Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew new location

EricTh

I went to the Bangkok Bank at Chang Phuak branch today and confirmed that all the bank accounts from Kad Suan Kaew have been moved here when I asked the bank officer there.

I did a quick scan of the staff and the only familiar face is the KSK manager (can't remember his name) standing there.

The location of this branch is just opposite the Chang Phuak bus station, this branch is more spacious than the old KSK branch.

I could hardly see any westerners there unlike KSK.

Edited by EricTh

I think you can go to just about any Bangkok Bank branch that you want.

I was in Airport Plaza about a week ago and popped into the Bangkok Bank there to change the phone number on my account.  No problem whatsoever.  

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 8:08 PM, EricTh said:

I went to the Bangkok Bank at Chang Phuak branch today

On 7/18/2022 at 8:08 PM, EricTh said:

The location of this branch is just opposite the Chang Phuak bus station

Last time I looked it was 70-100 meters South of the bus station on Chang Puak Road.

• Like 2

Was just about to ask. At least I know where KSK manager and my accounts had been moved to

Was worried it would be somewhere far, but Airport Plaza would have been OK. Will pop in maybe next month. Do account holders have to get new bank deposit books or anything?

Edited by Captain Monday

31 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Was just about to ask. At least I know where KSK manager and my accounts had been moved to

Was worried it would be somewhere far, but Airport Plaza would have been OK. Will pop in maybe next month. Do account holders have to get new bank deposit books or anything?

Your account, mine, and thousands of others who regularly banked at Kad Suen Kaew, did NOT have our accounts 'moved.'  They were never 'at' Kad Suen Kaew. Since the day we opened them, our accounts have been in the central Bangkok Bank computer. No matter which 'branch' of Bangkok Bank we walk into tomorrow, our account information will be available, and all banking transactions can be done. We do NOT need to locate a specific branch to find our accounts.

That said, it is nice to see familiar faces when we walk into a bank. I think it would be difficult to suddenly take 10-15 people and place them all together in another branch. Do they just fire the ones who were there before?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Do they just fire the ones who were there before?

It is my understanding that they all have been placed at various other branches.  In addition to Sombat at the Chang Puak branch, I think he said one or two others from KSK moved there.

• Like 1

Just noticed Bangkok Bank Sakon Nakhon Robinsons branch is shuttered.

I liked to do the banking there because parking, air-conditioning, and pleasant lunch afterwards.

Now its only in an old building with virtually no parking and the usual 45 minutes take a number wait. 

Oh well. 

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Your account, mine, and thousands of others who regularly banked at Kad Suen Kaew, did NOT have our accounts 'moved.'  They were never 'at' Kad Suen Kaew. Since the day we opened them, our accounts have been in the central Bangkok Bank computer. No matter which 'branch' of Bangkok Bank we walk into tomorrow, our account information will be available, and all banking transactions can be done. We do NOT need to locate a specific branch to find our accounts.

That said, it is nice to see familiar faces when we walk into a bank. I think it would be difficult to suddenly take 10-15 people and place them all together in another branch. Do they just fire the ones who were there before?

I know that.  Just imaginary numbers in a virtual box. Money itself but illusion and trust. 

If I had walked into the Nimman branch to ask for a new bank book or ATM card/other services they would say please go to Kad Suan Kaew branch.  Thus my simple  query didnt ask for a highbrow dissertation on the nature of financial reality but thanks.

Edited by Captain Monday

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If I had walked into the Nimman branch to ask for a new bank book or ATM card/other services they would say please go to Kad Suan Kaew branch.  Thus my simple  query didnt ask for a highbrow dissertation on the nature of financial reality but thanks.

What makes you think so?  When I wanted to add my wife's name to an account, we did it at a different branch, more convenient to us at the time. That involved getting a new bank book with both our names in it, and a new ATM card for her. They did NOT send us back to Kad Suan Kaew despite the fact that I usually did 99.9% of my banking there. They are 'branches,' not 'specialized divisions' of the bank.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

What makes you think so?  When I wanted to add my wife's name to an account, we did it at a different branch, more convenient to us at the time. That involved getting a new bank book with both our names in it, and a new ATM card for her. They did NOT send us back to Kad Suan Kaew despite the fact that I usually did 99.9% of my banking there. They are 'branches,' not 'specialized divisions' of the bank.

I think I think that, from previous experience of being denied. Maybe they don't like me.

I've been to drinks with a former manager of Nimman branch not sure if there still.

as a guest of my longest Thai friends had known him for years.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

What makes you think so?  When I wanted to add ... They did NOT send us back to Kad Suan Kaew ....

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I think I think that, from previous experience of being denied.

It has happened to me, also, .. twice in fact, when a couple of branches closer to my home replied, "No, you must do at KSK".   It is true; it does happen that way sometimes.  I can only conclude that it is the choice of the individual branches.

• Like 2

I have to disagree, by experience, with those who think that our accounts are somewhere in a kind of Bangkok Bank cloud. They are accessible indeed from any branch for most operations, but the actual paper records (eg photocopies of passport, residence certificates, and so on) are physically in one location - in the specific case if they were at KSK branch, they are now at the branch discussed in this thread and already mentioned in previous threads.

E.g., for those of us on retirement extension with 800k deposit, we need a letter from the bank before going to immigration at each renewal. My 800k fixed deposit was at KSK, they issued the orange passbook and the yearly letter. I went to the new location, they said they will issue said letter next time.

19 hours ago, Pronto2 said:

It has happened to me, also, .. twice in fact, when a couple of branches closer to my home replied, "No, you must do at KSK".   It is true; it does happen that way sometimes.  I can only conclude that it is the choice of the individual branches.

Or individual teller/employee.  Or specifically what it is you want to do. Or what documentation you have.

I can recall being sent to originating branch but more recently have been able to do things at other branches.

It seems to me that if a company was relocating part of its holdings, and requires its customers to know in the future where to go to handle transactions that they would have informed the customers of that fact. They certainly have our addresses on record. Simple to send out another boiler-plate letter telling us where we would need to go. A simple chart showing which branch one must use for which service (IF that really is required... Frankly, I haven't found it to be so.) Especially true for such an very important daily service such as banking. 

Edited by FolkGuitar

35 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

It seems to me that if a company was relocating part of its holdings, and requires its customers to know in the future where to go to handle transactions that they would have informed the customers of that fact. They certainly have our addresses on record. Simple to send out another boiler-plate letter telling us where we would need to go. A simple chart showing which branch one must use for which service (IF that really is required... Frankly, I haven't found it to be so.) Especially true for such an very important daily service such as banking. 

Yes but if they trim the trees every year they could not be building a tire shop this year.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:47 AM, Captain Monday said:

I know that.  Just imaginary numbers in a virtual box. Money itself but illusion and trust. 

No they would not have. You can get a bank book and ATM card and conduct any banking services at ANY branch.

7 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

SCB did send me a letter when they also closed down a branch at Lotus Ruamchok a while back but I haven't received any letter from Bangkok Bank yet.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, elektrified said:

No they would not have. You can get a bank book and ATM card and conduct any banking services at ANY branch.

Not any branches but some branches as can be seen from the experience of some members here.

The only exception is the yearly bank statement & letter for retirement purpose, I think that needs to be done at the home branch.

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

True for foreign currency deposits?  If so that is a change in just the past few years

at SCB.

Edited by Bill97

On 7/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I think you'll find that what they did was to open a new account in both your names.  You can't simply "add" a name to an existing account.  Check your old and new bankbooks to confirm if the account number is the same.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Not any branches but some branches as can be seen from the experience of some members here.

The only exception is the yearly bank statement & letter for retirement purpose, I think that needs to be done at the home branch.

It can be done at any branch. My "home" branch of Kasikorn Bank is in Bangkok. I haven't stepped foot in there in 16 years. But I can walk into the small Meechok branch and get a statement and Immigration letter any time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NancyL said:

I think you'll find that what they did was to open a new account in both your names.  You can't simply "add" a name to an existing account.  Check your old and new bankbooks to confirm if the account number is the same.

With respect, what they did was add my wife's name to the existing account. For two different accounts, actually, that we updated that day. The account numbers are the same for each pair.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, NancyL said:

The "home" branch does maintain paper files for each active account, so actual files were moved from Kad Suan Kaew to the Chang Puek branch.  Several employees, besides Sombat, were relocated to Chang Puek, but they've been involved in organizing the paper files "upstairs".  

Sombat assured me that no employees lost their jobs, but not all were relocated to Chang Puek branch.

In reality, most banking business for retail customers can be handled at any Bangkok Bank branch in the same region as their "home" branch, but when it comes to some services, they may be referred back to their "home" branch.

I agree, the Chang Puek branch seems very calm and quiet without many familiar faces, either among the staff or customers (I always saw someone I knew among the customers when visiting the KSK branch), but the easy parking and elevator (lift) to the main floor should be an attraction for some.

Wonderful service at KSK. Looking forward to seeing Khun Sombat and crew at Chang Phuak branch.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Wonderful service at KSK. Looking forward to seeing Khun Sombat and crew at Chang Phuak branch.

Do tell us your experience after the visit.

• 6 months later...

Is the address "125 Chang Phuak Road Sri Poom Muang District Chiang Mai 50200"? Sorry, I am in the USA and it seems my bank lost eft instructions that have been on file for years.  Details on the instructions need to provide the address of your Bangkok Bank Branch in Thailand for International ACH.

18 hours ago, just_Elaine said:

Is the address "125 Chang Phuak Road Sri Poom Muang District Chiang Mai 50200"? Sorry, I am in the USA and it seems my bank lost eft instructions that have been on file for years.  Details on the instructions need to provide the address of your Bangkok Bank Branch in Thailand for International ACH.

That's the correct address but it really doesn't matter for an ACH transfer - your account is with Bangkok Bank, not with a particular branch.  I think I used the Silom branch address for an ACH transfer to my account, an account I opened in CM.

As long as your account number is correct (and you use the BBL routing number), the money will end up in your Bangkok Bank account.  

Edited by TheAppletons