Most Thais observe religious events: Survey

snoop1130

4b336d3c929f61d7056449e486d39dfd_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A recent government survey shows most Buddhist people in Thailand intend to participate in religious activities throughout this month’s holidays, with some hoping events can be held online.

The Ministry of Culture has revealed the results from its survey on the general public’s perception of the Asalha Puja and the Beginning of Buddhist Lent holidays, observed by the Buddhist community. The survey, conducted in conjunction with Suan Dusit Poll, shows that 59.93% of the respondents intended to participate in ceremonies and activities.

68.44% of children, youth, and the general public who participated in the survey understood the importance of Asalha Puja Day as the day Lord Buddha gave his first sermon.

For Buddhist Lent Day, 77.79% of the respondents recognized this day as the start of the lent period, during which Buddhist monks are prohibited from spending nights outside of their monastery or temple grounds.

The respondents said the five activities they were most likely to observe were merit-making, almsgiving, abstaining from vices, candlelight processions at temples, and sermons. The respondents also wished for events to be held both in-person and online.

These results go in line with the Ministry of Culture’s intention to conserve Thai traditions. The ministry aims to create economic value with local cultures at the center.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-07-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

To gain a better life after death?  Went to the wat on Wednesday - it looked like 98% were female. All were carrying food for the dogs.

I thought they brought food for the monks?

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't think my kid had any choice in the matter as she was marched off with the rest if the class to the temple.

My wife is buddhist and may put something on the 'in-house shelf' but she wont go out of her way to go to some temple

Mine went twice... early morning, I think she feeds the monks or is having an affair, and then again at 7pm to do the candle thing, or is having an affair!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

I wish their personal  actions in life would coincide with their religious beliefs. 

How do they not?  If you do something bad, go to the temple and give the monks something to make up for it, hence the unlikelihood of ever witnessing any personal accountability in Thailand. ????‍♂️

Judging by the number of people from Bangkok driving around Pattaya yesterday and shopping, they must be awfully devout to travel all that way. And I never knew you could give alms in Index, who'd have thought, lol?

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2022 at 6:06 PM, snoop1130 said:

A recent government survey shows most Buddhist people in Thailand intend to participate in religious activities throughout this month’s holidays,

Correct, a near neighbour has been participating heavily for four days now...

he should recover in time to get hammered again on 28th.

• Haha 1