‘Tourism fee’, now for all travellers to Thailand, ready to launch

webfact

Im a firm believer in travel insurance and am always very well insured . I don’t see why it should not be made mandatory for all tourists. I say tourists, not expats, as it’s very often tourists that get into jet ski and bike accidents, drunken  fights , diving accidents , rip tides, etc. Of course you have a few expats who don’t plan their old age, but the ones that hit the headlines are very often tourists., A good travel insurance is very reasonably priced. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I just "fake" booked a trip from Bangkok to San Francisco on an  Asian airlines and the website did not ask me my nationality or passport information.  Unless they ask after you give them the credit card information...which I didn't give them, of course.

Then I "fake" booked a trip from Bangkok to New York on an US Airlines and the website did not ask me my nationality or passport information.

So I don't see how this is going to work.  Either everyone pays the 300 baht or they will have to collect as we are getting off the plane going through immigration.  ????  And I don't think immigration is going to want to do that, maybe.????

Rubbish, anyone looking at flights does this to see the airline conditions and costs.  It’s when you validate your flight choice and go onto payment that you have to input your details. You think they let you book a flight  without passport or credit card details ?? Really ??

7 minutes ago, geisha said:

Rubbish, anyone looking at flights does this to see the airline conditions and costs.  It’s when you validate your flight choice and go onto payment that you have to input your details. You think they let you book a flight  without passport or credit card details ?? Really ??

Also, the 300 Baht will be added if and when  it is published in the Royal Gazette in approximately 90:days.,

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The planned 300-baht tourism fee is now expected to apply to all foreigners without exception, serving as insurance coverage of up to 500,000 baht per person in case of accidents.

Love to see that happen when the first victim lays in hospital and a bill is produced.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rebo said:

They have. The first 30 days after arrival.

????

There are those who are required to have Insurance for their extensions of stay like those on O-A Visa extensions, or even those that have an ME O-A Visa. Those like myself already have to have insurance, so in essence it's a fee that's being charged to them, us, without the need of the 300 baht insurance which is now becoming mandatory, in effect a dual fee.....stupid.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Looks like a money grab. Having said that, at least they say they provide something as opposed to nothing, albeit most tourists will already have proper insurance. Will they pay though?

Also think for every 300 baht they make off of unsuspecting tourists, they’ll lose on the next one who was going to drop 100k in the kingdom but decides to go elsewhere. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

while coverage for any damage caused by emotional distress cannot exceed 20,000 baht, said the ministry.

Will that cover people trying to get a one year extension in that 30 day period ? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:
19 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I just "fake" booked a trip from Bangkok to San Francisco on an  Asian airlines and the website did not ask me my nationality or passport information.  Unless they ask after you give them the credit card information...which I didn't give them, of course.

Then I "fake" booked a trip from Bangkok to New York on an US Airlines and the website did not ask me my nationality or passport information.

So I don't see how this is going to work.  Either everyone pays the 300 baht or they will have to collect as we are getting off the plane going through immigration.  ????  And I don't think immigration is going to want to do that, maybe.????

Expand  

Well I checked again and I got to  Buy now without giving them my passport.  2004093043_ScreenShot2022-07-16at8_28_53AM.png.0193c67b1bbf1c13835119cbe78034cb.png

So unless the airlines has a second buy now for the additional 300 THB, it isn't going to work.  Imagine buying a 54,000 THB airline  ticket and then going to the next page and the airlines asking for another 300 THB because you are not Thai.

You try getting money from an insurance company for any accident you may  be involved in,  in racist corrupt Thailand...

A Farang  getting money  from a Thai,         insurance company or not 

Yesterday I had to leave Thailand and buy tickets to Europe...

A flight to Helsinki and back was 78k baht. After I revived from shock and decided to buy, there were no tickets on this certain date anymore, on the next day there were no economy tickets. To make story short, the system offered me a ticket for 99k baht.

My question: is 300 baht already included in the return ticket??!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Scam !! Theft.!!! wash your mouth out sir this is Tourist friendly Thailand 

I said what I said and absolutely maintain it. Oh! I forgot to mention the double pricing. I am  not a "sir" nor am I a tourist and i am definitely not taking any body hygiene instructions from strangers.

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It however only covers a traveler for 30 days. Expats etc. who stay longer than 30 days have no use for it.

Unless you get yourself embroiled in a riot within those 30 days.

But here's an idea: Just land, go through immigration, grab a taxi and ask your driver to take you straight to the next riot. There always is at least one going on somewhere. Once you're done, file your claims. Could be a nice little earner. Fly to Singapore or Malaysia for a few thousand baht, stay a couple of nights, return to Thailand, and collect up to half a mill. Rinse and repeat every 30 days.

• Haha 2

is there going to be anything in writing available to the tourist on arrival proving that they have this insurance? will the Thai hospitals direct bill the Gov't? how will be be able to prove that we have this insurance?

54 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Unless you get yourself embroiled in a riot within those 30 days.

But here's an idea: Just land, go through immigration, grab a taxi and ask your driver to take you straight to the next riot. There always is at least one going on somewhere. Once you're done, file your claims. Could be a nice little earner. Fly to Singapore or Malaysia for a few thousand baht, stay a couple of nights, return to Thailand, and collect up to half a mill. Rinse and repeat every 30 days.

Such a forward thinker...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So….

1. foreigner entry fee

2. foreigner hotel “surcharge” 

3. 1000% foreigner national park fee

4. tourist attractions foreigner extra charge 

coming soon:

5 foreigner restaurant surcharge 200%?

Quite so, its like they really don't want foreigners in Thailand.?

I already have accident insurance in Thailand but i will have to pay 300 baht every time i come back to the country.  Certain Thais are going to get SERIOUSLY rich from this latest scam because you can guarantee the money is not going to be directed where they say it will. Another hub for Thailand, government scams

On 7/15/2022 at 4:04 AM, KhunLA said:

They need to put the $100k USD / 3mill baht plan back in service for all arrivals.

No they don’t, all they need to do is ensure that any traveler coming here has full homeland issued health insurance in place and if they don’t have it they don’t get in.

I have £10,000,000 health cover for any eventuality so why the cluck do I need there stupid 300baht insurance which does not cover most everyday incidents.

Further more it is illegal to hold two insurance policies for the same cover and could be construed as tantamount to attempted fraud, and in turn giving the insurance companies an easy out regarding payouts, with the end result being total defeat of the imposition this bunch are trying to impose on everybody.

Do you want to take that chance?

I clucking don’t. But they are going to force me to IF I COME BACK HERE

On 7/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, ThailandRyan said:

That is food for thought.  When you buy a ticket does it ask for nationality? If it does why not put Thai in the drop down box.....is that how they will be charging the extra 300 Thb, or will every traveler pay it regardless.....

They invariably ask for passport info at some point, so you cannot use that dodge. Furthermore other info is available. The excuse that they must charge " all foreigners" the same is a crock. Pretty easy to differentiate resident expats from 30 day actual tourists on the basis of passport info, e.g. a number of consecutive non-immigrant renewals offers a clue. It would require a bit of programming, however, which Thai authorities seem reluctant to pay for qualified IT folks, e.g. the ongoing problems with  90 day reporting on line. I have done it a couple of times now, so it works, but there are still a couple of items that cannot be entered that show on the form.

23 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

You did not actually book anything. I have booked a number of times to USA, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos, etc, and before "dropping the hammer" had to supply passport info for myself and my Thai relatives for whom I was also making reservations.

Edited by Kwaibill
  • Like 2