Thailand's cannabis policy comes under fire

webfact

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

Absolutely. No reason to study the results of legalization in other countries.

Now, about those 'wheel' and 'fire' things I see other tribes using. Both must be more thoroughly studied (in a vacuum) before we make any rash decisions.

Safety first! Until then these so-called innovations should be illegal with severe penalties,even  death, imposed for using them prematurely.

I guess they could have started with California?

Studies Show Car Accidents Spike After Marijuana Legalization

Car Accidents Increase in Wake of Marijuana Legalization, New Studies Reveal

36 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm not going to engage in endless back and forth bickering with you. I have no idea what post you are referring to. You have - (uh-oh, could this be a symptom of being high?)- clearly miss-attributed or miss-remembered whatever you are talking about. You're successfully hectoring anyone who doesn't agree with you, but don't confuse that with winning the debate.

He is 100% on target Many of us recall that dialog posting too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Where I come from, you would get filled in and called a racist.

Just calling it as it is.

What woke country did you crawl out of? You have no idea what a racist is. Besides you are now not where you come from. You are in Thailand. For the record there is nothing more vile than racism with the one exception of some virtual signaling woke <deleted> playing the racist card indiscriminately.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pattayaorganic said:

What woke country did you crawl out of? You have no idea what a racist is. Besides you are now not where you come from. You are in Thailand. For the record there is nothing more vile than racism with the one exception of some virtual signaling woke <deleted> playing the racist card indiscriminately.  

and you have no idea on how to read?

Did you not try to read my earlier post which tells you where I'm from?

Is it too difficult for you to understand?

Do you honestly believe that you could hang around places like Winson Green, Aston, Handsworth, etc. and make fun of the way that black people talk without repercussions?

Bless your misunderstanding of racism..

Bless your childlike nativity.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She said the government should have studied the consequences of such a move and closed any loopholes before going ahead with the legalization.

She does know that that is completely impossible in Thailand, doesn't she? It means thinking something through, thoroughly, before acting, and that is an entirely alien concept here.

• Like 1

What about the economy? It is saving their economy and now couldn’t survive without it under the circumstances. “The regulation should be set in place that we only allow medicinal and therapeutic uses in Thailand," Sarana said. What’s the difference? This is yet another TVF cannabis misinformation article grasping at straws by quoting any crockpot against it who have no power over it. 

Edited by JimboB4

48 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

He is 100% on target Many of us recall that dialog posting too!

Are you talking about this post?

@Bert got kinky made some wild accusation that I had "previously

made a post in which I 'invented' symptoms of 3 boys that I determined were stoned.

You did your best to back-track but you were called out and your lie was shown."

This is obviously not what I said in this post. If you're referring to some other post that I allegedly made, dig it out of my posting history, or apologize. @Bert got kinky

Edited by Gecko123

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hmmm... insurers in cannabis-legal states have reduced premiums compared to non-legal states. The conclusion was reduced MVAs. As their bottom line depends on precise actuarial assessment i tend to believe them more than govt sources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

What tripe he is being spewed? Are you saying that pot smokers are known for being big spenders, that pot has no impact on cognitive functions, driving ability, productivity, etc?

Look, guys, it's obvious that there's unbridled support on this forum for the legalization initiative, but please stop acting like it's all rainbows and butterflies, because it's not.

I predict that there's going to be some serious blow back from law enforcement, educators, parents, the medical profession as well as people who might suffer from the behavior of someone who is intoxicated. My sense is that this has happened so quickly that there are a lot of people who are scared to be the first to stick their heads above the parapet out of fear of getting on the wrong side of the politically powerful.

The FACTS are that Thailand's on-the-road traffic enforcement and legal infrastructure for detecting, apprehending, and punishing people for driving under the influence is very weak, and that it will be next to impossible to control the growing and consumption of marijuana in rural areas by young people. That isn't fabricated and uninformed hysteria. These are concerns that everyone should share. Certainly, Thailand's dangerous roads, which are constantly lamented on this forum, should be a major concern to us all.

Uh...no.

I have lived long enough to see the Canadian Minister of Justice present the case for Legalization of Cannabis to the Canadian Senate. One of his arguments was that Canada already had the highest percentage of adult use in the world.. That Government policy and public opinion were at odds.

As regards to underage use, he pointed out that they were obtaining it easily as there were no constraints on the "black" market. As opposed to Federal oversight and regulation.. That still left the product easily available to of-age consumers..

As regards your concerns for road safety, there was in Canada a companion Bill which sought to provide penalties for impaired driving due to use of Cannabis.

That Bill did not pass. Government was unable to provide scientific proof that Cannabis caused impairment. That, and the scientific fact that there is at present no way to test for how impaired an individual might be at that moment.

Bottom line, it's pretty hard to tell if someone is "impaired" by Cannabis. Unlike the real enemy of road safety, alcohol. Widely consumed with no social taboo. Unless you are a member of a religious faith that proscribes the use of alcohol. There are several of those..

12 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Hmmm... insurers in cannabis-legal states have reduced premiums compared to non-legal states. The conclusion was reduced MVAs. As their bottom line depends on precise actuarial assessment i tend to believe them more than govt sources.

Glad to hear you believe the insurers as the studies are not from Gov sources, try reading both my links, this one from the very insurers you speak about:

"A study released earlier this year from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) confirmed that car crash rates “spiked” in correlation with the legalization of recreational marijuana in certain states."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Are you talking about this post?

@Bert got kinky made some wild accusation that I had "previously

made a post in which I 'invented' symptoms of 3 boys that I determined were stoned.

You did your best to back-track but you were called out and your lie was shown."

This is obviously not what I said in this post. If you're referring to some other post that I allegedly made, dig it out of my posting history, or apologize. @Bert got kinky

OK, I have checked through earlier posts and confirm that I do indeed owe you an apology.

The post in question was made by another poster with the same views on Cannabis as yourself, which led to my confusion.

However, no excuses, I was wrong.

I am sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand should start a campaign to educate young travellers about the surrounding countries

attitude towards cannabis. I know about a recent case where a 20 something was nabbed at the airport in Bali, coming from Bangkok with 2.5 grams. As everyone knows, Indonesia sees any drug offence as very serious and for larger ammounts it can mean death penalty.

There should be a campaign to educate people travelling abroad to get rid of all cannabis

before boarding an international flight.

12 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Thailand should start a campaign to educate young travellers about the surrounding countries

attitude towards cannabis. I know about a recent case where a 20 something was nabbed at the airport in Bali, coming from Bangkok with 2.5 grams. As everyone knows, Indonesia sees any drug offence as very serious and for larger ammounts it can mean death penalty.

There should be a campaign to educate people travelling abroad to get rid of all cannabis

Why should Thailand be responsible to educate tourists about other countries laws? You wrote "everyone knows" so there you have it.

Also, one must be really dumb to take cannabis from country to country, even if the use of cannabis is legal in both countries. I know I wouldn't travel with cannabis from here to Amsterdam or the other way around. Will you?

• Like 1

Personally I'm a lot more worried about having stoned buffaloes wandering across the highways, chickens flying into trees to lay eggs, and soi dogs smiling sleepily instead of chasing motorbikes - whatever next!

Caffpture.JPG

32 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Its called common knowledge

• Like 1

I was expecting a few Irate prohibitionists  to be active today......The ale's off    How delightfully ironic ! The authorities have decided that the sale of your " dangerous drug if abuse" is not allowed today,   How does that feel ?  Oh and you had all better stock up as I think there's another dry day coming up shortly

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

You and a few others seem obsessed with road safety, You all knew what Thailand was like yet you still came to live here, and now you moan incessantly about something you can't change. Its a kind of impotent rage

. Your statistics , and studies etc. are as usual cherry picked to further your arguments, but there are just as many "studies and statistics" that contradict yours. Furthermore  I haven't noticed a surge in cannabis related driving accidents or deaths, reported  and I watch a lot of Thai news, If there had been a single incident where cannabis was even suspected of being a contributory factor the press would have been all over it , and the fact is there hasn't been, has there ? So far your predictions have all failed to materialise haven't they?

Other than the somewhat unbelievable story about a guy who cut his penis off some six months ago,  the pitiful sight of a fat drunk man getting "assisted" on the beach after feeling weird . and a couple of sickly kids, Oh and the bloke who died from heart complications with No THC in his blood  there has been very little of the hell on earth scenario that you and you kind told us was coming our way

So would you like to apologise now , for the disruptive behaviour of your self and others like you, not to me or to the other pro cannabis members on here who knew what you were preaching was utter rubbish, but to other maybe less worldly wise people who may have believed ,been unnerved, and worse still, possibly formed opinions based on , the rubbish you continually post regarding this subject 

I have no idea what you're talking about and I certainly have no need to apologise to you or anyone else for posting a range of studies each of which come to the same conclusions that road traffic accidents increased in California.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Why should Thailand be responsible to educate tourists about other countries laws? You wrote "everyone knows" so there you have it.

Also, one must be really dumb to take cannabis from country to country, even if the use of cannabis is legal in both countries. I know I wouldn't travel with cannabis from here to Amsterdam or the other way around. Will you?

I actually got this idea from posters I have seen inside many Coffee shops in Amsterdam, advising

people to get rid of all cannabis before boarding an international flight.

• Like 1