt to argue about. But no problem, you are easy to ignore in future

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Oh give it a rest. Can't you have a sensible debate without screaming "racist"?

Have you seen how many non white Conservative MP's there are? Who do you think voted for them? Sure, not all voters would be members of the party but they are certainly supporters. Do only the racists make the step from voter to member? Laughable.

The lefties are FUMING at the Tory leadership  competition which has mustered more women and people of colour- a genuine multicultural group than Labour  could produce. Its so funny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

I was reporting what other media are saying, something you appear to completely not understand or choose to attempt to argue about. But no problem, you are easy to ignore in future

Here in the U.K , the media doesn't seem to be concerned about either the race or gender of the two applicants .

Although you probably could find one or two articles if you did a specific search for it 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are two candidates, neither is addressing the concerns of ordinary people.

Everyones concerns need to be addressed , not just the people who go to food banks .

Policies  that effect the whole Country and all its people  are the main concern , rather than just a minority group 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The lefties are FUMING at the Tory leadership  competition which has mustered more women and people of colour- a genuine multicultural group than Labour  could produce. Its so funny

Facts obviously don't concern you but still perhaps a little education may help you when it comes to discussing multicultural groups in political parties, in this case conservative or Labour..

In the 2019 general election, this figure rose to 65, with 22 Conservative, 41 Labour and two Liberal Democrat non-white MPs. 

So conservatives non white MPs are outnumbered almost 2 to 1 by those belonging to the Labour party. So when you state "its so funny" then yes clearly it is when people do not know what they are talking about as you have illustrated about yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_minority_politicians_in_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=In the 2019 general election,Lords as of October 2020.

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Here in the U.K , the media doesn't seem to be concerned about either the race or gender of the two applicants .

Although you probably could find one or two articles if you did a specific search for it 

And quite rightly too as colour should have no impact but the media elsewhere, show an interest and appear to be able to undertake research specifically amongst conservative members, how could that be unless invited to do so ?  It makes me wonder if it is an orchestrated attempt from one of the teams for further dirty tricks. We have seen the stunts and slanging match so far , let's hope it does not get worse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Excel said:

Facts obviously don't concern you but still perhaps a little education may help you when it comes to discussing multicultural groups in political parties, in this case conservative or Labour..

In the 2019 general election, this figure rose to 65, with 22 Conservative, 41 Labour and two Liberal Democrat non-white MPs. 

So conservatives non white MPs are outnumbered almost 2 to 1 by those belonging to the Labour party. So when you state "its so funny" then yes clearly it is when people do not know what they are talking about as you have illustrated about yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_minority_politicians_in_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=In the 2019 general election,Lords as of October 2020.

Non-racists don't count the number of different colour faces.

Seems you are, perhaps you should drop it.....????

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, transam said:

Daft post, but ask Angela Rayner.........????

Why is my question asking if any MP would know any ordinary people a daft post?

If any post could be considered as daft I would suggest your post above is, as I have no clue as to what is the "but ask Angela Rayner.." comment about!!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Would any MP actually know any?

Is that a serious question .

M.P's  are regularly contacted by ordinary people , they live normal lifes like everyone else .

Do you think that they spend 24 hours sitting in Parliament ?

Anyone can visit their M.P at his local office .

M.P's regularly meet with their constituents 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

Oh, not again, the % thingy.................????

What % did Labour lose the election by, whilst you're at it....????

Unrelated to the claim I reacted to. Maybe you can tell us how big this massive majority by the General Public was?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Unrelated to the claim I reacted to. Maybe you can tell us how big this massive majority by the General Public was?

Why, it makes no difference to the outcome of a vote that took place 6 years ago............????

1 hour ago, Excel said:

And quite rightly too as colour should have no impact but the media elsewhere, show an interest and appear to be able to undertake research specifically amongst conservative members, how could that be unless invited to do so ?  It makes me wonder if it is an orchestrated attempt from one of the teams for further dirty tricks. We have seen the stunts and slanging match so far , let's hope it does not get worse.

Eh? No, let's hope it gets much, much worse. Let the Bluekippers destroy one another....

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Eh? No, let's hope it gets much, much worse. Let the Bluekippers destroy one another....

I hear what you say and can see it from one perspective. However from the outside, foreigners looking in, even one party beating itself as the conservatives are doing now will cast a shadow across British politics in general and that spreads to lack of confidence in government policies which is not good for the pound and/or the economy eventually. Not that the economy will be in any good shape by the next election but they shouldn't be making it even worse .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Everyones concerns need to be addressed , not just the people who go to food banks .

Policies  that effect the whole Country and all its people  are the main concern , rather than just a minority group 

So let's disregard that small minority that uses the NHS

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

I hear what you say and can see it from one perspective. However from the outside, foreigners looking in, even one party beating itself as the conservatives are doing now will cast a shadow across British politics in general and that spreads to lack of confidence in government policies which is not good for the pound and/or the economy eventually. Not that the economy will be in any good shape by the next election but they shouldn't be making it even worse .

A very thoughtful reply.

However surely any foreigner looking in would realise they should NOT have any confidence in the current regime's promises as they cannot be trusted to honour them. Look at the Brexit withdrawal deal - signed in bad faith from the get go...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

This is democracy in   progress . 

For a start , most Foreigners have no interest at all in U.K politics .

And anyone  who appreciates the democratic process would be aware that democracy involves people disagreeing with each other .

I am bewildered that there are so many people who cannot accept or understand how democracy works and cannot fathom that people have differing opinions .

I do think that some people will caste a negative aspect on any event 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Why, it makes no difference to the outcome of a vote that took place 6 years ago............????

So someone makes an incorrect claim, when called out you defend the person making the incorrect claim, and when asked you defer to 'doesn't matter'.
Truth and words matter, even though you and others seem to not care about that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

For a start , most Foreigners have no interest at all in U.K politics .

You must be on another planet. Foreign investment bankers take a very close interest in it. It never ceases to amase me how people think the UK is a simple little island where foreign investment does not happen and hence any signs of political change or policy introduction is of vital importance. No wonder the country is in such a poor political state if people have such a closed outlook as that.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

You must be on another planet. Foreign investment bankers take a very close interest in it. It never ceases to amase me how people think the UK is a simple little island where foreign investment does not happen and hence any signs of political change or policy introduction is of vital importance. No wonder the country is in such a poor political state if people have such a closed outlook as that.

Yes, but foreign investors wouldn't decide NOT to invest in the U.K because Conservatives are electing a new leader .

All democracies the World over have regular elections and the leaders are regularly replaced ,  

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but foreign investors wouldn't decide NOT to invest in the U.K because Conservatives are electing a new leader .

All democracies the World over have regular elections and the leaders are regularly replaced ,  

Not what was said and you know it.  It was the way they are going about it which was the point I was making and it is exactly that which can dispel confidence or otherwise that the policies being put forward by the candidates are potential investment identifiers or otherwise simply being used as electoral ammunition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like Truss is favourite to win 

Liz Truss extends lead against Rishi Sunak in latest poll of Tory members

By Sam Coates, deputy political editor 

Liz Truss has extended her lead among Tory members over Rishi Sunak as the final stage of the race for Number 10 gets under way.

A YouGov poll taken on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning found the foreign secretary would beat the former chancellor by 62% to 38% among those who would vote. This is a 24 percentage point lead, up from a 20 point lead two days previously. 

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-live-updates-another-tory-candidate-facing-elimination-as-truss-responds-to-sunak-barb-12593360

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Thanks 1