COVID Cases Spike After Long Holiday

snoop1130

e1d9579740bfba7aa4c030f4809d177c_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has reported that the number of COVID-19 patients relying on ventilators are on the rise in Thailand along with coronavirus-related deaths.

Thais celebrated Asarnha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent last Friday (15 July) with a Cabinet-declared holiday. Many departed for their home provinces or vacation destinations.

Following the long holiday, DDC Director-General Dr Opas Karnkawinpong said an increase in COVID-19 cases and deaths have been reported in Bangkok and other major cities nationwide. He added that the agency is currently closely monitoring the situation and is urging all hospitals to prepare their personnel and resources for an emergency.

From July 5-17, the average number of ventilator-dependent patients increased from 300 per day to 369 per day while the average number of daily fatalities increased from 16 to 21.

Dr Opas also reported an increase in fatalities among the elderly and those with underlying diseases who received their third COVID vaccination dose more than three months ago.

The DDC director-general said people infected with the Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variants reported experiencing sore throat, irritation and muscle and body aches. He advised those exhibiting any of the symptoms to test themselves immediately and seek medical care at their nearest hospital.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

One endless and monotonous cycle after another of hospitalizing the greater percentage that don't need to be......and creating numbers out of the blue.

There are certain people, not just in Thailand, but all over the world, who do not want this pandemic, that's if there even is a pandemic, to end for reasons which are mainly financial, and not just people in the medical profession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thais celebrated Asarnha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent last Friday (15 July) with a Cabinet-declared holiday. Many departed for their home provinces or vacation destinations.

Guess they didn't take adequate precautions when in the company of family or others.

23 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Nobody says that you won't get COVID when wearing masks.

However, you can minimize the chance of getting infected.

My friend comes into my mind again when reading your reply unfortunately. ????

22 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Silly. Nobody says that you won't get COVID when wearing masks.

However, you can minimize the chance of getting infected.

My friend comes into my mind again when reading your reply unfortunately. ????

Well maybe he can explain this to you ,

That as long as you have yours on ,you'll be just  fine and there's no reason to concern yourself about other people, as they  have chosen to  listen to all the experts' often conflicting  advice, and have weighed up the pro's and cons, no doubt done a full risk assessment , and then, and only then, and   bearing in mind the removal of the blanket mask mandate by the relevant authorities, have made a personal decision, as to whether or not to wear a mask , local regulations permitting of course ,,Some have chosen not to and that's  up to them, they are as entitled to their views as you are now that the mask mandate has ended.. The "authorities and so called experts" sanctioned that themselves, and you have to accept that ! Of course like I said you are entitled to wear yours, forever if you wish but you can't berate people for not choosing to do the same  Its really none of your business

I'm not an anti vaxxer I've had my 3 pfizers  but  I really couldn't nor shouldn't  care less whether other people choose to be vaccinated or not .I'm certainly not in a position to label somebody as " stupid" for not wanting to be its vaccinated . They have made their decision and I have made mine, their decision would be absolutely non of my business (or yours)

For what its worth I actually always wear a mask whenever required or expected and also whenever I'm around anyone else who is also wearing a mask, its not that I think I'm actually doing anything worth while or positive or polite, its just that I'd hate to run into somebody like you when i wasn't wearing one

Edited by onthedarkside
misinfo comment removed
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Eleven Seven said:

Why do doctors and nurses wear masks in hospitals? Just asking.

Usually only used to be in operating theatres and was to stop them dribbling into the open wounds. I can think of several other procedures that would create pretty awful smells too so i wouldn't blame them and  these days hospitals are dirty smelly places, and that's probably got something to do with it as well

Edited by Bday Prang

On 7/20/2022 at 1:50 AM, sawadee1947 said:

How true.

And though it's proven there are a lot of people - many here on this blog - who will deny the must to wear masks. 

A friend told me you can't fix stupidity. I admit he's right.????

Couldn't agree more with the last line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Where is your link? Masks do reduce transmission, quite significantly. Those links have been produced here many, many times. Links showing masks don't work have never been produced on this forum.

see @rattlesnakes comment nuff said 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, sawadee1947 said:

A friend told me you can't fix stupidity

i think you have proven that point over and over .     masks    hahahahaha

• Like 1

Serious condition hospitalizations from COVID in Thailand have increased 42% over the past month from 608 to 868 cases as of Friday, the highest number in the past month. (393 of those are unable to breathe on their own and have required intubation.)

New COVID deaths, 25 reported on Friday, was the second highest daily total of the past month.

Current total hospitalizations for COVID reached 11,624 on Friday, the highest total of the past month.

All the key COVID indicators for Thailand -- hospitalizations, serious condition hospitalizations and deaths -- are, and have been, on the upswing.

2022-07-22.thumb.jpg.7ae3a9a9075c2edc7d979159096066bd.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=30-days

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Actually I posted several on the page I am pasting below. You didn't bother to look at them the other day, maybe you should give it a try, it might help you get a bit of perspective on this issue.

the problem with the vehement vaxxers and maskers and distancers and lockdowners is that they are not KEEPING UP  with all the "new"  admissions about what works and what doesn't.

It is almost as if they have a very thick mask over the critical thinking part of the brain.... which needs a lot of fresh air and something to UNLOCK  a closed mind.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

???

Storms don't cause flu.

Don't be Karen.

Get your booster. 

You are absolutely correct storms do not cause flu,  but I think bad weather can be a contributing factor in the prevalence of the disease. That would be why the UK medical authorities roll out the flu vaccine at a certain time of the year, every year and also refer to a "flu season" and "seasonal flu" However  It was an incorrect choice of words on my behalf

You second comment advising me to "get your booster"  i find somewhat strange, I don't expect members on here to be issuing me or anybody else with medical "advice" ever !  and  what you wrote was more like an instruction.

As regards to my personal choice regarding vaccines, That's what it is , a personal choice,  I have had 3 shots and have had 2 doses of covid,  the real "covid", before vaccines were developed  and the joke called omicron, after i was 3 times vaccinated , Neither covid infection was of any significance, What a surprise eh.

As far as I am concerned that is enough vaccines for me.  Why would you even concern your self,  as long as you have had the vaccines you think you need, my vaccine status is of absolutely no consequence to you

I certainly don't need your unqualified medical advice  or the unqualified medical advice from any other member of this forum

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 2long said:

Sorry, but are we really supposed to believe that a significant number of people got seriously infected enough to need this treatment so quickly after becoming in contact with people due to travelling over the holiday!?

In its last detailed daily COVID deaths report publicly issued in early July -- before MoPH stopped making them public -- they reported the median time between COVID diagnosis and death for that day's new deaths.

The median time frame for that group of COVID deaths was 8 days from diagnosis to death.

4 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Unbelievable, eh? You should have seen the stuff some forum members were saying one year ago. Anyone questioning the Covid shots in any way was a crazed retard, a lesser being not worthy of living in society, destined to (and deserving) a miserable life of pain, suffering and worse…

The situation hasn't changed at all in that year.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2