We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years

webfact

4 hours ago, honcho said:

a global govt will give bill gates a raging hard on! all his life he has wanted to control the world.. i would rather die in the fires of hell than be locked on the couch eating bugs and playing with a tablet

Wow!  I think that is the deepest dive down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole I've ever seen.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, placeholder said:

You know this? Please share with us the source of your knowledge.

I do know that the quote can't be proven.  Just how did they know what happened in the past like 125,00 years ago.

• Confused 1

On 7/20/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bkk Brian said:

That pales into insignificance to the record temperatures being recorded throughout the world today, from your own wiki article article sub link.

image.png.efe9b94b3b5c99b1dbb7f739b32d7b73.png

... after it was fixed. The 1990 IPCC chart tells a far different picture. https://climateaudit.org/2012/10/09/the-afterlife-of-ipcc-1990-figure-7-1/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I just don't believe you!

I can't buy any scientific measuring equipment today, that was on sale 30 years ago.

Fair point. Even if the claim were true for the particular satellite, there was a major change from infrared to microwave sea surface temperature measurement which meant that data had to be 'merged', or in lay language, 'fixed'. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10872-005-5782-5

Similarly, Nasa explains how its data is
"... quality controlled, calibrated, remapped and merged to provide nearly Global coverage of equal-angle uniform observations."

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/metadata/landing-page/bin/iso?id=gov.noaa.ncdc:C00830

Sounds like a lot of 'fixing' of data.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

And you have data from across the globe to support such a bold claim? 

Modern Climate Change Is the Only Worldwide Warming Event of the Past 2,000 Years

New research finds that previous periods of warming and cooling driven by natural causes were regional shifts in temperature rather than global events

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/modern-climate-change-only-worldwide-warming-event-past-2000-years-180972719/

No evidence for globally coherent warm and cold periods over the preindustrial Common Era

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1401-2.epdf?

Consistent multidecadal variability in global temperature reconstructions and simulations over the Common Era

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0400-0.epdf?

5 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Then you haven't been paying attention. The World Economic Forum globalists even tell us of their plans - in detail - and you STILL think it's a conspiracy theory? You deserve what's coming.

But do we deserve the nonsense you're pushing? Got some actual evidence from these globalists to share with us?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

I do know that the quote can't be proven.  Just how did they know what happened in the past like 125,00 years ago.

Plenty of links to how proxy determinations of global temperature gets done have been offered. If you don't want to follow those links and learn something, well, that's what's called willful ignorance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The interview Paula Yates did with Buzz Aldrin (Big Breakfast circa mid 1990s, I was there), she suggested just that and he didn't punch her.

Nonetheless, it is a bit undignified calling someone a liar. This is the tactic employed by the alarmist mob when they disagree with you. If you disagree you must be lying because everyone knows they are right: a bit self-serving. There are more dignified ways of disagreeing with someone.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

... after it was fixed. The 1990 IPCC chart tells a far different picture. https://climateaudit.org/2012/10/09/the-afterlife-of-ipcc-1990-figure-7-1/

Whatever the merits of the info that the link leads to, (and given that it comes from climateaudit.org its merits are dubious) the fact is that the "hockey stick" has been confirmed over and over again by climatologists using different data sources. It is now settled science.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Nonetheless, it is a bit undignified calling someone a liar. This is the tactic employed by the alarmist mob when they disagree with you. If you disagree you must be lying because everyone knows they are right: a bit self-serving. There are more dignified ways of disagreeing with someone.

Well, when someone calls those who disagree with them an "alarmist mob" maybe accusing that someone of being willfully dishonest isn't out of line.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

I've forgotten if it was you or someone who posted that because grapes grew in Britain once upon a time, that means that global warming isn't real. What don't you understand about the fact that Britain is not the entire world.  The surface of Britain covers  209,331 square miles. The surface of land on Earth comes to about 150,000,000 square kilometers. The Earth as a whole has about 500,000,000 square kilometers of surface.

So the UK holds about .14% of land surface. And from this tiny sample you draw conclusions?

Why not? Alarmists would have us draw similar magical conclusions of the global temperature a century or two ago from the paltry data derived by a few random, desultory, clippers and steam ships patrolling a similar percentage of the 350m sq km of sea water that makes up the bulk of the earth's surface.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Why not? Alarmists would have us draw similar magical conclusions of the global temperature a century or two ago from the paltry data derived by a few random, desultory, clippers and steam ships patrolling a similar percentage of the 350m sq km of sea water that makes up the bulk of the earth's surface.

The data is derived from a wide variety of sources already posted in this thread, your ignorance in claiming its from

"paltry data derived by a few random, desultory, clippers and steam ships"

Is just that, ignorance of the facts

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Plenty of links to how proxy determinations of global temperature gets done have been offered. If you don't want to follow those links and learn something, well, that's what's called willful ignorance.

If you read them critically, you'll come to the conclusion that the process of 'calibration' is just another example of magical thinking. Do you really believe it possible to determine the temperature for an interval of years, thousands of years ago, to 0.1C, from tree rings, sediment cores, coral or ice samples and then extrapolate a global average temperature to 0.1C from these few, disparate sites to the whole world? If so, you are not only conceited (in casting aspersions of 'willful(sic) ignorance' but credulous as well. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, goatfarmer said:

And you have data from across the globe to support such a bold claim? 

"evidence does not support globally synchronous periods of anomalous cold or warmth over this time frame, and the conventional terms of 'Little Ice Age' and 'Medieval Warm Period' are chiefly documented in describing northern hemisphere trends in hemispheric or global mean temperature changes in past centuries."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

I alway wondered why the temperature measurements recorded by amateur Victorian scientists are accurate to 0.05 of a degree? 

6 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

If you read them critically, you'll come to the conclusion that the process of 'calibration' is just another example of magical thinking. Do you really believe it possible to determine the temperature for an interval of years, thousands of years ago, to 0.1C, from tree rings, sediment cores, coral or ice samples and then extrapolate a global average temperature to 0.1C from these few, disparate sites to the whole world? If so, you are not only conceited (in casting aspersions of 'willful(sic) ignorance' but credulous as well. 

Well, if it was my opinion alone, you might have a point. But since this is what the overwhelming majority of climatologists believe, I'll go with them rather than the empty rhetoric of an anonymous poster on thaivisa.com

And first you claimed that it was only a few ships taking samples back when and now you claim that samples are being drawn from a few disparate sites. Can you share with us an actual numerical figure of what "few" actually means? Because I've got news for you. "Few" isn't a word that has much use in science in defining quantity. So, since I'm sure you've done the research, share with us what number you actually assign to "few".

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I alway wondered why the temperature measurements recorded by amateur Victorian scientists are accurate to 0.05 of a degree? 

The Gravitational Constant (one of those very important number that most people know nothing about) was measured to within 1% accuracy 250 years ago, and that is a much more difficult measurement than temperature.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goatfarmer said:

Fair point. Even if the claim were true for the particular satellite, there was a major change from infrared to microwave sea surface temperature measurement which meant that data had to be 'merged', or in lay language, 'fixed'. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10872-005-5782-5

Similarly, Nasa explains how its data is
"... quality controlled, calibrated, remapped and merged to provide nearly Global coverage of equal-angle uniform observations."

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/metadata/landing-page/bin/iso?id=gov.noaa.ncdc:C00830

Sounds like a lot of 'fixing' of data.

Data processing is not ‘fixing data’.

Away with you and your climate change denial blogs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Only a trace amount of dye in water can greatly change its properties regarding light and absorption of heat.  The same holds for trace amounts of CO2 and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Yes, but will increasing the dye by 30% make a substantial difference?