Thailand ranks 41st out of 66 for best destinations for remote work

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is ranked at 41st out of 66 countries for best destinations for remote work according to the Global Remote Work Index

Ouch! How bad are the other 25? 

• Haha 1

A few months ago when I was at my local country bumpkin Issan govt hospital, waiting for the jab, I overheard the other farangs in line talking about their online work. Surprisingly I was the only teacher, though many foreign teachers here also earn on the side with online teaching. These guys were all techies, doing web development and e-commence, mentioning AWS and SEO and full stack UX, yadda yadda. Getting a legit visa explicitly for such things is next to impossible. They were all on visas for marriage or retirement, then doing this on the side, a grey area.

The USD's now nearly 37 baht. Woo-hoo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

These guys were all techies, doing web development and e-commence, mentioning AWS and SEO and full stack UX, yadda yadda. Getting a legit visa explicitly for such things is next to impossible.

First time back since the pandemic and I was really surprised by it as well.  I always felt like one or two people out of 50 in a suitable place for remote working were reasonably active before... but this trip it was more like 4-5 out of 20.  

(I was also quite surprised by the big group tours with young westerners... and just how much stuff they were packing into a day!)

With one million people coming on the four new visas and as number 41 out of 66 countries as best destination for remote work, I see 250.000 queuing people already up for the new "remote work visa"...:whistling:

• Haha 1

This ranking is a bit misleading - it is about the people doing remote work in their own country, not people moving to another country. I'm yet to see anyone moving to do remote work from the German beaches. In terms of people relocating to another country to do remote work for better lifestyle and low cost of living Thailand would rank very high.

3 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Who'd in their right mind would want to work out of Thailand and go thru the requirement of a work visa !!!!

There are thousands doing remote work from Thailand and pretty much none is on working visa. All sorts of visas are used, pre-covid the usual visa run would do ok.

I will most assuredly be corrected  -  but aren't VPN's actually illegal in Thailand.........I seem to remember an obscure law that prohibits any sort of encryption or masking of data signals.   What company in their right mind wiould allow remote work without a VPN               Peace

12 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I seem to remember an obscure law that prohibits any sort of encryption or masking of data signals.   

Well, that would kind of rule out online banking too... I do remember discussion of this a long time ago though, and there were some odd rules on the books.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is ranked at 41st out of 66 countries for best destinations for remote work

That's wonderful news.

I hope all those digital nomads read this and stay wherever they are somewhere outside of Thailand. ???? 

• Haha 1

Remote working in Thailand is great with the 5/6 hour time zone advantage to Europe and the 10 to 12 to the US. Also, I pay just 10 dollars a month for a sim card that gives me fast enough mobile internet, so very flexible. Tax? Never paid it, home country doesn't want it as I don't live there anymore, and I certainly won't open Pandora's box here in Thailand. 

Work a couple of hours a day, grab a curry, and then off to the beach.  For me: "Thailand number one"!

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

I'm yet to see anyone moving to do remote work from the German beaches.

Have to agree ???? everybody love it in January! Hopefully have even one + degree! So much fun to freeze your nuts.