Re-entry permit with a Retirement visa

Hello,

I have to leave Thailand for business in the US in mid-August 2022 and then return to Thailand on Sept 01.

My retirement visa ends on Jan 1, 2023. 

In order not to have my retirement visa cancel, I need a re-entry permit, correct? Do I need an agent to get a re-entry permit?

I have not asked the agent who usually renews my retirement visa on how much he charges. What's a reasonable fee if an agent does it for me?

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I always get a multiple every year.

I can't see an agent charging you more than 500 plus the cost

You don't need an agent unless you would rather pay one then go to Immigration yourself. As mentioned, you can get the Re-Entry Permit at the airport - just be sure to allow a little additional time. 

As to single vs multiple Re-Entry Permits, they both will expire on the date your current extension of stay until date. The fee is 1,000 baht for single and 3,800 baht for multiple. 

Which to get depends on your travel plans.  If you plan for as many as 3 trips, you may want go ahead and pay the extra 800 baht for a multiple as it is only one stamp taking up space in your passport instead of 3 stamps.  

• Like 2

Got one at the airport..took about 15 minutes ..need nothing other than your passport .. super simple ..not like the ridiculous local immigration office ..

Fill out 2 pages, photo, wife's ID  !!!!??

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

An agent? Surely not.

Download a TM8 fill in form.

Attach photo.

Pay 1000 baht for single reentry.

3800 for multiple.

Can obtain at immigration or at airport at departure.

Is there a limit on the amount of times that you can re-enter on a multi entry permit ?

13 minutes ago, superal said:

Is there a limit on the amount of times that you can re-enter on a multi entry permit ?

No, none at all, can do unlimited entries up to the expiry date of the visa. However, there's always a trade off between cost and PP pages. If you know you'll be doing 4 or more trips out of Thailand then the multi entry is the obvious best choice. If you knew you were only going to do 1 trip out, then obviously a single entry will suffice. But if you think you'll do 2-3 trips out, then 2 or 3 single entry permits will be cheaper than 1 multi...but you'll be using up valuable pages in your PP.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, superal said:

No. You can enter and exit for as long as you like, as many times as you like, until your visa expires. The multiple entry is very convenient. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Key Visa charged me 1000Bt to get a genuine mistake made by immigration at Swampy when entering the country corrected.

I said I would just go and get it corrected myself as I was going through immigration on my way back to Bangkok anyway. But was told I could be just creating problems if I went myself.

12 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

Do I need an agent to get a re-entry permit?

No, easy peasy, 1,000 baht at the local immigration, made while you wait. You need a photo for the application and often also photocopies of your passport's name page, plus last entry stamp and present extension of stay stamp...:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Key Visa charged me 1000Bt to get a genuine mistake made by immigration at Swampy when entering the country corrected.

I said I would just go and get it corrected myself as I was going through immigration on my way back to Bangkok anyway. But was told I could be just creating problems if I went myself.

Yeah, he pulled a similar one with me too, for 2000 Bt, I fell for it, but haven't been near him since. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, superal said:

No limit per se on a multi entry REP... Except, each permit is only valid for the remaining duration of one's current extension of stay, and in the OP's case, he indicated that was going to end on Jan. 1.  So any reentries on that particular permit would have to be done before then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidleonard said:

I assume that a multi Reentry Permit must be renewed annually expiring on the expiration date of a visa extension.

Although Re-Entry Permits are not renewed, a new one has to be applied for when the old one expires, which is also the date your Permission to Stay expires.  The Re-Entry Permit, whether single or multiple, can be applied for at anytime before a planned trip out of Thailand at a Thai Immigration Office or at the airport before departing.

As others have advised, it is easiest to do the re-entry permit at the airport, where the immigration official will do everything an agent would do and more for 200 baht over and above the cost of the re-entry permit itself. Using an agent (or going to an immigration office yourself) is more trouble, and only worthwhile if leaving Thailand via a land border. Just allow an extra 20 minutes or so at the airport.

• Like 1

Since I live near Suvarnabhumi Airport (and quite far from the Immigration Bureau), is it possible to do a re-entry permit at the airport even if you don't plan to leave the country at that time? (I wouldn't want to leave it to the time of my departure and have something go wrong.) Thanks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

is it possible to do a re-entry permit at the airport even if you don't plan to leave the country at that time?

No 

Also you mention this.......

"I wouldn't want to leave it to the time of my departure and have something go wrong."...

Nothing will go wrong. Zero issue with obtaining reentry permit at airport. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Stocki said:

Where I have to go at the Airport, to obtain a re-entry permit?

At BKK office is Zone 2 after security check and prior to passport control.

At DMK the office is just past passport control. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Since I live near Suvarnabhumi Airport (and quite far from the Immigration Bureau), is it possible to do a re-entry permit at the airport even if you don't plan to leave the country at that time? (I wouldn't want to leave it to the time of my departure and have something go wrong.) Thanks.

You can get a re-entry permit at Samut Prakan Immigration.

Make sure you go to the new office. It's on the first floor. I'd always advise to go early as it's a pain when they close between 12-1.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2021/09/103947884/

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

You can get a re-entry permit at Samut Prakan Immigration.

Make sure you go to the new office. It's on the first floor. I'd always advise to go early as it's a pain when they close between 12-1.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2021/09/103947884/

RAZZ

This would be great for me, as it is MUCH closer to my home. But why did this advice "confuse" DrJack54? Is it not possible for me to get a re-entry permit there?

3 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

But why did this advice "confuse" DrJack54? Is it not possible for me to get a re-entry permit there

Yes you can obtain a reentry permit at an immigration office.

Some obtain one at the same time as they are obtaining annual extension.

If that was not done I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would make trip to immigration when the painless alternative of obtaining permit at airport is available.

It's a no brainer. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 12:58 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Precisely so. My excellent proven agent charges 600 baht service fee for MEP or SEP & 500 baht for each 90 Day Report????

Of course you can get a Single Re- entry Permit at Intl. Airport or Local Immigration yourself before departure to prevent voiding your visa or stay permit????

8 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

This would be great for me, as it is MUCH closer to my home. But why did this advice "confuse" DrJack54? Is it not possible for me to get a re-entry permit there?

You will not be able to get one at immigration in Samut Prakan unless you are living in that province.

If you have a Bangkok address you will have to do it at Chaeng Wattana.

• Thanks 1