Nigerian man in Phuket confirmed as Thailand’s first official case of monkey pox

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has been confirmed as Thailand’s first official infection of monkey pox.

From the link;-

"The exact current location of the patient was not immediately clear"

I wonder If he had possibly been visiting "go - go" bars prior to the confirmation and taking prostitutes back to his room?? Sex Pats beware!!! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Excel said:

Maybe his preferences are not girls at all 

Just as bad really, plenty of young Thai males work the gay spots and live with GFs who work the regular spots. If monkey pox gets established in the Thai gays it'll spread to the BGs in no time at all. And as it's spread via fluid from lesions, like herpes, then condoms won't help much.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The male patient is Nigerian, 27, having arrived from Nigeria recently. He started to have symptoms one week before with a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, swollen lymph nodes, and a red rash starting from his genitals to his face, body, and arms.

So he's obviously feeling under the weather but decides to swing by Thailand!

• Like 1

"Monkeypox, so called because it was first discovered in a monkey, is related to the deadly smallpox virus, which was eradicated in 1980, but is far less severe.

The strain currently circulating outside Africa is the milder of two known versions.

Human monkeypox is first identified in 1970 in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of Congo) in a nine-year-old boy."

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3186145/thailand-confirms-first-monkeypox-infection-day-who-meets

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure hope he's a rich nigerian as this is going to cost him millions

Just another Nigerian prince, searching for someone’s Thai bank account in which he may deposit his inheritance.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure hope he's a rich nigerian as this is going to cost him millions

He is. I think he's  the one who emailed me with a really good financial proposition. A Prince of the realm too. Get well soon and send me my money when you're better Your Highness.

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

What about the monkeys of Lopburi?

it's the Hua Hin monkeys they're most worried about. The HH monkeys are more alluring than the Lopburi ones.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ab1594 said:

Thai news outlets are reporting he has run away from the hospital

Yes, and it's also in English on Khaosod.

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/pfbid0zx9KbSKrLEC8K8PXDLDgv1iejnSJji8coWdqv83n1DVVAk9p9LEqBbmfjMJmxkvol

I would not want to look Nigerian on Phuket now :shock1:

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, ab1594 said:

Thai news outlets are reporting he has run away from the hospital

Apparently he’s been in Thailand a good while and is on overstay. He was staying in Kathu phuket , was tested , and then disappeared and cut his phone off when the hospital contacted him. He had been in numerous bars in Patong and could have infected many . Think it was girls mentioned, who are now being tested or in isolation. He had a visa or at least a photo when he arrived in Thailand as they know he was on overstay. Why not post a photo of him, after all, he is spreading a disease he knows he has ???

1 minute ago, geisha said:

Apparently he’s been in Thailand a good while and is on overstay. He was staying in Kathu phuket , was tested , and then disappeared and cut his phone off when the hospital contacted him. He had been in numerous bars in Patong and could have infected many . Think it was girls mentioned, who are now being tested or in isolation. He had a visa or at least a photo when he arrived in Thailand as they know he was on overstay. Why not post a photo of him, after all, he is spreading a disease he knows he has ???

So he would have caught the virus whilst in Thailand ?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So he would have caught the virus whilst in Thailand ?

That being the case Phuket could well be the epicenter of the virus in Thailand now. Wonder how TAT will swing that one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, blacksuitdandruff said:

You should be only concerned if you are a homosexual male...so the researchers say

if you forget the bi-sexual persons then you are probably right. In the west there are also increasingly registrations of infected woman too.

8 hours ago, Purdey said:

Apparently, it isn't only spread by homosexuals. 

According to the CDC website, Monkeypox can spread from person-to-person through:

direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids

- respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex

- touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids

- pregnant people can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta.

Seems to be anyone can pass it on. 

I'm general, gay men may be more likely to check out skin abnormalities more quickly than straight men. The numbers might be misleading. 

18 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

The current panic about it in western countries aside: this rather harmless sickness has been endemic in a number of African countries for many years now, so getting a case from this source is not surprising.

While there is no specific treatment besides some antivirals, it usually subsides by itself within 2-4 weeks.

My guess would be, that similar imports have happened many times in the past, just never recognized, because nobody looked specifically for it.

The whole thing is of course just a media circus.

What is the evidence of panic in western countries? I certainly haven't seen any sign of of such in the five western countries I have visited since the current outbreak was first reported. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Apparently he’s been in Thailand a good while and is on overstay.

Not according to the OP - and every other report I've read.

The male patient is Nigerian, 27, having arrived from Nigeria recently. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, blacksuitdandruff said:

You should be only concerned if you are a homosexual male...so the researchers say

No, that's not what they say.

While most of the recent cases in Western countries have been in men who have sex with men, that seems to be something of an anomaly. Historically, monkeypox has spread equally easily among men and women.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not according to the OP - and every other report I've read.

You’d better read Thai TBS and phuket news then, I’m not in the habit of scandal mongering. There is also a photo of him in the latter .