Issuing arrest warrants for persistent non-payers of traffic fines not OTT but a safety matter, says courts rep

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The spokesman for the courts of justice has essentially backed up plans that the Royal Thai Police have to ultimately arrest persistent traffic offenders who don't pay fines. 

ASEAN NOW reported in the last few days how the RTP will seek arrest warrants after summonses have been exhausted. 

Spokesman Sorawit Limprangsee told Siam Rath that the courts would normally only issue arrest warrants for crimes where the punishment is more than 3 years in prison.

In the case of non-payment of fines he surmised that the RTP would use a clause of "fleeing from justice" so they could arrest people for persistent refusal to pay. 

Thus they would be able to seek a warrant for a crime which had a custodial sentence of less than 3 years. 

Sorawit stated that some see non-payment of fines as a trivial issue and not something the courts should issue arrest warrants for.

But it is not just about the money it is about public safety too and some of the worst offenders on the roads could cause accidents and injury to others so it is understandable that the police should want to use every means possible to bring them to book. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sorawit stated that some see non-payment of fines as a trivial issue and not something the courts should issue arrest warrants for.

Probably the same people that were outraged at the death of the pretty doctor on the zebra crossing.

"Oh my.  Someone else should make sure that other people are not allowed to get away with this, while I continue to do whatever I want!"

• Like 2

Truth to be told, if the police were doing their job properly and according to the law, almost every driver/rider on Thai roads would and should have been issued with traffic infringements tickets, the way Thai drivers flaunt the road's rules is shocking to say the least, (I'm one of the i ashamed to admit)   

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Truth to be told, if the police were doing their job properly and according to the law, almost every driver/rider on Thai roads would and should have been issued with traffic infringements tickets, the way Thai drivers flaunt the road's rules is shocking to say the least, (I'm one of the i ashamed to admit)   

Are you suggesting that a police officer should follow EVERY driver?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you suggesting that a police officer should follow EVERY driver?

Well, I stay alive here by assuming that every driver of every vehicle of any kind that I see while I'm walking is out to kill me, so I'd say yes.

• Sad 1

Just shows that there is BNO SYSTEM in place to do enforce road safety in Thailand.

Who will they chase? the owner? the Driver? the keeper?

Looks like any enforcement is going to be inconsistent to the point of fiasco.

• Confused 1

Thailand must have one of the most inept police forces in the world.  They are corrupt to the point of criminally negligent as can be seen by the daily death toll.  If they got off their collective <deleted> and confiscated 1000 vehicles a month, they would eradicate dangerous drivers (even the slow learning Thais) within a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thailand must have one of the most inept police forces in the world.  They are corrupt to the point of criminally negligent as can be seen by the daily death toll.  If they got off their collective <deleted> and confiscated 1000 vehicles a month, they would eradicate dangerous drivers (even the slow learning Thais) within a year.

It is perhaps about perspective. They really appear not to want to give their own people a hard time nor persecute them.... but taking money from foreign tourists is much loved!

and this is how the traffic in Thailand becomes safer ...  enforce the rules      of course this is step one of many  ..(hopefully)          

cant wait till dui becomes the top