‘Tourism fee’, now for all travellers to Thailand, ready to launch

webfact

7 minutes ago, DezLez said:

That will not work according to the main article;

"Mr Mongkon said exemptions for certain groups cannot be implemented as airline ticketing systems have to embed the fee, and airfares only recognise passenger information listed in passports.  As a result, the fee collection will apply to all entrants who are not Thai citizens, regardless of nationality or visa type, he said."

Missed that ....

• Like 1

300 baht that peanuts, recently i have been slugged for $3000 AUD for 2 weeks quarantine back in February 21 from NSW revenue department, something i had no knowledge about staying in a 3 star dump with bad food in Sydney, and now you have no choice but to pay the extortion or they will find a way to make you pay...

So...this will be in affect for Ex-pats as well.  So I am now covered for any accident sickness up to 500,000 baht ....Yes ???....is that just for the year ?  But only for air arrivals -- ??

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

only 20% of those 300b (so only 60b) goes for insurance.

Much more goes to the fee collecting service - they got 30% commission so 90b.

The rest 50% is 150b and that goes for tourism development.

This accident insurance for 30 days covering up to 500k might be a good deal for some travellers, but now days most have their own health insurance, travel insurance and even separate accident insurance - which all cover accidents and with higher cover, in millions of baht or even $ and euros.

So this up tom 500k cover will be divided between different insurers, one including tourism ministry fund.

As this policy will allow only hospitalisation at the government hospitals, which are very reasonably priced, those insurance claims will be rather low, in tens of thousands in the great majority of cases.

Cost of orthopedic operation in thailand is around 100k, hospital stay is from 1350 to 2000b, so even serious accident with a month hospitalisation might be only some 150k total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jvs said:

What about the small letters?

Riding a motorbike?Doing a dangerous sport like walking in a soi and being chased by dogs?

Will this discourage people from buying real travel insurance?

Imaging 20 million people coming to Thailand,you do the math.

A nice little earner i say.

some thai issued accident policies do exclude moto accidents driving. Likely it also won't be included in this policy.

Travel insurance covers also health, so it's entirely to traveller if he gets separate policy.

Even regular health insurance have some international coverage for emergency treatments and for accidents. Probably many americans do have health insurance which would cover them in thailand, but not that many europeans have any health insurance

Edited by internationalism

25 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

So...this will be in affect for Ex-pats as well.  So I am now covered for any accident sickness up to 500,000 baht ....Yes ???....is that just for the year ?  But only for air arrivals -- ??

read the article, good for 30 days several illnesses will be excluded

17 minutes ago, internationalism said:

As this policy will allow only hospitalisation at the government hospitals, which are very reasonably priced,

If that is so what if you are not taken to a Government hospital? What will happen to the insurance and or bills?

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Back in the US where I'm from, people are paying $4.59 for one Big Freak'n Burrito and $6.59 for an order of Mucho Nachos. Things cost so much there that 300 baht is going to seem like chump change.

Maybe, but it makes a difference, whether you pay money for your food or for 'nothing' (meaning a corrupt government).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is food for thought.  When you buy a ticket does it ask for nationality? If it does why not put Thai in the drop down box.....is that how they will be charging the extra 300 Thb, or will every traveler pay it regardless.....

It’s based on your passport. Names must match. Even more so now than before. I had one ticket that was missing my middle name. That seemed to be a big problem. 

• Like 1