Russian oligarch arrives in Samui on 3.9 billion baht super yacht - Thai media laps it up but eyebrows raised elsewhere

webfact

1 minute ago, sead said:

Exactly. There's no written statement. Only words from those involved. Not everything was written down at those times. Now we know how important that is

You'll have to do better than that if you're going to make these wild claims. Nothing of what you claim was in the agreement makes any sense in any case. 40 years ago? 1982, right? What actually happened was the Berlin wall came down and with it the Soviet Union. West and East Germany subsequently reunited. Absolutely nothing to do with any agreement with Russia, just their absence that made it possible.

46 minutes ago, sead said:

Think USA put more into Vietnam than Russia into Ukraine. Me not think USA won the war. Do you

If there is a point to your post, it escapes me.

The lesson for both countries is when you mess with an indigenous population, it can turn out badly. Just like Russia is re-acquainting itself with the lessons of Afghanistan.

Unless Russia can conquer the whole of Ukraine, it is screwed. Because the Ukrainians will be a bleeding sore on the Russian flank, depleting their armory and killing their soldiers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

His invasion was not about NATO expansion, if you believe this you have no idea and carried out little research into why he attacked Ukraine

What? The only reason was because USA and NATO was giving Ukraine hints of a possible membership and Russia didn't want USA on their doorsteps.  If you believe something else then better stop reading propaganda news supporting USA and NATO in all their doings. This war could have stopped before it started by Jelensky. But USA pushed this and now people are dying. Ukraine could have waited 10 years and build up their Economy and slowly get stronger and stronger. Making small and steady deals with EU. NATO isn't UN OR FN. It's an military organization that benefits 4 countries. Among those is USA. Meaning everyone has to pay for protection. While these 4 countries gets stronger and stronger by developing better weapons the supporting countries are getting weaker

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

If there is a point to your post, it escapes me.

The lesson for both countries is when you mess with an indigenous population, it can turn out badly. Just like Russia is re-acquainting itself with the lessons of Afghanistan.

Unless Russia can conquer the whole of Ukraine, it is screwed. Because the Ukrainians will be a bleeding sore on the Russian flank, depleting their armory and killing their soldiers.

I think that the Russians are now just waiting for a ceasefire deal. So they can retract to the buffert zone. Then bargaining to retract from the buffert zone after assurances that Ukraine will not apply for an NATO membership.

Apart from all your valid views, I just wonder how and why my best Thai friends think the way they do about this very far away WAR.
In spite of this classical war of agression, breaking all the UN basic rules, destroying the livelihood of millions and killing innumerable innocent Ukrainiens (and Russians),

they still search for pseudo - arguments for all these crimes.
These Thai friends of mine, who have '0' knowledge about foreign history, geography and current affairs, seem to have a bizarre opinion about that WAR.

I cannot understand the Thai Government Propaganda on TV. Could this be the reason? 

1 minute ago, sead said:

I think that the Russians are now just waiting for a ceasefire deal. So they can retract to the buffert zone. Then bargaining to retract from the buffert zone after assurances that Ukraine will not apply for an NATO membership.

You may be right. However, the Ukrainians already know Putin cannot be relied on to stick to a deal. In return for giving up its nuclear arsenal, Russia guaranteed Ukrainian sovereignty.  Then invaded Crimea in 2014.

No doubt Putin wants the Donbas as one of the most productive parts of Ukraine. Whether the Ukrainians will agree to that is a different question, they seem to be quite content with killing Russians.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:23 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Confiscate

Impound 

Seize 

All their assets 

Check all their belongings, tax them heavily. 

Chop, chop 

You seem to forget, that a only a small minority of countries voted in favor of sanctions. AFAIK, in Asia only 2: Japan and South Korea. Apart from those only USA, Europe (except of cause Russia and Serbia, Belarus) and Australia, NZ …. a tiny part of the world population.

What would you have said, if in the course of Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, Iraq, …, others would have confiscated the even more expensive super yachts from Jeff Bezos or Larry Ellison ?

Edited by Bernietravelling

24 minutes ago, Bernietravelling said:

What would you have said, if in the course of Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, Iraq, …, others would have confiscated the even more expensive super yachts from Jeff Bezos or Larry Ellison ?

Another poster who does not understand Bezos and Ellison do not have their fortunes linked to any political leader, whereas the oligarchs who exist at Putin's gift certainly do.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Another poster who does not understand Bezos and Ellison do not have their fortunes linked to any political leader, whereas the oligarchs who exist at Putin's gift certainly do.

Naah. Arms dealers pushing for softer gunrules financing, sorry donating to senators to push isn't the same lol. Meaning that the elected president has been financed.. sorry donated alot of money for his ideology. 

• Thanks 1

Ty all. It was most interesting to hear different views on this topic. I am at work and could not answer all comment so I will let this be my last post on this topic. See you on next ????

5 hours ago, sead said:

Russia only want a buffert zone which they now have. And don't give sh,,t about rest of UKRAINE

Is that why a TOL headline today reads "Russia 'ready to annex more of Ukraine'?"

Edited by Tropicalevo

2 hours ago, sead said:

It's called strategy. Waiting for a deal to not advance

Nope you've not been paying attention, latest statement and this is only what they are admitting to:

Lavrov said that while Moscow's aim remains the same - "denazification and demilitarisation" of Ukraine -- the "geography" has changed since Istanbul talks between Moscow and Kyiv in March 2022.

image.jpeg.05860d57ccacd536fe4b2e82fbdc7e91.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nope you've not been paying attention, latest statement and this is only what they are admitting to:

Lavrov said that while Moscow's aim remains the same - "denazification and demilitarisation" of Ukraine -- the "geography" has changed since Istanbul talks between Moscow and Kyiv in March 2022.

image.jpeg.05860d57ccacd536fe4b2e82fbdc7e91.jpeg

It's called strategy. Do you expect them to say that they are making a buffert zone.

2 minutes ago, sead said:

It's called strategy. Do you expect them to say that they are making a buffert zone.

Yes a strategy for the real aim of taking over taking over the whole of Ukriane, this from the Kremilin:

"There is “no historical basis” for the “idea of Ukrainian people as a nation separate from the Russians.”

However its not going to work and nobody is ignorant enough to believe their statements.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:08 AM, moogradod said:

Did you read the small print ? It says charter rate plus expenses. 750 Grand per week would have been a bargain (or is it ?) - but who knows how much the expenses would be. Gasoline, Crew, Food, Drink, any special extras ......

Better to free the guy from his worries - confiscate - chop chop

The weekly charter rate comes to about $75 per minute.  Perhaps a group of us could chip in for 10 minutes worth so we could take selfies on board. 

22 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The weekly charter rate comes to about $75 per minute.  Perhaps a group of us could chip in for 10 minutes worth so we could take selfies on board. 

Couldn't we just seize it for the Forum?

And fill it to the gunnels with Thai ladies.

See how far we get before it runs out of juice.

How nice.

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, worgeordie said:

The cheeky bugg..., Oligarch is flying what looks like the red ensign off

the rear of the ship,

This is because it is registered in London, and the owners businesses are also  based.   London welcomes inwards inversments ????

On 7/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, sead said:

Think USA put more into Vietnam than Russia into Ukraine. Me not think USA won the war. Do you

Words like "win" and "lost" are easily thrown around with no real meaning at all.

What is Russia destroys Ukraine to the tune of 10 trillion USD to rebuild and then Russia leaves and "loses".    LOL.   Sure, Ukraine won.  Whatever.   

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comments removed