Emergency Generator

THAIPHUKET

"Emergency" for me means keeping the fridge(s), few lights, wifi, water pump and security system running, but definitely no AC, pool pump, washing machine etc. That would reduce output needed and cost considerably 

• Like 2

We like to continue life as normal when the PEA has decided that we don't actually need power.

So our baby 6kVA unit runs everything except the water heaters and big irrigation pumps. It even runs our two inverter A/Cs without blinking (12,000 and 24,000 BTU units).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

What's your preferred fuel? Petrol gensets are cheaper than diesel but burn a more expensive fuel.

But petrol is a lot quieter. My eclectic rarely goes off all day, normally 2-3 hours max, as long as i have a floor fan 50w, TV 50w, Internet, I can survive, with just a 500w inverter run from my car. I have isolated the electrics in one room with a simple on/off switch so i can run my electrics from the inverter. I also got the router moved into that room, at no cost from TOT. 

Worth looking at LP gas/propane, both diesel and petrol can go bad and cause issues with starting and running and maintenance, LP does not have that problem and carburetor stays clean, also oil stays clean longer. Had a 20KW in USA run from natural gas, in 10 years had no issues, also had a 200 amp transfer panel. Still looking for one here 5 to 6 KW duel fuel but in Sattahip we have not had a lot of issues with power. Back up generator is on the wish list here...